Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It's been a few years since I've posted here, but I just picked up a new OSP 4.5 (my 4th XD-M) and I could use some input.

My new one is a black 9mm with the standard and threaded barrels, along with three optic mount plates and suppressor height sights. It will eventually replace my full size 3.8 & Storm Lake threaded barrel. I plan to run this one in at least dual roles as a suppressor host and a Carry Optics match/range gun, swapping barrels as necessary.

I've already swapped in the PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit and extended mag release from the 3.8. I'll replace the striker retainer pin when I get around to mounting an optic. I expect I'll have to shorten a stainless roll pin to fit in under the slide cut.

Which optic do you prefer on your OSP & why?

Any recommendations for Carry Optics competition holsters that will accommodate the tall front sight? So far the only cataloged holster I've only found that may meet my specs is the Comp-Tac International.

Thanks!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I personally have the Holosun 507c-gr and Vortex Venom 3moa. I will be selling the Vortex and getting another Holosun. The green 33moa circle with 2moabdot is so much more intuitive and forgiving.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. Holosun wasn't even on my short list. I'll check them out.

What mount plate does it need?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The same as a RMR.

I’m just a couple days away from receiving XDM-10 OSP, and a couple more for the HE507C-GR-V2. I also have been hunting for owb holsters. Have you found any you like? I will be ordering a chest holster also but those tend to be semi-custom leather (Diamond D) or Kydex (QuickLock or Kenai). Thanks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I’m just a couple days away from receiving XDM-10 OSP, and a couple more for the HE507C-GR-V2. I also have been hunting for owb holsters. Have you found any you like? I will be ordering a chest holster also but those tend to be semi-custom leather (Diamond D) or Kydex (QuickLock or Kenai). Thanks.
Advanced Cut Holster (OWB Only) - Red River Tactical

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered and received a Comp-Tac International. My OSP is a match/range/suppressor host gun.

I haven't had it to the range yet, maybe today.

The only downside to the International I've discovered is its fit around the mag release. With the extended mag release I have in the gun, a slight bump to the grip frame while holstered pops the mag loose. I will have to relieve some material around the mag release or go back to the factory release.

No word from Springfield on the optic plate screws yet.

BTW, who did you order your HE507C-GR-V2 from?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kenzie’s
Happy guy here. The 10mm OSP came in, and I’ll give it a run when range reopens. Feels pretty good in the hand, better than my G29SF or old Delta Elite. Eventually I will likely add PRP drop-in trigger “just because.” For bush carry, I’m inclined toward a standard 4.5” barrel when those start appearing for sale. I can certainly live with what came in the box, though.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have the PRP extreme trigger in my 10mm and absolutely love it. It's as good as a striker fired pistol trigger will get. It breaks clean and crisp at just over 2.5 pounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the PRP extreme trigger in my 10mm and absolutely love it. It's as good as a striker fired pistol trigger will get. It breaks clean and crisp at just over 2.5 pounds.

Jester560: Excellent. I decided to go with PRP Drop In kit and might stick with stock weight trigger spring as this is primarily for camp and fishing carry (though it would be a comforting bedside surprise). I also picked up a PRP steel guide rod to see if it helps with balance or weight. Any thoughts on the springing or guide rod? I’m likely to use mostly hard cast Buffalo Bore 200gr or the Federal 180gr Trophy Bonded (Hornady XTP is what is available locally right now, sufficient self defense). I’m fairly accustomed to lighter triggers but prefer to be conservative for carry.

Also, if anyone hears of a plain vanilla 4.5” barrel for sale, I’m actively looking. I had initially hoped a 10mm OSP might come with both type barrels — like some other calibers — but no such luck.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Jester560: Excellent. I decided to go with PRP Drop In kit and might stick with stock weight trigger spring as this is primarily for camp and fishing carry (though it would be a comforting bedside surprise). I also picked up a PRP steel guide rod to see if it helps with balance or weight. Any thoughts on the springing or guide rod? I’m likely to use mostly hard cast Buffalo Bore 200gr or the Federal 180gr Trophy Bonded (Hornady XTP is what is available locally right now, sufficient self defense). I’m fairly accustomed to lighter triggers but prefer to be conservative for carry.

Also, if anyone hears of a plain vanilla 4.5” barrel for sale, I’m actively looking. I had initially hoped a 10mm OSP might come with both type barrels — like some other calibers — but no such luck.
I have the SS guide rod and Wolfe 22# spring. It helps. I am going to order a 26# spring next since I shoot mainly hot handloads. Definitely get the guide rod and tune it with springs to what you are going to shoot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the SS guide rod and Wolfe 22# spring. It helps. I am going to order a 26# spring next since I shoot mainly hot handloads. Definitely get the guide rod and tune it with springs to what you are going to shoot.

I have the Wolff 20 & 22# springs and my intention was to start with 22 plus the guide rod. I’ll be curious how the 26# works out. The Delta Elite made me very spring conscious. The Buffalo Bore ammo in particular is loaded a little hot, and I have quite a few hot hand loads that I use with the Colt.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I don't own an XD, but am considering buying the very 9mm OSP that the OP has. I don't see the point in the plain barrel, but the price of $469 seems great. So, to the OP, how do you like this XDM??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't shot it much yet. First shots through the standard barrel were at a local action pistol match. The tall sights are a bit weird and it took me a bit to walk rounds into some 6" steel plates at 30 yards. Once I figured out where it was hitting with the ammo I was using, it shot very well. I've only put a handful of mags through the threaded barrel with my pistol suppressor attached. I still plan to add an extended grip safety and solid guide rod.

I thought I found a screaming deal on a HOLOSUN 507C-GR V2 at Sportsman's Warehouse on-line. Turns out it is the V1 with bottom battery access and the smaller brightness buttons. I'm sitting here looking up how to return on-line orders to Spotrsman's Whse. now.

FWIW, I plan to use the plain barrel in competition. I've had thread protectors work loose and I'm sure I'd lose mine during a match. I'd also expect the threaded barrel to impede a timed draw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't shot it much yet. First shots through the standard barrel were at a local action pistol match. The tall sights are a bit weird and it took me a bit to walk rounds into some 6" steel plates at 30 yards. Once I figured out where it was hitting with the ammo I was using, it shot very well. I've only put a handful of mags through the threaded barrel with my pistol suppressor attached. I still plan to add an extended grip safety and solid guide rod.

I thought I found a screaming deal on a HOLOSUN 507C-GR V2 at Sportsman's Warehouse on-line. Turns out it is the V1 with bottom battery access and the smaller brightness buttons. I'm sitting here looking up how to return on-line orders to Spotrsman's Whse. now.

FWIW, I plan to use the plain barrel in competition. I've had thread protectors work loose and I'm sure I'd lose mine during a match. I'd also expect the threaded barrel to impede a timed draw.
I put on the 507C-GR-V2 (Kenzie's). I'm really partial to the green! Had time to put first 50 rounds through it, liked trigger OK, really liked the Holosun, and discovered serious propensity to loosen thread protector enough to where 2 or 3 magazines fired might be enough to lose the collar. Now this is the 10 mm and I only finger-tightened it (and I am olde), but it just renews my decision to find a 4.5" standard unthreaded barrel. Since I'm still wringing it out, I put a dab of blue Uncle Mike's loctite on the threads when I reassembled it. Not a good solution for carry as it could screw up a field strip.

Cleaned it up, greased it, installed PRP drop-in trigger kit (reduced weight and not the competition weight springs yet), PRP Extreme Ejector (s.s and very sturdy piece!), PRP solid s.s. guide rod and the 20# Wolff recoil spring. If needed for the loads I carry, I might move up to 22# or even 26#, but I want to avoid heavier springs if possible -- just in case my wife or daughters would need to work the slide.

If it stops pouring rain and 17 knot winds, I want to go try out the new trigger. It doesn't feel a whole lot lighter but certainly cleaner, crisper, and better reset than oem. I expect the recoil spring to work just fine with some lighter FBI-ish ammo as well as heavier stuff. I think the balance will be nicer with the guide rod, and recovery time enhanced; the guide rod is pretty substantial.

Even without the new parts I like how this shoots.

If you hear of any unthreaded 10mm 4.5" barrels, give me a holler.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was wondering about putting a plain 4.5” barrel in an 10 mmOSP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts