Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a new XD owner; I recently purchased a 4" service model in 9mm. I'm also new to shooting, having begun back in April with a Ruger MkIII 22/45 handgun and a Ruger 10/22 carbine. The XD is my first centerfire. I know, I know: A 29 year old n00b? I'm a late bloomer, what can I say?

Today, I took the XD to the range for the first time. I put 200 rounds of Reminton UMC through it, and noted a few problems. Being new to shooting and the XD, I assume they're user-error induced, but I wanted to follow up with other owners.

First, the slide caught about eight spent casings as they ejected, forcing me to clear the slide before continuing to fire. Second, on four occassions the rounds failed to feed correctly, requiring me to eject the cartridge. Third, most of the time the slide failed to lock back after the last round in the clip was fired. Fourth, I found that the clips were extremely difficult to feed rounds into beginning around the eighth one, to the point that by round ten, my thumbs were wicked sore.

Are any of these normal? I didn't clean the gun before going to the range, so I imagine that might have something to do with problems one and two.

Thanks for the feedback.

-James

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No, none of that is normal. Clean it, oil it, take it back and shoot it again. Make sure you keep that thumb off the slide when you shoot. If it still fails, it is time to go back to Springfield. :(

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dont worry about it bud this things seem to get better the more you feed them. I would clean it with some rem oil or something, and about the mags its just that way mine are just now getting loose after around 1000 rd's so keep fireing away bud. By the way what kind of ammo were you using? I use WWB and she loves it eats up every one of them. Let me know there are alot of great guys here that could help you out. Welcome to the XD board.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi All,

I'm a new XD owner; I recently purchased a 4" service model in 9mm. I'm also new to shooting, having begun back in April with a Ruger MkIII 22/45 handgun and a Ruger 10/22 carbine. The XD is my first centerfire. I know, I know: A 29 year old n00b? I'm a late bloomer, what can I say?

Today, I took the XD to the range for the first time. I put 200 rounds of Reminton UMC through it, and noted a few problems. Being new to shooting and the XD, I assume they're user-error induced, but I wanted to follow up with other owners.

First, the slide caught about eight spent casings as they ejected, forcing me to clear the slide before continuing to fire. Second, on four occassions the rounds failed to feed correctly, requiring me to eject the cartridge. Third, most of the time the slide failed to lock back after the last round in the clip was fired. Fourth, I found that the clips were extremely difficult to feed rounds into beginning around the eighth one, to the point that by round ten, my thumbs were wicked sore.

Are any of these normal? I didn't clean the gun before going to the range, so I imagine that might have something to do with problems one and two.

Thanks for the feedback.

-James
Make sure you're not limp-wristing or catching the slide stop lever with your thumb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont worry about it bud this things seem to get better the more you feed them. I would clean it with some rem oil or something, and about the mags its just that way mine are just now getting loose after around 1000 rd's so keep fireing away bud. By the way what kind of ammo were you using? I use WWB and she loves it eats up every one of them. Let me know there are alot of great guys here that could help you out. Welcome to the XD board.
I was using Remington UMC 9mm Luger 115 gr.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
All of mine have been flawless from the plastic box.

Try some different ammo.

Did all your problems come from one magazine or all of them?

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only thing that sounds normal about that is that your thumbs got soar when loading the last few rounds into new magazines (not clips). The springs tend to get slightly easier to load with time, but mainly you get the hang of the technique over time. You can always get one of those easy thumb loading tools. Thats what I use.

As for those malfunctions thats not normal. Having Failure to Eject (stovepipes) Failure to Feed, and Failure to Battery malfunctions all in one outing is not normal. especially as many as you say you are having. if you had two of any one of those malfunctions you might be able to pass it off as break in, but what your describing is a problem. you need to talk to Springfield Armory.

Assuming your not catching the slide lock release with your thumb, and you aren't limpwristing. Like people have stated already. Although I think limpwristing is a bit unlikely. I have tried to cause malfunctions with my XD's by limpwristing and have been unable to do so.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The failures to eject with the case getting caught by the slide are caused by limp wristing, more than likely the slide failing to lock was also caused by this. On the failures to feed, did they happen with one mag or both?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would say you are probably limp wristing the gun, I think that would explain almost all of your problems. Ask someone at your range to watch you while you shoot and point out where your week points are, specifically how you can improve your grip. I wouldnt worry about it being a problem with the pistol just yet.

As far as the magazines being hard to load, thats pretty normal I think. XD mags are some of the stiffest magazines out of the box that I've ever come across. Give them a little time and they will break in just fine though. Try using the mag loader that came with it, makes life alot easier during break in.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I misread your post, I guess you weren't having failure to battery malfuncations, just the other two. It does sort of sound like you might be catching the slide lock release lever with your thumb while shooting. That doesn't necessarily explain your stovepipe malfunctions though, but I suppose it could retard the slide speed enough to cause it.

I would probably try another 50 rounds paying close attention to how you are holding the gun. You can find multiple places online that will demonstrate proper grip. If you still have problems then look into warranty work.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My friend had the exact same problems, I suggested he was holding the gun wrong. He just laughed at me and said it had to be a problem with the gun!

He was limp wrist'ing and tea cupping it plus the thumb catching the slid. He made the gunsmith at the range check his gun, was perfectly fine.

Do a few google searches and you can see all the proper technique just to be sure you were holding the gun correctly. Should be an easy thing to correct and you wont have any problems again :-D .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, everyone, for your timely replies. I think I'll go with my gut and suspect user error before I pursue sending it back to Springfield. I checked the slide on the XD and it locks back fine at home with unloaded magazines (not clips, sorry!). I will follow your advice about cleaning the gun and having someone check my grip while I shoot. Like I said, I'm new to both shooting in general and the XD in particular. I didn't have this problem with a Glock 17, but now that I think about it, I did have a similar problem with the slide locking back on the first centerfire I shot, a H&K P2000. Coincidence? Perhaps not!

·
Registered
8 Posts
James,

Box up the XD mag loader that came with your XD and go out and spend the money on a "Lula Up loader" it's a mag loader that beats all the rest to hell and gone! Spend the money, and ALWAYS scan your area.:lol:

Tap and Rack,

BigTiki007

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I would suspect all the symptoms you've experienced have been self-induced, and following the advice regarding limp-wristing, thumb off the slide release, etc. will make a world of difference when corrections are made. As to your choice of ammo, Remington UMC is the only ammo we've used since the purchase of my wife's XD-9sc, and in over 500 rounds so far, not a single failure. Dick's Sporting Goods has had a sale on this ammo a couple of times in our area, and at only about $9/box of 50 it was too good a deal to pass up.

Get yourself a UPLULA universal pistol loader and save your fingers and thumbs...$25 from MidwayUSA. I can reload my wife's magazines almost as fast as she can empty them!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
James,

Don't feel bad about being a 29 yo noob. Although I had used rifles in my younger days, I was almost 50 before I seriously got into handguns. As others have said, a lot of what is happening sounds like limp wristing. Grip is very important. A search on here will bring up a lot of information for new shooters. Read the stickies on marksmanship. Also I would strongly recommend finding an NRA basic pistol course. It's cheap and will save you a lot of time learning by trial and error.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Mags being tough to load is normal...LOad up the mags and leave them loaded after the range you will be surprised the next time you try to load them. THe other problems I would have to agree that it sounds more like technique than weapon problem. Have someone watch you as has been suggested or have someone else fire it and see if they have the same problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback.

-James
This exact same thing happened to me during my first trip out with the XD9 last week. I even cleaned/lubed it before the first time out. I was VERY frustrated. I shot about 100 range reloads, 50 Remington UMC and it was happening every 3 rounds or so, and then wasn't locking back on the last round. Opened some WWB and it started shooting great.

Took it home and cleaned/lubed it. Next day out it shot everything flawlessly.

I attribute it to not lubing the recoil spring enough before going out the first time. It was my first time cleaning/lubing a firearm, so I'm sure I made some mistakes. I shot another 300+ rounds through it flawlessly the following days just to ease my mind :cool:

·
Registered
693 Posts
One thing I did to help with the mags was load all of my mags with their max storage using the loader that comes with the xd and keep them all loaded all the time. Kinda broke em in I guess. Plus make sure you're using all your mags when shooting so that they are all getting broken in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts