Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time posting. I just picked up my new XD 45 4" service model. Shot about 75 rounds of WWB. While cleaning it, I noticed that the recoil spring is rubbing up against the guide rod leaving some bad gouge marks.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Did you clean and oil it before you first shot it? Mine has marks on it but I have had it for 10 years. Maybe someone else has ideas on this one.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I'm no gunsmith, but those marks look a bit excessive to me.
Contact SA send them your pics and see what they say.....

My (now sold) XD45 compact.

Sorry the only pic I have from this angle.

BTW Gun Butter rocks.............:mrgreen:

And welcome to the forum fillup.......

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Mine has scratch marks in the same place but are just surface scratches not gouges. Looks like some debris got caught under the spring.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That can't be normal. Mine doesn't do that. Maybe the end of the spring is slightly bent in and sharp? As said above send the pictures to SA and ask them. something is wrong.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yea send it back i have shot abot 500 rounds of wwb and have nothing that even comes close to that.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Mine has scratch marks in the same place but are just surface scratches not gouges. Looks like some debris got caught under the spring.
+1 looks like something got between the spring and the rod.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Maybe the very last coil on the larger spring is deformed somehow :-?. Try pulling it back by hand to get a better look.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My new xd45 service guide rod looked just like that after I fired it for the first time, my three other (older) 45 xd's didn't have that problem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
+1 2 or 3

To the contact SA and send Dawn those pics and get them to look at it, I've got over 3k through my service 45 without that issue something isn't lining up correctly.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
+1 to not looking right. Springfield should take care of you, no problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

SA is sending me a replacement recoil assembly. Looking at it some more it appears that the end of the spring is digging into the rod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jeeze! No, that looks terrible. This is what mine looks like after a 500-round live fire exercise and a minimal field cleaning. No level of abuse should leave scratches like you posted. Good luck

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just checked my Compact I have put about 500 round though it and found only surface scratches.

I would send it back to Springfield it looks like it might be a bad spring or the temper of the steel on the guide rod.

Pete V

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks nasty. Did you get a reply from springfield yet?
Well they are suppose to be sending me a replacement recoil assembly. I might end up sending the gun in for repair though. Fully loaded mags (13 rnds.) take a lot of effort to insert into the gun (i.e. make the mag catch click), and a lot of times won't lock in at all. The problem goes away if I remove 1 round (12 vs. 13 rnds) from the mags. Similarly, fully loaded mags are near impossible to eject with the mag release button. I guess I got a lemon. :confused:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well they are suppose to be sending me a replacement recoil assembly. I might end up sending the gun in for repair though. Fully loaded mags (13 rnds.) take a lot of effort to insert into the gun (i.e. make the mag catch click), and a lot of times won't lock in at all. The problem goes away if I remove 1 round (12 vs. 13 rnds) from the mags. Similarly, fully loaded mags are near impossible to eject with the mag release button. I guess I got a lemon. :confused:
Some times lemons happen.:( Even with an XD!!! Send it back to SA they will make it right!!! The first two problems I really have no suggestions for you, sorry. With your third problem I do have a possible tip for you. The hard to eject full mag is quite common and yeah mine does it too. No real remedy but you can push the mag up a little harder into the gun and while holding pressure on the bottom of the mag hit the mag release. That should re-leave some pressure on the mag release and will make it a lot easier to drop a loaded mag.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts