Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to the forums here. I have not really posted much but I have been following several threads.

Tomorrow I am picking up my first hand gun(Just turned 21 last month) the XD 40 service model. I am SUPER excited. I was wondering if any of you more experienced owners could share some knowledge with me.

I was wondering if there was anything I should definitely not do or definitely do.
Should I lube the gun when I get it?

What are some basics about these guns I should know for example. Is it ok to dry fire while the gun is UNLOADED? pulling the slide back and releasing it and pulling the trigger? or pulling the slide back and hitting the slide release and letting it slam? will these things damage the gun?

any knowledge on how to maintain the gun well would be appreciated it greatly

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Im not a fan of releasing the slide and letting it slam on an empty chamber. Dry firing is ok, but if you do it a lot, you may fracture the striker retaining pin. Check out this link.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-gunsmithing-maintenance/61245-how-replace-xd-striker-retainer-pin.html

I would read the manual and do a feild strip and cleaning and then get as much ammo as you can afford and start enjoying your new purchase. I have the same pistol, no longer stock, but feel it is very reliable, accurate and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not a fan of releasing the slide and letting it slam on an empty chamber. Dry firing is ok, but if you do it a lot, you may fracture the striker retaining pin. Check out this link.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-gunsmithing-maintenance/61245-how-replace-xd-striker-retainer-pin.html

I would read the manual and do a feild strip and cleaning and then get as much ammo as you can afford and start enjoying your new purchase. I have the same pistol, no longer stock, but feel it is very reliable, accurate and fun to shoot.

Alright thanks for that piece of advice. I wont be dry firing too much! or slamming the slide down for that matter. I bought 300 rounds of Remington UMC 180gr FMJ.

What is limp wristing?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Alright thanks for that piece of advice. I wont be dry firing too much! or slamming the slide down for that matter. I bought 300 rounds of Remington UMC 180gr FMJ.

What is limp wristing?
What is sounds like, a limp wrist on the gun, so the recoil really sends the gun "rolling" back.

I bought some snap-caps to dry practice on.
Tipton Snap Cap 40 S&W Polymer Package of 5 - MidwayUSA

X2 on the field strip & cleaning.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Yea!!!! Welocme to the Springfield family! :D

They say: "The future of handguns"
You say: ????

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have dry fired mine many many times. Mostly before I learned the retaining pin could break. So a few times shouldn't hurt, but a marathon session may call for snap caps. Clean it well and lube it before you shoot it the first time. Since my barrel lug is showing wear after over 25,000 rounds, I suggest making sure the lug gets oiled good. I can see where it rubs on the frame and thats causing the wear. If I remember correctly the XDm and new XDs have a better lug design. I clean mine after every trip to the range. Even if I only shoot 50 rounds. Although I just do a light cleaning it I shoot less than 100 rounds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is sounds like, a limp wrist on the gun, so the recoil really sends the gun "rolling" back.

I bought some snap-caps to dry practice on.
Tipton Snap Cap 40 S&W Polymer Package of 5 - MidwayUSA

X2 on the field strip & cleaning.

So will limp wristing result in a Failure to Battery?

and I just picked up my XD40 yesterday. I followed along with the second video while cleaning/lubing my gun. I used Break Free CLP.

I cant wait to take it to the range now.

Thanks for all the welcoming GUYS!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have dry fired mine many many times. Mostly before I learned the retaining pin could break. So a few times shouldn't hurt, but a marathon session may call for snap caps. Clean it well and lube it before you shoot it the first time. Since my barrel lug is showing wear after over 25,000 rounds, I suggest making sure the lug gets oiled good. I can see where it rubs on the frame and thats causing the wear. If I remember correctly the XDm and new XDs have a better lug design. I clean mine after every trip to the range. Even if I only shoot 50 rounds. Although I just do a light cleaning it I shoot less than 100 rounds.

I was thinking about getting some snap caps. But i cannot grasp why they cost so damn much for 5 rounds!

Why might dry firing cause the retaining pin to break anyway? just trying to understand what is going on inside my pistol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What's up brother in h8 and in XD 40. I got mine about a month ago and just under 1k .40 and 1k 9mm rounds through it (I reload lol) so far and never a problem. I suggest you get a good set of night sights as an early upgrade. After that I HIGHLY recommend an after market trigger either Springer or PRP, My PRP is a crisp 4lb pull and travel and reset are cut in half.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's up brother in h8 and in XD 40. I got mine about a month ago and just under 1k .40 and 1k 9mm rounds through it (I reload lol) so far and never a problem. I suggest you get a good set of night sights as an early upgrade. After that I HIGHLY recommend an after market trigger either Springer or PRP, My PRP is a crisp 4lb pull and travel and reset are cut in half.

Hahah thanks brother! I dont know if you saw my post in the accessory section but I am definitely going to get some Trijicon HD's thrown on their. Guess I will the well known James do them for me.

as for the trigger job, I want to pop out several hundred rounds before i decide to do that. Unless i really cant stand the stock trigger on the XD. Im no too picky i dont think ahaha

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So will limp wristing result in a Failure to Battery?
Ya...all the energy is lost to the hand and nothing get's stored up in the spring to send the slide forward. Proper grip eliminates this.

There's less expensive snap caps. That was just a quick Google. Theory on snap caps is the firing pin actually strikes something and there's an energy transfer, rather than the pin hitting dead air and the pin absorbs the energy. Or something like that. :cool: There's many a thread in these forums whether to dry practice empty or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya...all the energy is lost to the hand and nothing get's stored up in the spring to send the slide forward. Proper grip eliminates this.

There's less expensive snap caps. That was just a quick Google. Theory on snap caps is the firing pin actually strikes something and there's an energy transfer, rather than the pin hitting dead air and the pin absorbs the energy. Or something like that. :cool: There's many a thread in these forums whether to dry practice empty or not.
ANother Question. I was watching these videos and I was thinking to myself. Is limp wristing more prone in smaller caliber handguns because there is less of a powder charge to drive the slide completely back. SO is it easier to get FTE's and FTB's on smaller caliber pistols as opposed to higher caliber.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
ANother Question. I was watching these videos and I was thinking to myself. Is limp wristing more prone in smaller caliber handguns because there is less of a powder charge to drive the slide completely back. SO is it easier to get FTE's and FTB's on smaller caliber pistols as opposed to higher caliber.
I dunno. IMO, it probably doesn't matter as it has variables in guide rod spring "strength", caliber, caliber grain, power charge, amount of recoil distance traveled from initial position, energy lost in that, etc, etc...

Get a good grip, proper isometric tension, and learn Type 1, 2 & 3 malfunction clearance drills (in case it does happen). No worries! :D

·
Banned
263 Posts
Nice. Love my XD40. Get some good jhp's for SD/HD 180gr should do. Buy extras to confirm your XD will chew em n spit em out. Shouldn't be an issue though. Check out the ammo can. Welcome home...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't worry about limp wristing with your XD. My XD has never malfunctioned from limp wristing but the dumb Glock does it all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts