Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally broke down and bought myself a second XD-40. I got a XD-40 Tactical to go with my XD-40 Service. I picked it up yesterday morning and took it to the indoor range this afternoon to give it a try. I was pleased with is function. I put a bunch of different ammunition through it and not a single FTF or FTE. In total I put a little over 200 rounds through it, the ammunition included:

Remington UMC 180 gr MC
CCI Blazer Brass 180 gr FMJ
Sellier and Bellot 180 gr FMJ
Remington Golden Saber 165 gr JHP
Remington Express 155 gr JHP
Remanufacture National Bullet 180 gr FMJ.

I took a couple pictures to go with this range report. I would say that since I bought this XD-40 Tactical yesterday morning I had to do yard work the rest of the day for the “girlfriend with two rings” and my arms and back were mush after laying landscaping timbers all day yesterday. So I am pretty sure I could shoot better groups then shown especially at 50 ft but I was still pleased with the accuracy. {Man! I got to get back into shape; a desk job certainly has it disadvantages}

In comparison to my XD service I would have to say I like it just a touch better the longer sight radius was nice and I think will be even nicer as I stretch the ranges to greater distances outside. I thought the recoil was slightly more controllably in the Tactical. The nose heavier XD-40 Tactical seemed to make the XD push back more and less muzzle flip up. Now my XD Service is presently using one of Don’s guild rods and a 22lb spring. I will have to look into the possible benefits of putting a slightly stiffer spring in the Tactical. If anyone has an opinion on spring changes in the Tactical let me know.

So here are the pictures:

First a nice picture of the pair of pistols.

Next the two XD’s with all my magazines. Yah got to have lots of magazines to shoot IPSC.

Both XD’s again with the best target from each shot at 25 ft. {the far left round on the tactical target was my fault, I knew it the instant the trigger broke I blew it.}

And finally the XD-40 Tactical and a target shot at 50 ft.

Later
mcb

·
Registered
95 Posts
Now send it Rich at Canyon Creek for a #2 triiger job.

Just got mine back and at 15 yds. I was putting everything in a 4" diameter ring.

The trigger work made all the difference.

He's done my XDSC and the Tactical.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One other comment I forgot to mention. Point of aim is different between the two guns. My XD-40 Service shoots a little low compared to most handguns I have shot. You line up the three dots and put the center dot were you want the bullet to go. The XD-40 Tactical shoots pumpkin on a fence post for me at 50 ft. I actually like the Tactical's sight picture a little bit better.

mcb

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after a cold and very wet morning of unsuccessful turkey hunting my hunting buddy and I went back to the house and dried out our gear. After warming up and eating some lunch we went back to the farm and got out the steel plates I welded up a few weeks ago. (for some pictures of the plates see the following thread http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19975&highlight=) We had built a small stand to put them on, basically a 10 foot 2x4 on legs to give us flat place to stand the plates on about 3 feet off the ground.

We started about 25 feet from the plates and bang away at them. We took turns, me with my XD-40 Tactical, and my friend with his Beretta 92 or Kimber Eclipse. At 25 feet we both could pretty much shoot’em down bang-clang. After getting pretty fast at that we moved back to about 60 feet and that got a bit tougher. We manage to hit a plate probably on average every other shot maybe a little better. Give then plates are only 6 inches square that seem pretty good given the weather. The weather was still cold and raining so it was far from optimal shooting conditions but we had a lot of fun. I put 170 rounds through my XD-40 Tactical both Remington UMC and National Bullet remanufactured and not one malfunction.

Well after an afternoon of banging the plates into the mud they don’t look nearly as pretty as they do in the above thread but they sure were fun to shoot. I’m thinking about making one of the Texas Star style plate holders.

Later
mcb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts