Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forums, and XD ownership. Did my research and decided on a compact XD 9mm for my first handgun. Took it to the range today and put 98 rds. through it. It failed to load a new cartridge twice out of 100 rounds. On both occasions the slide did not close all of the way, so I dropped the mag and tried to eject the cartridge by pulling back on the slide, but the slide was stuck tight. With a considerable amount (alot!!!)of force I was able to pull it back and get it cleared. On both occasions, upon inspection of the jammed cartridges I noticed damage to the lip of the brass casing, as if it were snagged on something and pulled back in one spot. What could the casing be hanging up on? Is it the ammunition or the gun that is the problem. I was using Winchester 115gr FMJ ammo. The range official said he had never seen damage like that and that he thought it was probably the ammo. Has anybody else had this experience. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
This is my home defense weapon, and I would hate to have this happen to my wife in a bad situation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
usually you will see that on facotry reloads I am not sure if the winchester brand you were using was factory. I have had a couple like that before.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Sometimes the ammo just slips through the quality control. This is a Winchester round (though it ain't round in this case!) I got.
I generally do a cursory tactile check as I'm loading...a lil roll with the fingers. Just make sure the home defense ammo passes a check before loading, you should be fine.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yep, i'm guessing it's the rounds too. You didn't have a problem with the other 96 rounds at all did you? I suggest checking your rounds before loading them into the magazine, it's a good habit to have. And try switching ammo and see if the problem happens again. If it does, send it back to Springfield.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
700 rounds of the same ammo later, and no hiccups. Not one. Must have been a fluke batch with a couple of out of round casings.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hear hear brother! Good amount of rounds through. I believe you may need another 700, just to be sure ;)

I've been loving my Sellier & Bellot (spelling?) ammo from bulkammo, wrapping up my first 1000 rounds from them and haven't found a single errant round. The red-sealed primers do attract some attention at the range, I have found.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
reminds me of a couple of cartridges from a 9mm wwb of 50 i got @ walmart. i chucked them before heading to the range. the rest wrkd fine. i stick to federal now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts