Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after dreaming for a long time I finally was able to put some money aside and buy myself a XD Tactical in 40 S&W. Went to the range yesterday and shot a box (100) of WWB and magtech (50) cheapies that the range had.

I've rented a couple XDs in the past and it has been the first handgun that ever fit me well enough for me to enjoy.

First few magazines worth I got about 2.5-3" groups but it got worse as I went. Probably wasn't taking my time and was just enjoying my new toy (I know its not a toy!).

I've seen some questions on finish wearing off so I wanted to ask. I'd say about 50% of the finish on the guide rod is gone as well as say... 20% of the finish on the first half or so of the barrell including the square part that you see from the ejector port etc when the slide is closed. sorry don't know the exact terms. I'm wondering if its normal? I'm not to worried about it but since I dropped a major chunk of change on the gun and supplies to mantain it I don't want to wait until it becomes to late to fix something.

I oiled the slides etc before I went to the range and afterwords run a boresnake with good ol' hoppies number 9 through a few times. I also reoiled everything. The slide and slide release seemed a lot smoother after shooting and reoiling. I'm assuming it will take a few trips to the range before everything wears in properly.

Anyone used Militec-1 gun oil? The place I purchased the gun showed me the flyer saying the military was using this stuff in iraq and other desert areas so it sold me... being in AZ.

I'm waiting on 1000 rounds of Wolf ammo from cabelas. I know a lot of people hate it my dad has used it a lot in his barreta and never had an issues. I figure as long I stick to my regamine of cleaning it after every outing it should not be a problem. I may start releading if I burn through this stuff as quickly as I'm expecting too.

I'm itching to go back tonight....

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Congrats on a fine purchase, my next gun will be an XD40 Tactical to become my new USPSA Limited 10 gun. The internal finish wear is very normal. Anytime you have metal on metal you will have some type of wear and it will not hurt anything. I use TW25 grease on my slide rails and barrel, best lube ive ever found!

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, it is addicting. NO offense, but here are a bunch of questions and suggestions that I have compiled from the forum. I am not saying you do / don't know this stuff, but ..................

General Questions and Answers:
Author assumes no responsibility for actions taken by users of this Q & A section.
Use these SUGGESTIONS at YOUR OWN RISK!
If reading this with a / your gun nearby, please unload and verify the gun is unloaded now before proceeding any further with reading.
The questions and the answers listed here are taken from the questions and the answers and the comments of readers of this forum, not from the main dealer, manufactuer, or a
licensed gun smith. Treat the comments listed here as a suggestion of what could be done.

If in doubt, consult your Manuel for your handgun.
If in doubt, consult a reputable firearms service center.
If in doubt, consult SPRINGFIELD ARMS.

Never “play” with a handgun, loaded or not
Always unload the gun before handling.
Read the manufactures gun safety suggestions, and follow them.
Do take the time to attend a gun safety class(es).

Introduction to the XD Pistol: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/techside/xd_010305/
Another introduction to the XD, this time leaning towards the sub compact model, VERY informative site: http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/xdcomp.htm

1.)
Q: Can the magazine be left loaded for extended periods of time?
A: yes, it will not hurt the magazine or the spring. Actually makes loading a full magazine easier.

2.)
Q: I can’t get the slide (aka dust cover) off?
A: Take the magazine out first.
B. Lock the slide back.
C. Flip the disassembly lever up,
D. Pull the trigger,
E. Slide the slide forward, it will come right off.

3.)
Q: Do XD’s rust.
A: Yes all metal can rust with improper care. Note, Improper care. Also, some XD’s may have a surface rust issue. Contact Springfield Armory about this.

4.)
Q: If my XD is rusting, will I have to pay SA to refinish it?
A: Depends on what type of rust. It is best to contact them for correct answer. Surface rust, generally they pay for basic refinish. Rust from damage, probably yes, you pay.
A: http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20321&highlight=finish

5.)
Q: Can I put different sights in?
A: Yes. Some have a hard time, some easy. http://www.xd-hs2000.com/shopping

6.)
Q: Can I buy an XD and put in aftermarket barrels?
A: Yes. Pistolgear.com and AJAMES have some, as well as others here on the forum.

7.)
Q: Failure to feed / eject?
A: Try adjusting your magazine feed lips.
A: Dismantle and clean your magazine inside and lightly lube.
A: Are you “limp wristing”? Hold your wrist a little more stiff.
A: Is your thumb interfering with the slide action, many times this is the problem. Hold your thumb down just a little lower.
A: Sometimes the springs in the magazines need to be broken in. Leave the mags full until you get to the range. Give it a try
A: defective design of the 40 S&W round. The short stubby round with a truncated cone bullet is just made to jam up against the chamber top, especially if the lip of the case catches on the edge of the chamber. It does not matter what gun, HK, Glock, SIG, S&W or CZ, the tying factor seems to be the round. My suggestion is try to use only rounds with rounded flat point, they seem to feed better. I know that does not do much in case of JHP usualy but that is the nature of the beast

Author assumes no responsibility for actions taken by users of this Q & A section.

8.)
Q: What is a good product to protect the XD?
A: Whatever works best for you.
A: Something safe for a polymer gun
A: Blue Wonder makes a product called Armadillo that works great.

9.)
Q: What is Armadillo?
A: A wax protectant for your metal parts. Heating the wax a little helps in the application of it, or the use of a wet warm application towel.

10.)
Q: Is brand XXXXXXX ammo any good?
A; Try it, find out.

11.)
Q: Brand XXXXXX ammo always jambs up my gun.
A: Use different ammo.
A: You might have to polish your feed ramp.

12.)
Q: What is the feed ramp?
A: With the gun disassembled, it is the part of the barrel where the shell casing enters. It is shinny and at an angle. The bullet nose and case slide up this to enter the barrel. Sometimes the ramp gets debris, scratched or even is just a little off angle for the type of round your are shooting.

13.)
Q: What is the best defense round?
A: The one that hits the target.

14.)
Q: Can I mount a holo sight on my gun?
A: Yes. There are sight mounts for the glocks that, with modification, Can fit the XD.
A: http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/

15.)
Q: Being a plastic gun, is it durable?
A: Yes. It is used be various militaries around the world.

16.)
Q: Where is the XD made?
A: Croatia. Europe. Used by their armed forces.

17.)
Q: Can I put my buddies 40cal barrel in my 9mm frame.
A: NO.

18.)
Q: Can I buy other caliber barrels for my xd?
A: Yes. Check AJAMES or pistolgear.com.

19.)
Q: Why can’t I rack the slide?
A: Are you holding the grip safety in?

20.)
Q: What should I do when the gun has a FTE?
A: Read your Manuel from the manufacture.

21.)
Q: Can I have the trigger reworked to a lighter pull?
A: Contact your local gunsmith
A: Ask on the forum.
A: Yes it can be done

22.)
Q: Should I wear a towel on my head to improve my shooting?
A: No.

23.)
Q: Can I shoot my gun underwater?
A: Why would you want to? Some say yes, some say no. Ask Springfield for the Proper answer.

24.)
Q: Are there any accessories for the XD?
A: Yes. Every month more items are coming out. Again, check AJAMES and Pistolgear.com and others. Everything from holsters to lights and lasers. Barrels to refinishing.

25.)
Q: Can I replace my striker?
A: Yes, details online.

26.)
Q: What is stippling?
A: Customizing of the gun grip. It looks like somebody touches the grip a bunch of times with a hot soldering iron, creating little dimples all over the handle to improve grip.

27.)
Q: What can I use to better the grip on my XD, on the cheap side?
A: Bicycle tire tube cut to length and slide it up on the handgrip.

28.)
Q: Do I need to oil my gun?
A: Yes. Lightly. Too much oil will attract dirt.
A: There are many different products out there to purchase and use. Dry lubricant’s work well.

29.)
Q: Do I need to oil my magazines?
A: Oil attracts dirt. Try a dry lubricant if you must.

30.)
Q. Do I need to clean the XD after every use?
A: No. But it is good too do so. Some users have shot upwards of 4k to 5k rounds without cleaning. Some more, Some less. Some clean it every time. Some clean it every week, used or not.

31.)
Q: Will SA buy back my 10 round magazines?
A: Ask them. It depends on when you purchased the gun in relation to the ban expiring.

32.)
Q: I shoot low/high/left/right/ a little low and to the left. What am I doing wrong?
A: http://americanshooter.com/Features/features.html
A: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

33.)
Q. What is WWB?
A. Winchester White Box ammo.

If in doubt, consult SPRINGFIELD ARMS

34.)
Q: My “chamber loaded” indicator is stuck in the UP position. What is wrong?
A: Is the gun loaded. Is a round in the chamber?
A: Parts 37,38, or 39... The spring keeps the indicator down unitl a round is chambered which lifts it up. I think what you will need to do is take down the entire slide dissembly..(you don't have to take out the extractor if you don't want to, this should not be part of your problem.) I would bet that you have some piece of "gunk" lodged between the slide frame and your indicator that is stuck in there.. that will be easy enough to see after you remove the indicator, indicator spring, and indicator pin, and the entire slide assembly
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html Click on slide disassembly.

35,)
Q. Are there any CAD drawings for the XD?
A. http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20900&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30url
A. http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=21209&highlight=

36.)
Q. What is the size of a XD?
A. Slide width at widest point = 1.090"
Plastic frame width just below slide = 1.190"
grip just above magazine = 1.210"
Widest part of grip (includes the raised thumb "lump" area) = 1.264
Absolute widest point (includes protrusion from slide release) = 1.286"

If comparing to other guns, bear in mind Springfield measures the overall length the way I would (total length from end of barrel to whatever point extends farthest back, be it beavertail, slide, etc.). Some (Glock) measure the total slide length, but neglect to include the portion of the grip that extends even more behind that point.

37.)
Q. What is the size difference of a XD verses a Glock?
A.

38.)
Q.) XD size compared to a sig?
A.) the XD service is nearly identical in size to the Sig 228/229
B.) Bianchi 19L holster shows the same size for the XD as the Sig 2340 & 2009

39.)
Q. Is the Bi-tone stainless steel?
A. YES Bi Tone is stainless. Bead blasted stainless and that's why it doesn't have the "bling".This it true. Remember, Stainless = Stain LESS. It CAN rust, but isn't as prone to rust. Also, there are different grades of stainless steel that will offer more or less resistance to rust.
B. No matter what you get, you still need to take care of it.

40.)
Q. Is the warrenty transferabile to a new owner?
A. According to their info pack that goes with the gun upon purchase. Paragraph one on the description of the "limited lifetime warrenty". " Springfield, Inc. warrents to the initial retail purchaser that the products it wells will be free of defects in workmanship or material during his or her lifetime as long as he or she owns the product............" . Note that it says " ... initial retail purchaser...". however, later on it also states in the section titled " Disclaimer of Liability" ( half way thru paragraph #2) . " Springfield, Inc. will not be responsible for the results of careless handeling, unauthorized repairs and adjustments, corrosion.........." .Note that it says S.A will not be responsible for ..........corrosion. And we know what they have been doing for corrosion.

41.)
Q. Ammo magazine descriptions- (as with everything else here, it is subjective)
A. *Standard capacity = a flush mag that does not extend past the end of the grip.

*High capacity = A mag that usually holds over 20 rounds and extends several inches from the grip.

*Clinton mag = a magazine that was designed to hold more then ten rounds, but had been altered to diminish the capacity to comply with federal legislation in effect from 1994 to 2004.

*Clip = A stripper clip that is designed to load various rifles such as a SKS.
42.)
Q. 9mm??????
A. 9mm Luger = 9mm Parabellum = 9x19mm = 9mm ammo. Just different name for the same thing.

43.)
Q. Who is a “Delija” and a “Captain Ray”?
A. Two guys having a contest too see who can be meaner to each other.

44.)
Q. How loud is a gun shot?
A. http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

·
Registered
513 Posts
There goes tec again. I bought some Militec oil and grease. The grease is ok but probably tetra is probably just as good. The oil is ok but I switched back to FP-10. I do not buy into a oil/conditioner for the metal parts to the gun that bond with heat and use of the gun that over time it will be protected if dry. There was a test awhile back somewhere and Breakfree came out at the top. Militec showed signs of rust in the test where Breakfree did not. I also tried the Tuf cloth but now stick to the Blue Wonder Products, GREAT STUFF. Welcome and safe shooting.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Welcome to the forum Beardedman II. :)

Have fun, be safe and take it nice and easy.

Practice makes perfect and in the mean time have fun too.

My thoughts on the use of Wolf ammo is listed below. :wink:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tips! I haven't decided on the militec-1 stuff. Seems a little "to good to be true". I got it because it was all they had there mostly. What is the favorite these days? I'll use it for a little bit and see how I like it.

Damnit I need to get back to the range!

Anyone in AZ? I'm trying to decide if I should get a membership to Phoenix rod and gun club. $100 is a heck of a deal VS caswells prices. I'm equal distances from both. Plus I'd be able to bring out some of the other stuff to shoot not just handgun calibers.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would not be afraid to use the militec until it is gone then stick with the tried and true stuff that others recomend. FP-10 by Shooter's Choice, Breakfree CLP and many other quality oils. Even sewing machine oil is some of the best stuff to use. I still like grease in the slide rails vs. oil. I am still using the rest of the militec stuff and if it does as advertised, by the time I am thru with the bottle it should be protected for many years plus I will still be using some kind of protectant/oil. Try the Blue Wonder line of products, I think you will like what they have to offer. I am very pleased how clean the barrel is after using the Gun Cleaner plus it is non toxic and can be washed off in the sink.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats pretty much what I figured I'd do. Since I'm cleaning it every time I figure it will go pretty quick.

I think I'll hit the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I went to the range Sat and fired off another 90 rounds. Would have done more but I already dropped the cash on those 1000rds so I'm trying to wait until they show up! Either I really lost some skill between my first outing and this one or I confirmed something I've suspected. I've always wondered if practicing in an indoor range really gives you an accurate picture. It was over 100 degrees on Sat and I'm wondering if that had an effect on my accuracy. Especially with the bullet going from shade to sun. Maybe I'm crazy but it would seem like that should effect it? Question is does it effect someone of my skill level?

I'm starting to wonder about the trigger... the trigger is one of the original reasons I liked the XDs because I felt there was a defined point at which I knew the weapon was going to fire. Nothing worse than being suprised etc. It makes shooting less fun. Can anyone give me the idiots guide to triggers and how to improve them? I'm thinking I'd be better with something a little smoother in the long run.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Welcome...soak up the knowledge in this forum. there are alot of great knowledgeable people here. Now that you have your new XD Its time to hit the range and Get time in there to get to that comfort level with your XD . As hobocircus stated Practice makes perfect....Enjoy the madness!
Im from Arizona. There are a few other places you can try depending where your at. You may want to try Ben Avery Shooting Facility (www.basfaz.com) or another option is Shooters world in Pheonix at Indian School and I-17 @ 25th Ave. (www.azshootersworld.com)
Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
beardman2 said:
well I went to the range Sat and fired off another 90 rounds. Would have done more but I already dropped the cash on those 1000rds so I'm trying to wait until they show up! Either I really lost some skill between my first outing and this one or I confirmed something I've suspected. I've always wondered if practicing in an indoor range really gives you an accurate picture. It was over 100 degrees on Sat and I'm wondering if that had an effect on my accuracy. Especially with the bullet going from shade to sun. Maybe I'm crazy but it would seem like that should effect it? Question is does it effect someone of my skill level?

I'm starting to wonder about the trigger... the trigger is one of the original reasons I liked the XDs because I felt there was a defined point at which I knew the weapon was going to fire. Nothing worse than being suprised etc. It makes shooting less fun. Can anyone give me the idiots guide to triggers and how to improve them? I'm thinking I'd be better with something a little smoother in the long run.
I wouldn't worry about how your shooting skills are right now. It takes years of practice to get it right. Also don't expect to be good every time, just like in any sport we all have off days. There are times I go out and hit everything just great and then other times I am shaky and don't do as well. Take each shot slowly and deliberatly. Sometimes we all get impatient and start to "maching gun" our rifle and pistols. It's fun, but that is all you get out of it. Take it slow and easy and learn from each shot.

You'll get to know you trigger as time goes on and the mechanism will improve as you break it in (mine did). If later you want a better trigger, I would send it off to one of the pros as suggested by our forum members.

Have fun, be safe. 8)

P/S. Hot weather makes shooting uncomfortable if you are standing out in the blazing sun :oops: You just can't wait to get back in your car and in the air conditioning. Bullets going from sun to shade have no affect on accuracy. It's been hot here in Nevada, I usually go out for a hour or so, early in the morning (if I can wake up) or I really like the few hours right before the sun goes down. Nice! 8)

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where do you like to shoot (teamxd)? I think I like PRGC...except climate controlled shooting will be more comfertable for the next few months.

I've been to ben avery but caswells and PRGC are closer from Tempe.

Looks like the ammo should be here Wed at the latest so I'll probably be heading out as soon as I get it. What is considered average and good shooting? Thats the one thing I haven't been able to figure out. Even yesterday when I wasn't happy there weren't but a couple outside of the Kill zone on the body shaped targets at 20 feet. However I'd like to improve that alot and eventually at further distances.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i thought i replied to this post already, but apparently i didnt....

the XD tactical is one of the best feeling/shooting guns ive ever shot. It is soooooo enjoyable and its accuracy is amazing. Even at long distances!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I shoot and am a member at the Rio Salado Sportsman's Club 3960 N. Usery Pass Road Mesa, Its out doors ,but i usualy go out in the mornnings on weekdays. or during the day . The heat dose not bother me. lived here too long i guess.
It dose not get to me till its over 110 oF

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't been there yet. It would be a lot closer to my brother in law so I may have to try it one of these days.

yeah much above 110 and its just not right.. 113-114 is ok but when you get those 118 days you might as well start hosing down your house so it doesn't burst into flames. Had my great uncle (From WI) walking a junk yard with me looking for some parts for his old cars once in 118.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I've been camping in 119 degrees in Afton Canyon in California. Even in the shade we all started getting drunk and we didn't have alcohol to drink :shock: We couldn't sleep at night because it was so hot. Laying on top of your sleeping bag made you sweat. It was terrible. :twisted: Only way to keep cool was to ride your dirt bike all day and splash water on yourself at the water pump. :x

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah...spent a couple days camping on a boat around the same temps worst sun burn of my life... slept on one of those inflatable rafts with a towel over it... turned over and got sand all over with a sunburn... ouuuch.

yeah water is important. Drinking obviously but having enough to wet your head now and then can be a life saver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts