Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved to California from Michigan and had to sell my XD 9mm 4" Service before I moved...So today after one long year in this damn state I finally made my first gun purchase as California Resident...XD .45 Compact..Wow is that thing a beauty..Sucks I have to wait ten days before I can pick it up tho :(...But somethings tells me it is well worth the wait..I never owned .45 before was wondering what the best ammo grains were and what people recommend for defense rounds, and where best place to shop online for ammo as well..THanks

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Congrats on the XD45C. I use Blazer Brass and WWB 230gr FMJ for the range and either 230gr JHP Gold Dots or Win Ranger RA45T/RA45TP (+P) for carry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Moved to California from Michigan and had to sell my XD 9mm 4" Service before I moved...So today after one long year in this damn state I finally made my first gun purchase as California Resident...XD .45 Compact..Wow is that thing a beauty..Sucks I have to wait ten days before I can pick it up tho :(...But somethings tells me it is well worth the wait..I never owned .45 before was wondering what the best ammo grains were and what people recommend for defense rounds, and where best place to shop online for ammo as well..THanks

For range use the cheapest available ammo. I use Blazer Brass($27.00 for a box of 100) as I find it the cheapest in MD/VA/DC area and if it's not available then Winchester(31.00 for a box of 100) . For person defense I like Cor-Bon 200grain +P.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For the range I usually shoot Rem UMC the mega 250 pack or WWB

For carry, I like the Hornaday, 230g, +p XTP/JHP

It's runs good, and cheaper than most defensive ammo now that Hornaday released the TAP ammo.... the same thing as the XTP only in a different case, same bullet and powder charge... almost half the price

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. On the ammunition to go website they have

50rds - 45 ACP Federal LE Tactical HST 230gr. +P HP Ammo

Is this okay to use wasn't sure what the tactical at the end means it doesn't have to be this exact one as far as the +P is concerned and grain but I was just wondering if the tactical was okay to use..Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Thanks for the replies. On the ammunition to go website they have

50rds - 45 ACP Federal LE Tactical HST 230gr. +P HP Ammo

Is this okay to use wasn't sure what the tactical at the end means it doesn't have to be this exact one as far as the +P is concerned and grain but I was just wondering if the tactical was okay to use..Thanks for the info
Yeah you'll be fine. Just shoot your chosen ammo through your XD to make sure it will feed. I have heard a few people having probs with HST feeding in their XD's. Shooting your chosen defense ammo through your gun is always a good idea no matter what ammo/gun combo you may have. Good luck and congrats on the XD45 purchase. BTW I use Speer Gold Dot 200gr +p in mine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use 230gr almost exclusivly in my xd 45 compact, I have some Hornady Tap 230gr +P and also normally keep it loaded with speer gold dot Short Barrel.

I prefer the 230gr for some reason in .45, I just like the heavier rounds and feel like they will hit harder than a lighter round.

You'll love how the XD45 shoots, I love shooting mine, recoil is not bad even though its a polymer gun.

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Congrats! Good call--just got mine today!

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I have Federal HST's in my 45 compact and haven't had any issues with them feeding even with the stock mag springs. I have the AGP springs, just have to change them out. For the range I use WWB, Blazer Brass or Blazer aluminum and have yet to have any issues.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My favorite carry ammo is Double Tap 230 grain. Bought it from Midway. Take a look at the DT website or Midway. Personally I stuck to FMJ round nose for most reliable feeding as I'm prone to do in autos but they offer HP if you want.
Good stuff in my XD-45c which is my favorite gun. Use their 95 grain 380 load in my Kel-Tecs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts