Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this pistol new and have fired 18 rounds through it I dissembled it. to clean and lube before I shoot it again I noticed when the slide is to the rear I can move the barrel both up and down and front to rear. This is my first XD and thought I would ask someone with more knowledge what they think. Also the barrel is scarred about every 1/4' all the way around. Is any of this normal ? I called Springfield this morning and they told me I need to shoot it 100- 200 times to break it in. Really ? 200 bucks worth of ammo to break it in. Doesn't anything shoot right out of the box anymore. You have to understand I am 81 and I never had to break my 1911s in.

Thanks I appreciate your help

Skilly

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought this pistol new and have fired 18 rounds through it I dissembled it. to clean and lube before I shoot it again I noticed when the slide is to the rear I can move the barrel both up and down and front to rear. This is my first XD and thought I would ask someone with more knowledge what they think. Also the barrel is scarred about every 1/4' all the way around. Is any of this normal ? I called Springfield this morning and they told me I need to shoot it 100- 200 times to break it in. Really ? 200 bucks worth of ammo to break it in. Doesn't anything shoot right out of the box anymore. You have to understand I am 81 and I never had to break my 1911s in.

Skilly
The barrel moving around is normal. I know it doesn’t seem to be right with how sloppy it is but don’t worry about it. The scarring on the barrel? Can you post some pics? Not sure about that. I have always tried to run 200 rounds at minimum through all my pistols that will be used for self defense and then run some of my carry ammo as well, a magazine or two of that. With all that said and the price of ammo, I would at minimum, run all your magazines that came with your pistol to ensure they are functioning properly with fmj practice ammo and do the same thing with what you are going to use for self defense ammo. Clean, lube and carry on. I have owned lots and lots of polymer pistols from Glock, HK, Springfield, FN, Shadow Systems, Ruger, Smith and Wesson and have never had a malfunction of any kind with any of them. They are man made I know but the vast majority of them will be trustworthy from the 1st round on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,446 Posts

Skilly
When the slide is locked back the barrel is not supported. When the slide is forward the rear of the barrel is locked to the slide and is supported.
Don

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I have had the scarring too and it seems normal. Welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the scarring too and it seems normal. Welcome!
Thanks guys. I have The rest of The box of 80 rounds that I bought. Hopefully it will change for the better with them.
The scarring is circular. around the barrel. Starts 1/4” from the front and is. Spaced 1/4” Going to the rear.
The plastic trigger and slide. Release are also hard to use, but I will see what
shooting it does.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Skilly
Hmmm, every Xd I have purchased has been accurate out of the box. The barrel moving with the slide to the rear is normal. The marks on the barrel, I couldn’t say. Did Springfield armory answer that question?
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, every Xd I have purchased has been accurate out of the box. The barrel moving with the slide to the rear is normal. The marks on the barrel, I couldn’t say. Did Springfield armory answer that question?
Good luck
I called them She said shoot it 200 times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Proper lubrication can slow the scarring. That pistol runs like a top and should cycle any ammo you throw at it from the first round. Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts