Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and I just got my 9mm XD Bi-tone I have owned a lot of all metal hand guns this is my first polymer gun. So I get it home
field strip and clean it and then I do something I later find out is bad I frog lube ever part of it I mean I put it every were. Now that I did some reading on the forum I realize I put lube were I shouldn't have. so now what do I just field strip it clean it with alcohol and start over or do I have to really take it completely apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks chris

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Welcome fm tn, I'd just wipe it down. But the striker channel should be cleaned out, pull the striker and wipe it clean w alcohol or whatever . Dry out the inside of the barrel with some swatches. And run it.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
ChrisU, No worries my friend.

Try to follow this great guide by PRP. This will show you how to remove the striker. Once removed you can use some alcohol on a cotton swab to remove the FrogLube.
Now, this is where many opinions come in......... take a q-tip and put 1 to 2 drops of oil on a swab, and swipe it into the striker channel. Then take the dry end of the swab and rub it in there again to remove any excess. (Normally, you don't want any lube/wet in the striker channel to collect debris and slow the travelling of the striker, causing light strikes. However, since we are using Alcohol as a degreaser to do away with any Frog Lube we want to make sure that we put a super light coat of oil back on any metal parts with absolutely no lube.) Again the metal is finished but, I just am not comfortable, with absolutely nothing on it. :)

By a good punch set too, with a roll pin punch if you don't have it, because it's needed and will save you a lot of headache.

Enjoy and welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and I just got my 9mm XD Bi-tone I have owned a lot of all metal hand guns this is my first polymer gun. So I get it home
field strip and clean it and then I do something I later find out is bad I frog lube ever part of it I mean I put it every were. Now that I did some reading on the forum I realize I put lube were I shouldn't have. so now what do I just field strip it clean it with alcohol and start over or do I have to really take it completely apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks chris
Reclean it. Too much lube is more harmful than too little. The oil/grease traps and holds dirt and grit what will wear the metal. These guns are designed to run well almost dry. A toothpick point of grease (I use white lithium) in a couple of wear points is all it will ever need. Do NOT, NOT lube the striker or striker channel Clean it and wipe it completely dry. Lube in this area will hold dirt that may cause light strikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts