Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, on a new gun, is there any reason to use a brass brush or should I stick with plastic unless I start neglecting it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
If you mean inside the barrel, brass won't hurt it at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To the 'WTF' from above
Think of putting a christmass tree through a barrel tip first, it goes through no problem. Then pull it back out, it get stuck (or binds)

I am looking for in-depth cleaning and lube info, more than whats in the manual. Ive spent alot of time searching on this site and others to no avail
Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a cleaning kit from Otis and it came with a nice video (mpg) of how to properly clean a revolver, semi auto pistoli, assault rifle, hunting rifle and shot gun. Kit for all hand gun calibers, rifle calibers, shot guns, with three length of cables for $50; it was a gun show special.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You are having problem finding cleaning info on this site? LOL.. come on man.. there is a thread posted at least once a week on cleaning.. and lots of patient replies..

How clean do you want it.. Are you talking about a simple take down, or a detail cleaning?

A brass bore brush, 9mm (in my case) brass jag, and some lint free patches are all you need.. well.. you do need some solvent and oil as well.. and that is all you need.. well.. you do need a cloth to keep your work area clean (I use old baby diapers.. I have a bunch of them!) And q-tips are helpful, for getting into those tight spaces.

As for solvents.. People have their preferences.. Some like CLP, others Hobbes #9, etc... I use Blue Wonder Gel.. It cleans really well, leaves no residue, and is pretty inexpensive. (You can get a 1 oz. tube for free by visiting the site.. free is a very good price!) Oil, I use the Blue Wonder Disotec.. very good product.

Now if you want to do a "detail cleaning" check out http://www.xd-hs2000.com/ and click on "disassembly." You will find all kinds of gunk in there, and it's a great way to learn how your weapon works.

Hope that was helpful.

Raymond

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you still happen to have that mpg, if so can you email it to me?
If you email cant hold it, I have a Gmail account you can have which should work.

If anyone else wants a gmail account let me know I think I have a couple

·
Registered
59 Posts
I saw every thing I would ever need to know on a normal cleaning
But I want to at least know how to completely disassemble, clean and lube it, for future reference and as you said get an 'idea' of how my gun works.
When I went to this site, I went to disassembly clicked safety and required tools and got this page
'Safety and tools required and parts list '
and that is all thats written
then went to feild strip, clicked and got a page that simply read
'Feild strip' and thats all.
I went back to the menu and found nothing further.
Thank you for pointing out that I should have been more persistant.
I also appreciate the info on the Blue Wonder
Thank again, Joe

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You are welcome Joe.. If you visit the link I posted above, you should be able to take that pistol down to it's bear bones.. After clicking on "dissembly," click on either "frame dissembly," or "slide dissambly." Go as far as you are comfortable with. I have a picture around here somewhere.. hold on...

Now that was as far as I was willing to go. To continue I would have had to remove the extractor, and I have read to many stories about what a pain in the ass that is.. I also don't want to mess with the mag release.. that looks like a pain too.. but if you get it that far apart, you can clean the snot out of it!

Good luck, and of course.. post pictures!

Raymond

·
Registered
833 Posts
(You can get a 1 oz. tube for free by visiting the site..
Actually they are no longer doing that I was gonna order some off thier website last week when I saw they where not doing that, I am just gonna hold off till I decide what I want for a holster from Pistol gear and get it then. Why pay shipping twice

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Captain Ray said:
You are welcome Joe.. If you visit the link I posted above, you should be able to take that pistol down to it's bear bones.. After clicking on "dissembly," click on either "frame dissembly," or "slide dissambly." Go as far as you are comfortable with. I have a picture around here somewhere.. hold on...

Now that was as far as I was willing to go. To continue I would have had to remove the extractor, and I have read to many stories about what a pain in the ass that is.. I also don't want to mess with the mag release.. that looks like a pain too.. but if you get it that far apart, you can clean the snot out of it!

Good luck, and of course.. post pictures!

Raymond
Show off! :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts