Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my XD(M) 9mm, haven't shot it yet.

Two issues are bothering me.

1) the magazine release is _extremely_ tight. If the magazine has 10+ rounds in it, I need to use a lot of pressure to seat the mag, and releasing it takes way more pressure than should be necessary. Essentially, it 'sticks'. With an empty mag it's still tight (compared to my brand new XD 45), but release-tension increases significantly as I load more rounds.

2) When I load 11 rounds I hear a significant rattling sound coming from the magazine; at 12 it's twice as loud. Then at 13 it's almost gone; 14 it's back! It happens with both mags, so I'm assuming it's a design issue. If I load fewer rounds there's no sound or rattling. This is totally absent in my XD 45.

Anyone else experience these? I'm hopeful the magazine tension issue will resolve when I shoot the gun, but if not I'll have to exchange/return it.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I had the same issues. The tightness will loosen up after a while. I only have to use moderate pressure now and it doesn't appear to be loosening any more.

As for the rattling, just hit the bottom of the magazine with the butt of your hand a few times.

I've yet to find any flaws caused by either issue.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonder why? I guess I'll have to disassemble a magazine and see what's going on there.

I imagine the spring must be extra strong to handle the 19 rounds, and it's just pressing very hard & causing the excess tension. Glad to hear it will resolve itself as I don't really want to return it.;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
With my xdm40 I have the same issue of the mag release sticking, only when mag has over 10 rounds in it though. I just push up on the mag a little and the button pushes in easily.

As for rattling, yes. Mine only happens when i have 14 or 15 rounds in the mag. It is more of a knocking noise and can be heard if i tilt my xdm forward or backwards. I asked the gunshop where i bought it and some ignorant lady told me all guns do that. I know thats not the case but i doubt is is anything to worry about.

If you figure a way to fix the rattling let me know.

·
Registered
948 Posts
the mags are a little tight at 1st and i had to hit the bottom pretty hard at 1st also but only on full mags.running smothe now 1500 rds, so just it out have some fun!!:cool:

·
Registered
248 Posts
The rattling is coming from the loose rounds in the magazine. Hit the end of it and act like you are packing one hell of a pack of cigarettes. They should readjust with spring tension.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mine rattle a tad too. Althought it's kinda strange. One mag does it, the other doesn't. One has JHP and the other has FMJ's. If I tap them, or seat them in the gun, it doesn't rattle, and they only rattle in one direction if shaken.

As far as the mag release. Mine is tight, but loading, and unloading a mag(no rounds and SAFE FIRST) has helped to loosen it up.

Loading a full 16rd(.40) mag, does sometimes not "seat" with minimal force. I have to really bang the bottom of the mag to get it to seat. It's getting easier with each mag I've fed into the gun.

To release the mags, I push on the bottom a little, and then the release button is super easy and they fall out.

Just give it time, it'll all fit like butter once you use and shoot it for a little bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
just bought a xdm 9 today and am experiencing the mag rattle as well. slaping them like a pack of smokes seems to help a bit but not much hopefully it goes away. as i dont want my carry gun sounding like a bunch of change in my pocket. i guess if it dont ill have to just go back to carrying my m&p45 or taurus 608.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi folks. I've shot about a hundred rounds through my .40 so far. When I got the gun the rear sight was off-center to the left by an eighth of an inch and it shot 3 inches low! I got that straightened out. Then I realized the mag release required two strong hands to drop the mag if it was more than half full (as folks here seem to have stated). An annoying problem with the mag release button itself is its ridiculously tight and notchy just functioning without a mag in place. I think this is part of the problem. If you look at the the release in the mag well it just barely pivots into the grip when you press the button. When the release button is under pressure from a loaded mag (even without a round in the chamber) the contact friction makes a smooth mag release impossible. I own five SIGs and the mag release on every one is totally smooth and flawless out of the box. I was really disappointed at how tight the XD/M release is. I'm hoping, based on the comments here, that the release loosens after use. But I'm wondering if there's any way to hasten this process in any way. I used a bit of grease on the release pivot pin but that hasn't helped at all. I also gently filed the mag hole at a slight angle just to smooth the edge but that didn't help either. Trying to release from the right side is nearly impossible and takes two thumbs to accomplish it but I'm right-handed so it doesn't matter. Overall, the gun is a fabulous value and is really accurate. I especially like how the trigger can be indexed so that each shot is a surprise. It makes a difference when practicing with new loads. The trigger pull is a bit stiff for my prteference but I guess I can get used to it. I'll keep an eye on this topic to see if anyone has come up with a "magic" fix for the problem. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to shoot it a bunch and hope you're all correct about things loosening up over time. ;^)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts