Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my brand new XD-40SC with a stainless slide today. It's a beaut! However after shooting one hundred rounds through it I had eight jams, and four bad primers! I was shooting American Eagle and Wolf S&W 40. The bad primers all happened with wolf ammo. I'm sad and disappointed in my new gun :cry:

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
First off, your new gun needs some time to work in. Beyond that, it sounds like an ammo problem. Personally, I would never use Wolf Ammo nor American Eagle during my first outting. I would spend some money and gets some mid-grade/high-end ammo.

My $.02.

Regards,
OS

·
Registered
435 Posts
I always love when a person's first post is something negative about theXD. :evil:

Like OS said, buy some decent ammo, shoot about 500 rounds through it to break it in and then post what your thoughts and experiences are. Just my .02

If you were just wanting to know what to do about what happened, use the search feature. There are posts that answer most questions concerning this.

Rant off

BUT, congrats on your new XD and welcome aboard :D

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
XDTOM40 said:
I always love when a person's first post is something negative about theXD. :evil:
EVERYBODY CHILL!! He's upset because his gun didn't function as it is supposed to. It is new, he spent 425+ dollars on it. By all means, it should work and it did not. The XD isn't perfect, nothing is. It's OKAY to say 'negative' things about it so long as they are not malarky.

I'd recommend better ammo for certain. The cheapest "decent" ammo you can buy is "WWB" or Winchester White Box (aka walmart white box to some) Give that a shot and let us know how it works. If it doesn't work after that w/ some better ammo, send that **** back.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Try using Winchester White Box and see what happens. I've never had a problem with wolf but some people have. Also what kind of "jam" are you having. Failure to eject, failure to extract, or failure to feed. Knowing what kind of malfunction will help us help you narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
First, I had tons of problems with WWB with failure to feed and failure to extract and .40 ammo in general. Second, I have never had any problems with Wolf in any gun I have had. Sounds to me like the gun may have a weak primer spring, then again maybe not. I would try different ammo mix and see what it likes best. I have had good results in the past with UMC/Remington loads, usualy found in 250 packs at gunshows. Now I use Miwall Reloads for my practice shooting as my local range banned steel cased ammo. Miwall reloads can be gotten online at http://www.outdoormarksman.com

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think we need a little more info to really help. The "bad" primers sounds like an ammo problem. did you save the rounds? do you have a pic?

How long have you been shooting hanguns? the other "failures" could be user related (limpwristing), the .40 is pretty snappy, I imagine more so in the SC model.

Maybe next time if the problem persists you could have someone else at the range shoot it as well and see if they have the same problem. if someone else has the problem, then I would send the gun back. 8% failure rate is unacceptable.

some people have talked of a break-in period, but I think you should be able to shoot at least 500 rounds throuhg any gun flawlessly to trust you life to it, I took my .40 service straight out of the box, no cleaning, or lubing and put 150 rounds downrange, no problems. to date I have 1200 rounds trouble free.

My humble advice would be to get 200 rounds of decent ammo and a friend experienced w/ shooting polymer handguns to the range, and then come back and tell us of your experience.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I picked up a .40 Tactical today and it runs great so far. Not all guns do though, some definately require a 500 round break-in period. Use the WWB, Remington or something similar. Since the dead primers were all with Wolf ammo, I would say you had a bad batch. I personaly will not shoot that crap in any of my guns other than my SKS and it was probably raised on it anyways. To me, steel cased rounds feeding into steel chambers cannot be a good thing. This is just my opinion though, some people buy nothing but Wolf and thats fine for them. God luck with your new gun, give it a chance to break-in. If its not ok after 500 rounds, I would give SA a call.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here un DR I get Aguilla FMJ and the IQ (very expensive) and neither one of them gave me or my friend any problem

I have a SC 9mm he has a 910

My gun already has like 300 rounds, no problem at all.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was having the same problem when I first got my XD40 SC. It would FTF using the Xtended mag that came with it. After putting almost 200 rounds thru it, the frequency of the jams began to lessen, but I put a call in to SA customer support anyway. They recommened I put at LEAST 250-300 rounds thru it as a "break-in" period. If it continued after that, the magazine was probably responsible. That afternoon I put another 150 thru it and didn't have one failure. Give it time, it will work out. Oh, and mine is only a month old.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
EVERYBODY CHILL!! He's upset because his gun didn't function as it is supposed to. It is new, he spent 425+ dollars on it. By all means, it should work and it did not. The XD isn't perfect, nothing is. It's OKAY to say 'negative' things about it so long as they are not malarky..(Quote feature not working on this 'puter)

Amen, Brother. The last thing we need is for this place to turn into the Springfield Worship Center, or Glocktalk. It's just a gun, and it either works or it don't. His didn't. FWIW we have two .40's, bought two years ago, that have run like clockwork- and with lots of Wolf 180 FMJ. Your gun should work with any .40 factory load. Don't settle for anything less.[/quote]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am a proud owner of the XD 40 sub in Bitone too. I have over 2500 rounds through it since the Spring, now it will spit any brand ammo I feed it. Break yours in with at least 500 rds. and it will spit well.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
It may be that limp wristing is part of the jamming. The primer issue is another thing. But as others have indicated fire several hundred rounds thru if before you worry too much. Things will smooth out and start to slide easier.
Did you slather it with lube? It won't hurt it during the break in, although it might slow down the break in. But it will likely make it function better until the parts wear in. Hang in there, it gets better. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check the primer hole for signs of a burr (you need to use a jeweler's magnifying loupe). You might add a drop of breakfree and try shooting some more. It is likely you have a burr or some contaminant that is preventing the firing pin from striking full force....

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had many failure to extract problems in the first 500 rounds on my sc9. I've put another ~800 rounds through it since I came here and posted my "I'm disappointed in my new XD" thread and haven't had a single issue. It's been flawless.

I can only assume that the same will happen for you. Just keep going out to the range and put the ammo through it. It'll break itself in in no time.

UD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
XDTOM40 said:

Like OS said, buy some decent ammo, shoot about 500 rounds through it to break it in and then post what your thoughts and experiences are. Just my .02
Sorry for any negativity that I may have conveyed in my post. I did not intend to come across as negative about the XD's.

I have appreciated everybody's assistance on this. My jams are at the point of loading another cartridge into the hole. Like my slide is not coming back strong enough. The helpful folks at Doug's shoot and sport told me that I may have limp wrist. :oops: I'm meeting with them tomorrow and hopefully they can give some suggestions. I will let you all know what they tell me. Thanks to everybody for their advice and help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had problems with FTF with my 40 Tactical. Then I read all the advise I found on this forum and fixed it my self which was easy. Now no problems at all except with the Fiocchi ammo. I even reloaded the different brands and I still had a problem with two out of ten of the Fiocchi brass. So now I toss the Fiocchi brass that doesn't work and keep the Fiocchi ones that work. The other brands no problem at all. By the way that reloaded 180gr lead is accurate. Haven't tried Wolf yet. :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That narrows down your problems pretty well...

You either have

• magazine problem.. use different mag
  • feed ramp problem.. polish the feed ramp
  • an ammo problem.. use different ammo
  • or the lips on your mag well are tweaked.. tweak them
  • limpwristing.. Don't know
  • your gun is hopelessly ****ed up.. sell it to me at a tremendous discount.

Sorry your new weapon is frustrating you. I am glad that you have a good attitude about it and are working to figure it out.

One thing I don't understand.. limpwristing. This is not, if I understand the term correctly, possible with the XD. You have to grasp the pistol properly, depressing the grip safety to allow the sear to drop. If the sear doesn't drop, the gun doesn't go "bang".. If the gun doesn't go "bang" you will not have a problem with the pistol not cycling another round. It can't cycle another round if you didn't shoot it.

I could be wrong about the term though.. but I am fairly certain about the mechanics.

Raymond

1 - 20 of 32 Posts