Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here. Impressed with the site and the Firearm so far. Just completed my local CCW course last weekend (two days after purchasing the XD-9) :twisted: .
My first concern about the XD-9 happened right away. Immediately after purchase, I brought it home to clean and field strip. (I wanted to get to know it first prior to my first range visit.) Upon the initial wipedown of the slide and most external steel, I had distinctive amounts of rust coming off onto the patches. :shock: After a few pass-overs the rust color finally disappeared but I was a bit suprised that a factory new weapon just out of the blue plastic bag would contain that much of a rust coating. Please someone tell me some good news about this or that I am seeing something else. Trust me, right now it sits in it's case enjoying a nice even coat of my favorite lube.

·
Registered
889 Posts
First, welcome to forum :D .
Second, the good news is oil stops rust :shock: .
There is alot of talk about rusting around here, mine had some spots after I left it in my tool box, dirty, for about a month this spring. I wiped it off with some oil, and never a problem after that.
Are you sure it was rust that was coming off, and not just some residue left over from the finishing process?
Clean it and wipe it down with a little oil, and it doesn't rust forget about it, and if it does rust call Springfield.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure it was rust. I have read all of the rust issues on the forum here. Seems like Rust is a subject that's been beat to death. I hate being a Noob and asking the same damn question again..but, I didn't read about anyone who had a rust issue right out of the box. I wonder if my piece was stored improperly prior to purchase? Not a lot of resonse so maybe I am an isolated incident....that's just my luck.....

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Off subject, but I noticed you have a model 59 S&W. Did you ever have any trouble with it jamming. I used to have one in the early 80s and got rid of it because of that and it was too big to carry off duty.

I have no idea why I thought it would be easy to carry it off duty as it is a large gun. I had to take it back once to the distributor to have it fixed as it had some recall. It's rep was as a jamming machine. Have you had any of the same problems with it. Just curious.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you say that because I though it was just the round type I was putting through it. Re-Loads have a hell of a time getting through it but I found that the factory stuff did just fine. Not a bad weapon but I would have to agree that it is a little bulky. I believe that it was the first S&W High capacity semi auto handgun that S&W released back in the early 70's. I have also heard that it was intended to be used by LEO's. A lot of agency's used it for their service weapon. For it to have a jamming problem really is disappointing. Do you still have it and do you have any info on the re-calls you mentioned?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts