Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I traded in my Beretta CX-4 for this gun plus 200.00 cash back... my beretta had 200.00 of accessories. Good deal? My XD-40 came with the carry case 3 magazines and holster.

---
Well I was between Tarus 24/7 and the XD... my choice should be clear to you. I figure that the XD is higher quality then Tarus and the warranty and overall look/feel sold me.

Now I can't tell you how happy I was when I read of Conversion Barrels! Is my understanding right?

EFK FireDragon seems to be the best choice?
With my XD-40 I could choose between a 9mm or 357
I could use factory 40 S&W mags (although I will just buy additional ones)

My thoughts are to grab a 9mm barrel when in stock and two, 9 mm magazines.

So the XD 9mm and 40 S&W are the same gun frame? only difference is magazines, slides, and maybe springs... but there is no need to change springs with a conversion barrel unless your picky?
---

After getting this bad boy home... I'm saying to myself darn! should of got the two tone. Mine is black all over. Is it possible to order another slide? I've seen this duracoat and that seems to be an option but I think I'd like a stainless steel slide. Where the barrel shows through the slide that is black and I can notice some marks from movement ( I know it's normal ) could I just gentle sand or remove the paint from this part? Then order a stainless slide... or find a way to make it so?

(Figure I could always buy another XD and interchange them. )

---

After getting home and taking the gun apart and putting it back together... seems there is no way to avoid dry firing this gun upon reassembly? Is it an issue in newer guns... I'd say the gun has been dry fired about 8 times... I hate doing it... gotta order some caps... just your thoughts on it as I didn't seen any recent posts.

--

For the record I bought 4 boxes of 100 round WWB and 100 UMC tommorow I plan to shoot it all! :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
seems ajamesp51 painted a slide tan... See his thread with pics of his XD collection...

I'd like to get some info on the best way to paint your slide. (DuraCoat seems a bit complex searching the web... airbrush, possibly use an oven)

Read in the forum one gun polished his barrel using a dremel... seems to be what I'm looking for as long as I can keep the rust down afterwards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems on Springfield's website... In the Custom XD section... they will Hard Chrome all metal parts of the gun for 145.00

anyone have this done

·
Registered
359 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase!

Don't worry about the dry firing on disassembly... If it was a problem, the folks in Croatia that designed it wouldn't have designed it that way...

-stunks

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are lots of finishing options. Tripp Research can hard chrome that slide. Personally I like blued guns (tactical is everything) but I'm going to get my barrel hard chromed to match Don's guide rod. I think it will look sleek. I'm going to go with Tripp Research.

Don't worry about dry firing... I believe SA would design the gun differently, and not force you to dry fire when disassembling if it was going to harm it . I also use snap caps, but for instructional purposes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts