Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently got our CWPs and I started looking around for a good carry pistol as my current favorites (Taurus PT99 and Beretta 96) are just too big to carry concealed, especially in florida in the summer. I served in the army as an MP and love the Beretta 92 form factor, but for some reason Beretta does not/will not make a more compact version of the 92 series. I played with some XDs at various gunstores over the past few weeks and decided to take the plunge and purchase one. I played with Glocks and even rented a couple, but I just cannot get over the uncomfortable feeling I get when I hold one. I bought a slightly used XD-9 Service yesterday and ran about 500 rounds through it. I am very impressed! It was fairly accurate (more on that in a sec,) very comfortable and the recoil was great (the same or less than the PT99.) I can see why so many have fell in love with the XD! I plan to pick up a 9mm SC for my wife in the near future as she is now jealous (and hates the snub .38 she currently carries.)

All that said- I am not sure I like the sights on the pistol. The previous owner (Pepper) but XS Big Dot sights on this pistol and they were giving me fits yesterday. At close range (>7 yards) they worked fine and I was holding pretty tight groups, but out at 25 yards, it looked like I was shooting a shotgun at the target. The front sight completely obscured the target. I am used to standard 3 dot sights and am fairly accurate with them. I can see how these sights are probably great for defensive shooting, but I dunno, they were kind of irritating me. Does anyone have any tips for using the Big Dot type sights for longer range shooting, or should I suck it up (or replace them?) I am going to start doing some IDPA shooting and I am not sure if these sights would be effective in that sort of competition.

Maybe I should stick with the Taurus or Beretta for competition type shooting...

All in all though, I can see myself getting very sucked in to the XD school of thought! Sweet, sweet pistol!
8)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Get some Williams firesights.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
XS is awsome for across the bedroom distances. Real good for quick and dirty up cloase work. You may be able to line up the dot just under the where you want to impact so you can line it up left and right then come up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Baa, I'm glad you like the XD. I just bought 2 a couple months ago and love them both. I recently had the TFO sights installed on both and I still have the original sights that came with them. I'm in the Tampa area also, so if you decide you don't like the sights you are using, I can give you a set...just let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts