Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after about of a month of research, comparison shopping, and hand-wringing, I decided on an XD-40. This site helped a great deal, btw.

This week I got the XD-40 with the 3 12-rd. mags/holster package and am picking up 3 or 4 different brands of ammo for a trip to the range this weekend.

I noticed the rear sight is a good 25% off-center axis to the left and the front sight is about 10% to the left of being centered. They are not loose. I was wondering if the factory set them to the left on purpose based on feedback that many shooters tend to shoot left out of the box. ? I'm not one for 'conspiracy theories', lol, just thought this might be something new.

Seems like a great pistol, the quality is certainly there, out of the dozen or so autos I've owned over the years, this XD has the tightest slide/frame fit.

I'm having a bit of "caliber remorse" after going with the .40 cal vs. the XD-9 but that's for another thread...

Nice forum, here. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, you will just have to test it at the range. I would strongly advise that you initially bench rest the gun (hopefully your range has small "sand bags" that you can rest the gun on while to sight it in). I am constantly amazed at the number of shooters who do not sight their guns in initially.

Once upon a time (2 to 3 years ago) the factory in Croatia actually sighted in each gun and each gun had the factory test target included.

Likely due to the pressure of production, this isn't being done and there are increasing listings about guns shooting too high or too low or too far one way or the other.

BTW, moving the rear sight to the left will move the point of impact to the left.

From what I have seen, XDs are generally set at the factory with the front and the rear sight at the middle of the dovetail. There are witness marks each side of the dovetail and the sights are usually centered beween these marks. When one sight is say, to the left, the other sight is also to the left by the same amount.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Margana said:
BTW, moving the rear sight to the left will move the point of impact to the left..
Right. :oops:

Margana said:
From what I have seen, XDs are generally set at the factory with the front and the rear sight at the middle of the dovetail. There are witness marks each side of the dovetail and the sights are usually centered beween these marks. When one sight is say, to the left, the other sight is also to the left by the same amount.
The right-side witness marks are both easily visible on both front and rear sights which got me wondering.

What would you recommend using to drift the sights while at the range?
Sorry, Range 101 question, it's been awhile...

·
Registered
889 Posts
One of mine was off center, and when I shot it, it shot off center. I just tapped the rear sight over so that it was centered, and now it shoots fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the best thing to use (at the range) for tapping them while at the range? These are TIGHT!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've found that my rear sight is clearly not center- it cover up the right mark with a gap between the left mark and the sight. however, i still shoot slightly left of bullseye so i know it must be me...and im consistant too. I wonder if it's that way on purpose, i cant imagine how far off i'd be with the sight where its supposed to be dead center?

·
Registered
93 Posts
My front sight post slide to the left on my XD9SC. I sent it back to SA and they put it back and added a little Loctite to hold it in place. Everything is back to normal.

My suggestion, let SA do it. You may not have your pistol for 2 weeks, but I feel it is worth it. They have the tools and know-how.

·
Registered
811 Posts
be careful... there's another thread about somebody trying to work on their sites themselves. it didn't end too well.

any chance you can get some pics online for us to see?

given the warranty, i'd send it back to springfield. i know it'll be a pain to be w/o the new baby but better to get her straightened out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A brass punch and hammer will drift the sights quite nicely. The brass won't mar the finish or the sights. I've drifted mine several times to fine tune it with no problems.

You can usually pick up a gunsmith hammer and brass punch at a good gunshop.

ETA: My hammer is by Lyman and you can order it online here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
C1076USMC said:
My front sight post slide to the left on my XD9SC. I sent it back to SA and they put it back and added a little Loctite to hold it in place. Everything is back to normal.

My suggestion, let SA do it. You may not have your pistol for 2 weeks, but I feel it is worth it. They have the tools and know-how.
Did you just send the slide to them? Did they charge you anything?

ETA: What problem did people have trying it themselves?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you just send the slide to them? Did they charge you anything?
I called Deb at the custom shop and told her the problem. She issued me an RMA # and told me to ship just my slide to her. Two weeks later I got my slide back. The only cost I incurred was shipping to SA.

·
Registered
811 Posts
if you'd faxed a copy of your shipping to SA, they should reimburse you for that too... do a search for "reimburse", that should get you the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts