Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just waiting for the 10 day waiting period to finish and I'll have a bi-tone XD40. Picked it up from a good friend for a decent price. Now for the fun part. I was recently diagnosed with Ulnar Entrapment, which basically translates to the fact that half of my right, and dominate, hand is numb and I've lost a good portion of my motor control and strength in the hand and arm. This came on for unknown reasons and come about in 7 days, right after I started the 10 day period. I'm not willing to give up shooting and I was hoping that someone had some advice for switching from shooting right handed to left. Please chime in if you have any information. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Welcome from Northern California!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk!

The ulnar distribution of your ulnar nerve is the outer half of your ring and the entire pinky finger. There's a special test that we do to identify if your ulnar entrapment is located in your wrist or elbow. You might want to consider having a nerve conduction velocity test done if the symptoms were insidious in nature. Atrophy of the hand occurs at a very slow rate.

I hope you get that checked and be better soon. Motor control and sensory feedback are very important when shooting a firearm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm currently waiting for an appointment with a neurologist for further testing. Nerves are not exactly my area of expertise so I am going off of what my doctor said. Worse case scenario I learn to shoot lefty.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Worse case scenario I learn to shoot lefty.
I highly doubt it will come to that long term... get the source of the problem identified then get it fixed... it's doubtful this is a permanent thing unless you were in an accident of some sort...

call your primary doctor and have him order a nerve conduction study as zeroseven said... then that way when you see the neurologist you will have the results already...

the way you're going the neurologist will likely tell you you need a nerve study, order it, then you have to wait again to see him after the test... (unless the neurologist appointment is for the actual test and not a consultation)

good luck..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. A little outside perspective puts things into place. As far as I understand, the neurologist appointment will be for the actual test but I will know more tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Worse case scenario I learn to shoot lefty.
You should learn to shoot lefty no matter what.

When my Dad would take me to our ranch to shoot he would always have me shoot right handed one day, and left the next. I thank him very much for that, it's a great skill to be able to shoot with either hand.

We have just recently gotten into handguns, we've shot them before, but never put many rounds though them (ammo is A LOT more expensive then .22lr, and we only had 1 old 6 shooter .22). I'm currently trying to learn to shoot left handed, and it's very strange. But then again, it might be because I'm trying to learn when I'm 20, instead of 2.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I hope you get your problem sorted out....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
127,724 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts