Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just an update and a question. Took delivery on my new XD-40SC last Friday and shot it yesterday. I'm very impressed. It shoots dead on and the gun is very controlable. I did have 3 jams and two fail to fire. But after the last of the 50 rounds everything was going smoothly. The ammo was Remington 165gr FMJFP. I have a Colt Combat Comander 4" with a Bar-Sto barrel that shoots good groups but always to the right. This XD shoots right on and tight.
Now for the question! Any commments on Dura Cote. I'm considering doing my slide so I don't have to worry about rust. I plan sending my slide back to XD-HS2000 to have my Trijicon Sights installed and thought I might as well have the Dura Cote put on. But I'd like to know your experiences with it. Pros and Cons. Also, what's you thought on Fist holsters. I love their 17A IWB and Cantable. Any experiences with ordering online at the Fist Web Site.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I still have my original finish on my service XD. Personally, I would recommend giving the finish a chance and see if it rusts or not. It will be plainly obvious if you have a good finish or not. I've had my gun for close to a year now and not a single hint of rust. It scratches easily though.
As far as Fist holsters go, I have one and I love it. I have the IWB w/ the clip on one that I bought for about $35 new. I like it more than my $60-70 dollar paddle holster and IWB comp tac. They custom make everything so it might take a while. Mine took close to a month to get from ordering to my doorstep.
The wait was worth it though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jkswiss for the info. I ordered the Fist 17A-IWB holster. Hope to get it by Christmas. <Grin>. I also was checking out Desantis Holsters online. They have a "Tuck This" holster that looks interesting. It's a IWB holster with magazine pouch, adjustable J hook to 360 degrees, and ambidextrous. It's made of ballistic nylon for $31. As to the Dura Cote, I've gotten no pro or cons for the process. As you suggested I think I'll wait. Here in Arizona we don't get much moisture except during the Momsoons so if I keep and eye on the situation I probably won't have any problems. Your right about the slide scratching easily. I've gotten a couple of nicks already and have only had the pistol a week. Anyway, thanks for the responce, Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a #K8 in ultra-thin left hand from FIST. It took about six weeks, which was two weeks less than they said it would take. I guess it's 'cause it was LH. That ultra-thin kydex is great. rediculously light, the canting works well, and well conceals my XD-.40SC. Also, the split j-hooks for fitting around your belt loop is the way to go. I used the fat standard jhook once and it sucked.

As for coatings, just use eaze-ox or something good like that to match your humidity levels. Take extra care if IWB.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mariner, I figured that about the split J-Hook. I ordered mine with that type. Replacements are easy to obtain.

jkswiss, you use carnuba car wax on the slide? The finish on my slide is satin. Doesn't the wax turn white on a dull finish? I know that when I put wax on an annodized finish on my car it leaves a whitish residue. Thank you both for the response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts