Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SA-XD gang, I'm new here and decided to spill my guts on my new XD-40. I haven't owned a gun in over 25 years and I want to get back into casual target shooting and home defense.

After much investigation I decided to test-fondle a few different models of semi-autos at a local gun show. I also have two freinds who are serious gun owners who gave me great advice. To make a long story short, when I picked up that XD at the show I knew this was the ONE! It pointed so nice and felt so secure in my small hands I grabbed it and paid $389 +tax. I would have paid more if it wasn't a special price.

The problem:

I had four misfires during 200+ rounds fired! A misfire to me is pulling the trigger and nothing happens. The striker did not hit the bullet primer.

Here is the report I sent with my gun back to Springfield today:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7/9/2005.
Purchased at the Berea, Ohio Gun show from: BBC Weapons Armory LLC
12398 Udall Rd., Hiram, OH 44234, 330-569-7734

7/14/2005. Disassembled the gun, cleaned and lubricated it. I used an Outers Pistol Cleaning Kit.

7/15/2005. First time shooting this gun. The weather was sunny and dry at the outdoor range.

I used Winchester brand .40 S&W 180gr ammunition. I loaded one round, fired it and everything felt fine. I then loaded 10 rounds in the magazine and fired them without incident. I loaded another 10 rounds, and after the 2nd round I pulled the trigger and the gun did not fire. I removed the round and inspected it. There was no mark on it from the striker or anything unusual. I continued firing the gun without incident. I reloaded the round that did not fire and it fired ok. After about 20 more rounds fired, the same thing happened, a misfire. I then disassembled the gun and cleaned and lubricated it. I then loaded 10 rounds and had another misfire, again the round looked ok and had no mark on it from the striker.

At this point I fired the last of the 50 rounds of the Winchester ammunition, including the rounds that did not fire, and switched to Remington UMC .40 S&W 180gr. I then fired about 50 rounds without incident.

7/16/2005. Cleaned and lubricated the gun.

7/20/2005. Fired the gun at an indoor range. After firing about 75 rounds of the Remington UMC 180gr factory loads, I let a friend shoot it. After about 3 or 4 rounds, the gun misfired. The round appeared to be in the chamber properly, but the striker did not hit it. There were no unusual marks on the bullet as before. I then fired about 30 rounds without incident.

7/21/2005. Cleaned and lubricated the gun.

7/21/2005. Called BBC Weapons Armory and talked to the saleslady who gave me a contact person at Springfield to talk to.

7/22/2005. Contacted Springfield and was instructed to send it in for testing and repair.

There was no cleaning brush included with this gun. I think one was supposed to be included.

PLEASE RUSH THE TESTING AND REPAIR OF THIS GUN, IT’S THE ONLY GUN I OWN.

Also, please include a Test/Repair report with my returned pistol. I would like to know the root cause of the failure and how the problem was rectified. I don’t want this pistol to fail when I need it the most.

Signed and dated for today, 7/22/05.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Springfield gave me a UPS shipping number so I would not have to pay the $60 shipping charge - very nice!

And BBC Weapons Armory LLC was very helpfull and they stand by their products. They are very confidence inspiring while I am stressed out.

I will post the results of the repairs when my baby returns.

Thanks for listening,
Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great letter- Springfield SHOULD make everything right quickly for you. I have not had to send my pistol in for service, but from what I have heard, Springfield will send a report on the problem, what they did to repair it and they will even send you a test target back showing how your pistol groups after repair.

Sorry you got a lemon........

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's a strange one. I'd have to guess that the striker saftey (firing pin block) somehow did not fully disengage. More than likely SA will replace the striker, striker safety and trigger assembly if they aren't able to pin-point exactly what the problem was.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever it is I'll report it here, probably in a week or so........In the mean time I contacted them to replace the stock sights with the Trijicons while they have it.

Tom

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got the XD-40 back this morning at 8:45am via FedEx overnight. It took exactly 3 WEEKS.

See the 'Report' below:

After grabbing one of my shooting buddies, we were at the outdoor range by 11:30 am and started to sight it in at 25ft.

Sad Story Short - It JAMMED on the 3rd round!
It then JAMMED on the 20th round!
Then it JAMMED on about the 40th round!
Then it JAMMED while manually operating the slide after inserting a new magazine!

Each of the four jams would not let the slide close.
I used Winchester 165gr FMJ, Remington UMC 180gr FMJ and CCI Blazer Brass 180gr FMJ. Each brand had at least one of the failures.

I immediately called Springfield and told them the problem. Theys said ship it and gave me the shipping account number. I then boxed it and took it to the UPS launch pad so it will be delivered overnight by Monday.

The previous failures were all failures to fire. After they "REAMED CHAMBER" all the failures are now failure to feed. Can anybody make sense of this?
Before going to the range the feed ramp was highly polished, just like when it was new. See the pics of the dirty gun below - I did not feel like cleaning it for some reason, and see how the polish is gone:

Needless to say I told them not to send this gun back, just replace it! I'll have to wait until next week to see what they will do for this very mad customer.

Boy am I glad I did not have them do some custom work on it while they had it. If they could have done the custom work (trigger, sights, etc.) quickly I would have done it and been real, real sorry.

Tom

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, here is me sighting the doomed XD in at 25 feet:

And my Glock-owner buddy proved with this 8 shot group using my XD that my inexperience is showing:

As long as the round is fully into the chamber this gun can shoot!

Tom

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Sounds like a raw deal to me. Springfield needs to pull their heads out of their asses with this gun and their customer service. From what I've gathered it's like the bastard step-child that no one really wants to pay attention to at springfield. Can you blame them with all of the waranty requests about an absolutly terrible finish? I blame the Croats (joking)

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Ya know, having looked at your pictures, it looks like your ramp is just a WEE bit dirty.

chupacabrachus- your attitude is ...........ah it aint worth it. However, your rant of " From what I've gathered it's like the bastard step-child that no one really wants to pay attention to at springfield." Sounds about right for a instigating "troll". Hopefully your just a misinformed "person". Fact- XD's are hard to keep on the shelves in the stores, why, um, people are buying them. Why, um, a lot of people seem to like them. Why, um, they are good guns. Word has it that the XD's are the major sales item for SA.

Granted, SOME of them have finnish problems. You show me a gun, no show me anything that dosen't have some problems along the way. Did you happen to review the post / poll asking everyone if they had rust or not? Far more have no rust then do.

sorta like talking into the wind, useless.

peace,
ya commie

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I left it dirty when I got home from the range, maybe the ramp is still polished ok, I won't know becuase it's in mail now. I was too bummed to clean it.

The 'repair' report said they tested it with 100 rounds - I have to figure they had to have some failures! Maybe they have an acceptable failure tolerance....I hope not.

I just hope I end up with a working XD, its so nice to shoot!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep us posted, NewXD40fun.

I have similar problems with my XD40-SC. I had two failures to fire (no dent in the primer) out of two hundred rounds, using 100 ea., Walmart Green and White Box ammo. Oddly enough, it was the 2nd round out of each box that failed. - Go figure!

I called SA with my issue and was told to do a thorough cleaning of the firing pin area, to remove any factory goo or crumbs, and try again. - Unfortunately, it'll be a few weeks until I can get back to the range and retest.

Your post and photos raise a few questions for me...

You said your feed ramp is highly polished. Was your pistol cleaned before taking it back to the range? (Is the fowling on your feed ramp from the 40+ rounds you fired after you received it back from Springfield?) - That's a lot of fowling. Almost looks like the blueing (for lack of the proper finish name) was never polished off. Even after a few hundred rounds it should still resemble bare metal.

Also, it may be due to the lighting in the photos, but your breach looks wet. Did you spray few shots of lube into the works? If so, was your magazine inserted when you did this, or do you lube (oil or grease) your magazines? - It's possible that could be your problem. A lubed magazine can definitely throw a wrench into the works of a semi-auto pistol.

Stove

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stovepipe said:
Keep us posted, NewXD40fun.

I have similar problems with my XD40-SC. I had two failures to fire (no dent in the primer) out of two hundred rounds, using 100 ea., Walmart Green and White Box ammo. Oddly enough, it was the 2nd round out of each box that failed. - Go figure!

I called SA with my issue and was told to do a thorough cleaning of the firing pin area, to remove any factory goo or crumbs, and try again. - Unfortunately, it'll be a few weeks until I can get back to the range and retest.

Your post and photos raise a few questions for me...

You said your feed ramp is highly polished. Was your pistol cleaned before taking it back to the range? (Is the fowling on your feed ramp from the 40+ rounds you fired after you received it back from Springfield?) - That's a lot of fowling. Almost looks like the blueing (for lack of the proper finish name) was never polished off. Even after a few hundred rounds it should still resemble bare metal.

Also, it may be due to the lighting in the photos, but your breach looks wet. Did you spray few shots of lube into the works? If so, was your magazine inserted when you did this, or do you lube (oil or grease) your magazines? - It's possible that could be your problem. A lubed magazine can definitely throw a wrench into the works of a semi-auto pistol.
Stove
YES, the ramp was still polished when I got it back from SA. I took it apart to see if it was lubed and it was. I assembled it and went directly to the range.

YES, the ramp may only be fouled from my shooting - I did not think to clean it at the time as I was hurring trying to call SA and getting it packaged to take to UPS before it closed on Friday.

NO, I did no lubing or cleaning of any kind before and after I did the shooting.

I had even purchased two extra magazines from Pistol-Gear and used all four during the testing, it did not matter which magazine or which of three different brands of ammo was used.

I had the failure to fire problems the first time I sent it back and now it fails to fire after they 'fixed' and 'tested' it. Not a good sign of SA dependabilty.

I'll keep you informed and I will call them today.

Tom

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Tec, I know it's an excellent and popular firearm. Why else would I own one? I've read the polls and countless posts about rust: who has it and who doesn't. Seems like maybe about 90% of the people do not have rust. In my mind, there should be 100% of people w/ out it. I don't know if it's a quality control issue or those 10%(est.) of people just do not take good enough care of their firearms. Which ever it is, it still seems silly to me that the problem even exists. Guns which cost half of the price of an XD have zero rust problems unless you leave them out in the rain all day. We could argue to no end about whether the problem exists or not, that horse has been dead for a long time, and there is no point in continuing to beat it.

Peace,
ya guy who thinks because I think SA should provide a better finish on their product makes me a communist.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I called Springfield yesterday, they have had my XD40 for eight days. This is my second return if you all remember.

They said to call back on September 6th if I don't hear from them before that time!!!! That's another two weeks from now.

I think I will find an inexpensive Ruger 9mm CCW style semi-auto so I at least can practice for a CCW permit. There is a gun show in Berea, OH this weekend so I will be looking. The XD SC looks great but if I buy one and it fails I will only be further depressed.

If I get the Ruger then I can comfortably wait for the XD to come home and be ready to send it back immediately if/when it fails.

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought my XD 40 on impulse, was at my dealer to pick up a Handi rifle and he said a friend had returned his XD 40 , was a Glock man and he didn't like it. The price was right, so I bought it. So far, a great pistol. Also have a Glock 22 40, and three Rugers. KP90, KP95 and the new KP345. All good pistols, never a FTF or FTL with any of them.Love them all!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
poncaguy said:
I bought my XD 40 on impulse, was at my dealer to pick up a Handi rifle and he said a friend had returned his XD 40 , was a Glock man and he didn't like it. The price was right, so I bought it. So far, a great pistol. Also have a Glock 22 40, and three Rugers. KP90, KP95 and the new KP345. All good pistols, never a FTF or FTL with any of them.Love them all!
Good choice!

Even with all the trouble I've had with mine I still admire its design. When I get it back I am confident it will perform flawlessly.

My other pistol shoots well but does not feel nearly as well as the XD!

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like you just got a lemon for yours. I bought my XD 40 in June and have had no FTF or FTE. I have put upwards of 800 rounds through it, and only cleaned it three times. I have used mostly Winchester whitebox 180 gr FMJ , CCI blazer, Speer, and some reloads with nary a hiccup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tom,

I sincerely hope that you get yours situated. It seem that you are really impressed with this gun, much like the rest of us here, or you would have quitted on it a long time ago. I personally have an XD40 and had fired it at least 1000+ rounds with no complications, and I'm not the best or most active cleaner either. Springfield should just replace you one if it persists, or they just might lose an impressed fan. Good Luck!

I'm so impressed with the XD40 that I am trying to get the ported version, but the wait is long...can't stand it!

ES

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the encouragement eradk8.

I will be an XD fan for life no matter what happens with this particular gun. I also plan to have it customized and to buy more XDs in the future.

I expect to get it back by the end of next week and I have already purchased 200 more rounds of WWB at WalMart to really give it a workout!

tom

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called Springfield today (Tuesday) to check on my XD that they have had since August 15th. They said they will check on its status and call me back. It sure has been a looooong three weeks.

No call back today... :(

I'm going shooting tomorrow morning with my dependable Taurus to relieve the stress.

Tom

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Springfield called today while I was out.

They are replacing my XD-40 Service completely!

Within two more weeks I will recieve a new XD straight from the factory!

Boy do I feel better about XDs now.

That cheapo Taurus I bought fires averthing I feed it without complaint, so I now know for sure that I am not cursed with the 40 caliber witch spell!

Tom

1 - 20 of 39 Posts