Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading A LOT on this forum, just joined. I have just purchased an XD 45c and an XD 9sc, both in OD Green. These will be carry guns and I have some questions about trigger work.

Springer precision and Canyon Creek seem to be two very reputable shops for XD Trigger work, I wanted hear any comments from those who have used these shops. Also, Springer has a drop in trigger kit, has anyone used this and how does it compare to a trigger sent to him for work? I also believe there is a kit from Powder River that is quite a bit less cost, but I want to know how well it works. Whatever I do to one, I will do to both so cost is somewhat of an issue.

I am looking forward to this change of arms, I have been shooting and instructing for 20 years I think the XD line with some trigger work and sights will be my home for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My first question is what makes you think you need to have the triggers reworked? XDs are Military Defense type handguns and are designed to be used under high stress many times. having a lite target trigger is not the real Design intent.

So are you just planing to make your XDs just range type handguns?

·
Registered
273 Posts
My first question is what makes you think you need to have the triggers reworked? XDs are Military Defence type handguns and are designed to be used under high stress many times. having a lite target trigger is not the real Design intent.

So are you just planing to make your XDs just range type handguns?
+1....if you're using one of them (or both) as your defense weapons (not solely range workhorses)....I'd leave the trigger as-is. God forbid you EVER need to use it...you don't want some District Attorney or Lawyer pointing out the fact that you had some "evil" trigger job done on the weapon you were forced to use. Just IMHO, anyway....might be better to play it on the safe side w/your carry weapon.

Don't forget....sometimes jurors are very ignorant and can be swayed by such "damning" evidence as Mr. ItchyTrigger and his lightened trigger job....blah blah.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies folks, the trigger thing is more about the long reset than pull weight. After spending a lot of time on single action triggers, it is hard to transission back to a long trigger stroke with any kind of speed. I deal with it on my revolvers and with my PM9 but I would prefer not to all things being equal. It does bring up a good point however, and I will check with Springfield and see what they can do for me, at least the work would have been done by the factory.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I also have a stock trigger. The long reset doesn't seem all that long to me. Guns will vary some and maybe mine just has a better stock trigger.
I tend to agree that modifying a gun or carrying hand loads could look bad in court. Part of the reason I stick to FMJ for SD is because it would look better in court. Think how Dum Dum bullets designed to rip human flesh would sound to a jury. same thing with a trigger job.
The main changes I would dare have on a gun for SD would be sights and grips. You can point out we all have different eyesight and size and shape of hand. Otherwise, dehorning and fluff and buff. Not much else for legal reasons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trade in your XD9sc for an XDm9. One of the improvements they made was a drastically reduced trigger reset.
I have the 9sc because I wanted a sub-compact gun, the XDm is not a sub-compact. Also, I live in California and the XDm was not on the approved list last time I checked.

So am I to believe that everyone on this board that has posted about trigger work on their XD's uses them only for range work?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks, the trigger thing is more about the long reset than pull weight. After spending a lot of time on single action triggers, it is hard to transission back to a long trigger stroke with any kind of speed. I deal with it on my revolvers and with my PM9 but I would prefer not to all things being equal. It does bring up a good point however, and I will check with Springfield and see what they can do for me, at least the work would have been done by the factory.
Just as an aside regarding triggers. In a recent competition the only time I ever beat two of the best shooters in our club was on a rapid fire competition.

How did I beat them? I used the XD and they used 1911's which in both cases they did not release the triggers far enough to reset. slowing them down. Just for what it's worth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a new owner and just shot my XD 45 for the first time yesterday. I found the trigger quite good. It's not a 1911 trigger but it's not designed to be. you can't really compare the two systems. I carry the gun daily and I don't want a trigger that is too light or has a very short take up.
I think Springfield did a good job of mixing safety and functionality.IMHO...:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also new to XD's and have a 45 Tactical. I have only put several hundred rounds through it so far. The trigger is OK, but it is my plan after 500 or so to send it to Springer for his Combat Action Job with a 5 lb trigger. His expertise will only make a good gun better.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
If take up, over travel and reset is the issue then I would go with Powder Rivers kit. That is exactly what it is designed for.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I am also new to XD's and have a 45 Tactical. I have only put several hundred rounds through it so far. The trigger is OK, but it is my plan after 500 or so to send it to Springer for his Combat Action Job with a 5 lb trigger. His expertise will only make a good gun better.

wait for 1000, you may decide you dont need it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts