Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have a great forum! This is probably a really stupid question to you experienced shooters. I purchased a new XD 9 service model. I have a few questions about it. When I shoot it freehand I seem to hit very low and when I shoot from a rest I still hit low. I borrowed a rest from a buddy where I can clamp my gun in and i was right on target that time. I have over 300 rounds of WWB through it and I still shoot like this. I'm new to autos but I own several revolvers and never had this problem before. Do most autos shoot different than revolvers? Is there any shooting techniques I can try to apply that will help? I bought 1500 rounds of WWB so I have plenty of practice ammo. Any suggestions would help a lot, the more the better! thanks

joey

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey, I have the same gun and it sounds like you lower the barrel while pulling the trigger. This is common and you can see this when you hold out your arm and then squeeze your shooting hand into a fist. You may notice a slight angle downward at the wrist. I would ease up on my grip ever so slightly and pull straight back on that trigger. Sounds like you have experience so I might not be offering anything new but once you eliminate the gun as the source of the problem then you can always adjust the human element.
I've seen folks (self included) anticipate the recoil and tighten the grip too much upon pulling the trigger thus lowering the shot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
533 Posts
try pulling the trigger with the tip of the trigger finger.

I learned to shoot revolvers with the trigger near the first nuckle, if you are doing this you may be pulling the muzzel down...

just a thought,

keep us updated...

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Building on what wJAKE19 notes, I suggest you aim your new XD and pull the trigger as slow and as smooth as you can, so much so that it scares you when it fires. This way, you can tell if it is you or the gun that has a problem. Do this about 30 times, then look at your groups. This little drill will also get you used to the recoil and noise of your XD.

Old School

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried what you said and its getting a little better. I set my 12x12 targets at 75 feet, out of 3 boxes of WWB probably 65-70% were on the paper and maybe 15% close to the center.. I'm still no clint eastwood. My targets looked like I took shotguns to them! Having a loose grip helped a little maybe? I used the tip of my finger instead of the knuckle also. I had a death grip before since i'm used to shooting revolvers and they are a lot heavier.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you use wwb cases for reloading?

I don't reload but I save all cases that can be reloaded.

How does dons rod better the gun? the OLD LADY only lets me buy one gun related item with each check (besides ammo), was thinking of ordering one in the future, do they make a big difference?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will it hurt to sand the barrel with a very light grit sandpaper? mine is starting to fade already

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. The XD, like a Glock, has a long trigger pull before it goes off. Many people will push forward during that long pull. A couple of guys I know that teach tactical shooting call it "Glock trigger". The way they and a Glock dealer that I know say you can deal with it is to feel for the trigger reset when releasing the trigger after the shot. If you pull the trigger and hold it back (try this unloaded first of course), then release it slowly you will feel and hear a click, that is the trigger reset. That is also the point where you can pull the trigger without all the "slack" and fire the gun almost as soon as you pull the trigger. It takes some effort to get used to feeling for it, but once you get used to it, it can help quite a bit. You can also make the effort to take out the slack before actually firing and make sure you are on target before finishing the pull.

Like Palmetto said, make sure not to tighten your grip or your fingers when pulling the trigger, this will also cause you to shoot low; keep a firm, but steady steady grip on the gun through the entire motion. I don't know what type of grip you use, but some people, like myself, want to put the index finger of their weak hand (my left hand since I'm right handed) on the trigger guard; once I broke myself of that it helped alot, but I still catch myself doing it once in awhile...you know what they say about old habits. ;)

Anyhow, good luck and hope that helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks!! 1 of 2500 answered me :p I don't know anything about reloading but I save the brass incase I ever learn to. It said full metal jacket and I had no idea what the meant.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Joeyc....most all brass and nickle cases are reloadable as long as they're made to use boxer primers. The one's that are not reloadable are the rounds with steel cases used in some Russian made ammo (Wolf), the aluminum cases used with CCI Blaser, and military ammo that uses Berdan priming instead of boxer priming.

I'm also starting to see revolver ammo with polymer cases and Berdan priming showing up at our range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts