Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and i want to thank all of the posters for all the great info. I wanted to share my story of my recently purchased XD .45 for duty carry. I have been a SWAT operator for almost two years now and have carried my privately owned Glock 21 for the past thirteen years, I have always sworn by Glock pistols and never thought I'd really trust another pistol for duty. About a year ago i shot a fellow officers XD .45, i was Very impressed with the whole package, but still i hesitated, brand loyalty really had a hold on me. Since my beginning on SWAT i have struggled with the qualification course of fire, mostly due to the size of the G21. It didn't affect me as much with our normal dept range shoots, mostly because the times are more generous, giving me time to handle the big pistol better. After a frustrating day at the SWAT range, the range master talked me into getting an XD.....long story short, first time firing the pistol, I shot better and faster than i ever have before, it was like going from a dump truck to a Ferrari, but not sacrificing reliability. My XD is now at my side every night on patrol and on my leg rig in the SWAT bus, I still have a great affection for Gaston's pistol, but she can retire to the nightstand from now on.

Thanks for all the info!

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Glad to see you came to your sense and got an XD, i bet you wish you made the change awhile ago.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second of all, I have a question. If you use your personal firearm during duty, do they still restrict you on what you can do to it? For example, would be be free to change out the sights or have trigger-work done on it? I'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Nice!! I'm applying for Sherrifs. If I get hired I plan on bringing my .45 along. If they won't allow .45 I'll be buying a .40! I was a huge Glock fanboy as a kid, then the XD came out and just felt better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Many moons ago, I shot a glock 19. Not shortly after, i purchased an XD9 service. In hand, no comparison.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our policy is rather vague on modifications to our pistols, cosmetic changes (as long as you don't get one shot one kill engraved on the slide...dont laugh it happened!) as well as custom sights are fine, however once you modify the function, to include triggers, a privately owned pistol for duty carry, you open up yourself and your agency for big time liability in the event you should have to use that pistol on someone. this is not to say that if you wanted to have your trigger smoothed out on a revolver or a 1911, that would be fine, but doing something like switching out for a really light trigger, that would be a no go...but every agency is different. hope this answered you question.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Our policy is rather vague on modifications to our pistols, cosmetic changes (as long as you don't get one shot one kill engraved on the slide...dont laugh it happened!) as well as custom sights are fine, however once you modify the function, to include triggers, a privately owned pistol for duty carry, you open up yourself and your agency for big time liability in the event you should have to use that pistol on someone. this is not to say that if you wanted to have your trigger smoothed out on a revolver or a 1911, that would be fine, but doing something like switching out for a really light trigger, that would be a no go...but every agency is different. hope this answered you question.
If I could carry an XD, whether they authorize a 9, 40, or a 45, I would buy a new one. It would be seperate than my personal collection and stay bone stock.

Unless they authorize a trigger job.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's great, I followed a similar path when diving into the polymer 45 world. The G21 is a great gun but I found myself shooting the XD better and ended up buying one not long ago. I almost posted a thread yesterday (after firing 275 rounds at the range) restating my overwhelming approval of this platform...it's really hard to beat the XD!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
This kinda reminds me of my buddy. He carries a HK USP 40 on duty, never had a complaint about it (how many of us would complain about carrying a HK, lol). We decided to go to the range one day and I brought my xd 40. The next day he was trying to talk his way into being able to carry an xd on duty.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
FANBOY ALERT:

i was a DIE HARD Glock guy for YEARS.....i owned/shot/carried every Glock model in existence...thought i would never buy anything but Gastons creation.....and the Glock 20/21 i never liked...it felt like holding a 2X4...the grip was fat and cumbersome

until one day at the range a guy next to me let me shoot his XD-40........went right out of the range at Buds Guns shop and bought me a brand new XD-9.....traded my Glock 17 i had for 8 years and wish i hadnt waited so long to trade :))))

now im a XD/9mm Fanboy :)

welcome to the forum acp!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I could definitely see how modifying the trigger weight would be a no-no. I was thinking more along the lines of take-up and reset. Those are my big pet-peave areas when it comes to triggers. I hate take-up.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I bought my second XD last month.

I just sold my one and only (And probably last) Glock this past weekend.

No comparison IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts