Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
First off welcome to the forum!

Have you tried lube, and manipulation? To kind of seat all the parts together? Or is it frozen stiff? We'll need a bit more information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think gun oil made it worse. Springfields oil recommendations are one drop on rails, one on barrel tip, and one on barrel hood. Thrn work the action. I oiled it like a 1911. Im reading any oil near magazine release are can gum them up due to low racking slide. I believe the mag release spring is not stiff enough. I alread read somewhere they recommend drying it up by flushing with acetone. Was hoping there was a tweak. Ill see if I can get all the oil out just need to figure out how to take it apart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No need to take it apart. Just use some non chlorinated brake cleaner on it. There's plenty of power behind an aerosol can, through one of those tubes that come with it. That will flush it clean with plenty to spare. If you don't feel comfortable with the brake cleaner, then you can use gunscrubber spray. It's pretty much the same thing. The brake cleaner is sold everywhere, but absolutely must be non chlorinated. It'll say so on the can. The other stuff is bad news, even for use on brakes. It's very toxic. The gunscrubber, can be found at the gun stores, and places like academy, or bass pro , cabellas, etc. When I use it, it's always brake cleaner, from wally world. The gunscrubber costs about seven bucks a can. No residue, quick drying, all chemical handling rules should be observed of course.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Is problem when mag is full or near full? Have you tried pushing up on base of mag while pushing release button? Mag spring pushes top round against bottom of slide, in turn the spring pushes mag tube down against release.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The other posters make a good point, about pressing in at the bottom. In fact, I'd press the button, while giving it a smack. New guns, especially the 45 with those big bullets, sometimes have issues with the cramming that loaded mag, into that tight space. Eventually the mags loosen up.

The gumming up of the oil in the gun, really shouldn't happen for months. So a new gun, shouldn't be a problem there. The obvious question would be, if it acts up, when there's no magazine inserted? Or if it's an empty mag? Since it's a new gun, was it properly cleaned before you tried to use it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mag release was sticking when the lower had no magazine inserted also. I used non chlorinated brake cleaner and cleaned the area out good. This made it worse but it was clean. I then added a couple drops of dry lube to the mag release mechanism and its popping out hard every time. I will keep a close eye on it. Thank you all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's been said that customer service is good at springfield. I'd be leaning towards sending it back, if it doesn't get much better, really soon. One thing to know about using brake cleaner, and other things similar. This stuff completely strips the surface of any, and all oil, so it's susceptible to rust. Obviously not the polymer. What a lot of people do, to maintain that extremely light oil coating. Is to apply it as thick as you want, and then spray it with compressed air, to remove the excess. I run all my range guns wet, including the xde. Never any problems from over lubrication. In your case, it sounds like it's a manufacturing, or assembly issue. You shouldn't have to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I may still send it to them then. Ive never had issues over oiling a firearm like this one but many people are having this issue from what I have read. Thank you everyone

·
Registered
29,825 Posts
The mag release was sticking when the lower had no magazine inserted also. I used non chlorinated brake cleaner and cleaned the area out good. This made it worse but it was clean. I then added a couple drops of dry lube to the mag release mechanism and its popping out hard every time. I will keep a close eye on it. Thank you all.
When you had it disassembled, did you check to see if there was a burr/machine chatter in either the mag release tunnel or on the mag release itself?

Because it sounds like it’s not a magazine that’s causing the problems, but the release itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven’t attempted disassembly yet. I think the problem is in the mag release itself also. I do think I want to attempt disassembly just not sure where I need to start just to get out the mag release assembly itself. I have built various ar15’s, ak47’s, 1911’s and p38’s so I’m not a complete novice but never a polymer style pistol. This is new to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got the e-mail a few days ago that my XD-E .45 will arrive this coming Monday. They paid for FedEX to pick it up and deliver it. All in all two weeks. I have attached the invoice of the work done. I hope they fixed it. I asked them to install a stronger magazine release spring but who knows if they did.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I just bought the XD-E EDC kit in .45 and im having problems with my magazine release sticking badly. Any ideas? Is there a fix?

Dropbox - IMG_3902.mov
I'll have to get mine out but in that video the button is moving fine, it's the spring on that lever inside that ( I bet ) is missing or binding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never worked great. You can see the spring is there but if oil gets in there at all it sticks. If you gunscrub it, it sticks worse. If its very cold out it sticks. It rarely works. Springfield refit it and shipped it back. I will know tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
So what did they do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So what did they do?
Well the invoice just says refit the magazine release spring then safety tested it and shipped it back. Im terrified that if another drop of oil gets near the magazine release spring or if its cold that it will just keep happening. Sadly if it happens again Ill ship it back and ditch it. Never had a firearm do this ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts