Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend just got a new XD-40 service model and we both loaded the 10-round mags up , it was one that still had the 10-rounders its new in box . We loaeded them up and when he tried to test the mags to see how easy they would drop out of the gun, the damn mag release button was harder than hell! Like the full mag was causing it to do this , but when the mag is out , the button push's in and out like normal . What could casue this? It was like the full mag was causing the mag release button to be in a bind.Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah, mine did with the 12 rounder. I left the mag. loaded for weeks and it finally loosened up the spring in the mag. Shoot alot and keep the mags loaded they will loosen up and stop the binding.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Two things to try.

1. Try loading only 9 rounds and dropping the mag. If this works easily you may just have really stiff springs. Remember, if there are ten rounds in the mag and none in the chamber, the top round is being pushed down into the maga little because it is contacting the bottom of the slide.

2. Check for the bottom of the mag bulging down when in loaded in the gun with 10 rounds. Mine was doing that and I took off 1/8" from the bottom of the spring guide. No more problems.

·
Registered
463 Posts
thats completely normal with a new full mag. It loosens up over time but will still be stiffer than if the mag is empty. In a firing situation your not going to be dropping a full mag anyway so it's not really an issue.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got to looking and when all 10 rds are in , the thing that goes into the mag (little lip) from the frame of the gun that hold the mag inside the frame in the gun , anyways , its getting jammed between two rds. You know what i mean? If you look down inside the gun with the mag out and the slide locked open , you will see the mag -release button "catch" that holds the mag inside the gun , well it seems to be getting jammed in between two rounds when fully loaded. Will thses indeed get any better? Sholud i tell him to load his mags up and let them sit for a week? Or would getting some 12 rounders be better?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he's a policeman like me and is using his XD as off-duty weapon/court weapon , so when he comes home everyday and wants to drop the mag out to unload it (he has kids and doesnt want them hurt), it will be almost impossible to drop the mag cause its so stiff when you push the mag-release button and it feels like its gonna break!

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Take the base plates off the magazine. Then take a pot of boiling water....drop the mag bases into the water for about 30-40 seconds. Dry the bases off and reinstall them on the magazine, load it up and give it a try. You will make the base plates more flexable by rehydrating them it wont cure anything but should help.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Maybe someone said this and I missed, push up on the bottom of the mag and then hit the release will come out easily.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
has anyone else had this same EXACT problem?

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Did you try the downloading method loead 7 or 8 rounds and see if its still hard to eject. If its not as hard then the spring is the culprit. The more rounds the more the spring is comressed. Is it hard to load the full 10 rounds in the magazine...remeber this pressure is against the mag release.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thats it , so do you think he should throw away the mag ? Could it be a faulty spring?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Corey G said:
Maybe someone said this and I missed, push up on the bottom of the mag and then hit the release will come out easily.
hey thanks! thats what it needed .So will this improve over time? We have to push real hard on the bottom of the mag then hit the release and it comes out . I sure hope it improves over time. Could the spring be just really stiff inside the mag?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, as several people have mentioned, it will get better as the springs wear in.... Try loading and then unloading the mags several times a night and leaving the mags loaded over night. This should help the process. At least, it did for my 5 magazines....

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
appreciate it everyone !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts