Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering are night sights really needed or just add to the cool factor? my thoughts are in a defensive situation you wouldn't site your gun you would just point and fire.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
i was wondering are night sights really needed or just add to the cool factor? my thoughts are in a defensive situation you wouldn't site your gun you would just point and fire.
What if you just "point and fire" and miss the bad guy and hit an innocent bystander? What if that innocent bystander happened to be your wife or child or another member of your family? Night sites help with low light situations. I never thought they were worth it, but after having some now I can't imagine not having them. You must be able to identify and see your target in a defensive situation. End of story, period. Whether you get night sites or not is up to you, but you can't and don't just point and shoot unless you are able to put the muzzle of the gun right up against the bad guy's chest.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Good point, never thought of that one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i understand your point but i am very comfortable with handling firearms even though my collection is just getting started and i am very aware of where the muzzle is pointed. hey sounds like good reasons to add them to the xd since that is my nightstand gun for now

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Are you that comfortable in a self-defense situation? You can be greatest marksman on a gun range shooting at paper bad guys but that can all go out the window in a life or death situation.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
What if you just "point and fire" and miss the bad guy and hit an innocent bystander? What if that innocent bystander happened to be your wife or child or another member of your family? Night sites help with low light situations. I never thought they were worth it, but after having some now I can't imagine not having them. You must be able to identify and see your target in a defensive situation. End of story, period. Whether you get night sites or not is up to you, but you can't and don't just point and shoot unless you are able to put the muzzle of the gun right up against the bad guy's chest.
I have thought about them for my XD-40. Just never thought they were worth the money.

My new Kimber Ultra CDP has night sights. Wow, what a differance at night, or even in low light conditions.

They help you find your gun in the dark too.
That was the very first thing I noticed, easy to spot the gun on the night stand at night.

My XD-40 will be getting night sights with in the next two weeks.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Are you that comfortable in a self-defense situation? You can be greatest marksman on a gun range shooting at paper bad guys but that can all go out the window in a life or death situation.
That's why I prefer a TLR-2 over night sights for my main HD gun. Laser/light combo FTW!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think it i a good idea to see what you are shooting at, especially in your own home, where there are things you don't want to shoot. You will most likely blind whomever you light up with these modern gun light also, reducing the chances you actually have to shoot them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts