Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which weight of ammos should i buy for My newly aqquired pistol? I have been doing a lot of reading and have seen a lot of people like the HST and the Gold Dots but what grains should I go with. I was thinking about getting a box each of the 155 165 and the 180 of each of the 2 previously mentioned brands and feeling them out. Keep in mind it is a Subcompact if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I shoot 165 Independence in my service at the range but I carry 115 federal...i doubt it really matters what you shoot with at the range...it matters when you need to shoot when it counts...

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I guess I was wondering more as to the difference in how the different wieghts would effect the recoil, how the round strikes the target or whatever else there is.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have an xd 40 service, so things might be a little different for me. But I'll usually shoot winchester white box 165 grain for target ammo, as that and blazer are the cheapest 40 that I've found.

As far as defensive rounds go, I use 155 hornady tap. I have a buddy who uses speer gold dot, I think 165 grain.

Generally speaking 145-165 grain are gonna have the best performance in a 40. I wouldn't think that it would make much difference being a subcompact if you stay in this weight range. However if you try to start putting 180 grains through it, your performance MIGHT tail off. I'm no balistics expert though, I'm sure someone here can better inform you.

·
Registered
462 Posts
When I had my XD40 Service I fed it nothing but 180 grain ammo, Winchester Rangers. The recoil is a bit less than with lighter bullets, due to the slower velocity, but you give up very little in actual on target performance. Don't go any heavier than 180 grains though, the 200s are way to heavy to work well in a 40, fine in the 10mm though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I shoot whatever is around for the most part for range time....currently working on an ammo can (1000) from a place out of MN, that why I like the XD it just plain shoots. Personal defense I use Speer Gold Dot...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts