Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

I have a new .40 cal XD-40 SC and I am looking for recommendations for the very best .40 cal defensive ammo for a short barreled pistol like this.

Any suggestions of which defensive ammo to stay away from?

Also... I see practice ammo at wal-mart for around 15 bucks per 100 round box... is this the cheapest to be had?

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you have an academy in your area, they have CCI Blazer-50 rounds for 3.86, and Remington UMC 250 rounds for ~27. those are the two i use. some people have said that their local academy doesnt ever have much of the Blazers, but i just picked some up tonight, and there was probably 200 boxes there.

and for the defense ammo i use federal hydra-shok for my 9mm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the board, I also have a XD 40, service model though. Which ammo is the best is an ongoing debate around here, but I can tell you that I think any name brand, good hollow point will be fine. If you want to you can look up my old posts, in there I have some pictures of Ranger Talons, Black Talons, and Gold Dots.

I know that they don't make Black Talons anymore, Ranger Talons are now being made, but they are hard to find as Winchester will only sell them to law enforcement. So, in short, I would say the best round you can get would be Speer Gold Dot.

Federal also makes Hydroshocks, which I have heard were good, but haven't really tried yet.

Aaron

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like to stack my carry-mags with a mixture. I start with two quality hollowpoints (I carry win STHP in the pt-145 and currently remington golden sabers in the XD40) followed by a magsafe, and continue the alternations.

A SWAT memeber friend of mine gave me the idea based on their training methods for shooting. They practice a triple tap versus a double tap. body, body head. The HP's will have better penetration into the body and the mag-safe generally won't go much further than the back of the head. I have included this into my range drills.

Grusome to think about, but hopefully will never have to use the darn thing.

If you can't find the ammo you want in stores, you can always check the web. A few sites I have seen and/or used are http://www.natchezss.com/ and http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/default.asp.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I had my XD-40 it liked the Winchester 180gr SXT the best for personal protection, but every gun has its own personality. Now I use the 147 gr sxt in my xd9 and Hornady 147 Gr XTP in my xd357

·
Registered
725 Posts
pamato9 said:
I like to stack my carry-mags with a mixture. I start with two quality hollowpoints (I carry win STHP in the pt-145 and currently remington golden sabers in the XD40) followed by a magsafe, and continue the alternations.

The HP's will have better penetration into the body and the mag-safe generally won't go much further than the back of the head. I have included this into my range drills.
quote]

god forbid if you ever do get involved a protection situation.. it would be wise to just state u just had bullets laying around and put them in ur gun at random order... say something like the above to a jury and they are going to ring you up and send you away for 40 yrs..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts