Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've had my XD40 for about a month now and have been reading this forum for that long. The XD is my first handgun and I am enjoying it very much so far. The only accessory that i have right now is an xml mini light. I am looking to upgrade and accessorize my XD. I've noticed that Springfield Armory offers upgrade packages and options. I am particularly interested in some night sights or fiber optic (one in the same?) and some type of protective coating. Possibly trigger work, and something along the lines of a barrel conversion, or I've noticed that Springfield has a couple of options for a more accurate barrel. What do ya'll think of an extended mag release button? I don't really want to throw a ton of money into my gun without getting some suggestions from experienced owners first. So please, if you have any suggestions or advice, please throw them at me (the more, the better). Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome! I think you'll enjoy your new xd very much. As for upgrading and modifying your gun, i'd say just wait a little and get familiar with it. Then if u still feel the need, you can upgrade it. If u really wanted to do something to it... i'd say get a new Don's guide rod and spring from pistol-gear.com. Its a great upgrade that should make ur gun a little easier to handle. As for sights, well Springfield custom offers several different sight options. Three different night sights, some fiber optic ones, and some adjustable ones as well. I don't think there is need to modify the barrel unless you really planned on using it in competition or something like that. Its been pretty damn accurate for me right out of the box. As for barrel conversions, thats if u want to shoot say the 9 to save on ammo cost. I myself haven't tried it, but many on this site have... try searching for the topic. hope that helps some.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd say don't get anything unless you need it. Night sights would make the most sense if you plan on defensive carry. They may help you at the range too. No need to Kote the gun until you scratch it up a bunch. A few extra mags might come in handy.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Best accessory for your XD right now is more ammo and range time. :) After a while if you want to look into other accessories then check the board sponsors, particularly www.pistol-gear.com and www.xd-hs2000.com. Service from them will be quicker than Springfield's and often better in other respects as well.

Good luck and congrats on your XD.
jonas

·
Registered
24 Posts
basilhayden said:
night sights or fiber optic (one in the same?)
I was confused by the term "fiber optic" too.

You know the colored acrylic rods from TAP plastic? The ones that look really bright from the end? "Fiber optic" sights have a piece of that stuff in them. The length of the rod absorbs light and releases it at the end making the sight appear to glow.

TRUGLOW is a major manufacturer.

When I think of night sights I think of tritium. Tritium actually glows in the dark like old watches.

Dan

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
fiber optic = colored plastic, tritium = radioactive hydrogen isotope

tritium EMITS light, fiber optic does not, it just "gathers" it. In a pitch black room, you won't see your fiber optic sights, you will see the tritium though.

·
Registered
539 Posts
chupacabrachus said:

tritium EMITS light, fiber optic does not, it just "gathers" it. In a pitch black room, you won't see your fiber optic sights, you will see the tritium though.
Then there is the TruGlo TFO(tritium fiber optics) that pistol-gear sells and has gotten some good reviews from board members here. not sure exactly how these work, but i know alot of guys on here have raved about them.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
chupacabrachus said:

Actualy H3 or Tritium does not give of any light. What it does give of are electrons and neutrinos due to the process known as beta-decay. The electrons are used to excite the electron shells of atoms in a scintilation medium which then emit photons (light) as their electron shells go back to a ground state. This is a very usefull phenomenon in certain radioassays (especially in biology) and of course night sights. BTW, the radiation is negligeable and unless you ingest or inhale tritium or a tritiated substance you have nothing to worry about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts