Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I just picked up my new WASR-10 and wanted to find out some things.

What is good to use to get off all the oil/grease that is on metal?

What is good to use to refinished the furniture?

Also the slant break is a bit loose, is that normal?

What else is there that can be done to make this rifle more solid?

What are some mods that people have done to the WASR-10 to make it better?

Thanks All

·
Registered
378 Posts
brake cleaner works awesome, then just re oil places where u want oil

Tung oil works great for the stocks.

The being a bit loose is fine, theres a spring loaded pin at the bottom of the front site that holds it in place

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Welcome. Make sure and check for previouse posts, but I'll try to help.
1. Getting grease off- use REM Oil or Gun Scrubber
2. Get wood stripper to remove any oil and stain. I use minwax stain to stain wood and Deft clear coat to seal
3. My slant break is a little loose as well, do not think its a big deal.
4. The rifle is pretty solid as is, but you can change furniture. Cannot really think of any other way to make more solid.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
What is good to use to get off all the oil/grease that is on metal?
I marinate my steel parts in Hoppes #9. Dunno if it's best. It just works.

What is good to use to refinished the furniture?
With dirt and sand and grit applied by frequent use.

Also the slant break is a bit loose, is that normal?
Um... mine has a little play in it, too.

What else is there that can be done to make this rifle more solid?
Wait... are we talking about an AK?

What are some mods that people have done to the WASR-10 to make it better?
Ammo. Lots and lots of ammo. And magazines.

Maybe make sure you have a Tapco trigger group.

Oh, and ammo.

·
Registered
17,764 Posts
A. Its an AK clone
B. Its a Romainian AK clone
C. Its a Romanian AK clone built by drunks
D. Its a Romanian AK clone built by drunk disgruntled gorillas

And you really want to tighten it up...buy an AR :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Brake cleaner, Simple Green, Gun Scrubber (pick one) and a couple of cheapo toothbrushes and a turkey baster on the driveway is the best degreaser I have found. Don't do it inside!!!

Stripping the old finish off the wood can be done with one of the citrus based stripping agents (found at Home Depot) or Easy Off oven cleaner. Again....don't do it inside!

For refinishing wood after sanding all the old finish off, you can use Tru Oil. Hand rub it on with an old t-shirt....takes several coats and let them dry in between. This is a great looking, easy and water/weather proof finish I have used many times. Its also VERY forgiving compared to linseed or tung oils, which require a bit more experience before you can do a great job. I stay away from polyurethane finishes on guns....oil finishes hand rubbed look the best.

Yes, the brake is supposed to have some play. There is a spring loaded pin on the sight base that holds it on place. It has a left hand thread..so keep that in mind when you take it off and replace it.

Making the WASR better? Dunno...my AK is a custom built rifle. However, a Tapco G2 trigger and maybe better sights and a stock upgrade? Figure out WHAT you wish to improve...then go from there. Everyone likes different features and items on their AKs.

Hope this helps...

- brickboy240

·
Registered
992 Posts
And you really want to tighten it up...buy an AR :rolleyes:
I have to disagree. The overwhelming majority of reported problems from the factory can be easily corrected by anyone who is even remotely handy with common tools. They make for great project guns due to their low cost, and because of that, one doesn't shed a tear when chop mods are involved.

For what it's worth, I slapped this setup together for less than the cost of a basic rifle from one of the boutique builders:

Oh, and this sure as hell isn't AR envy, as I've got one of those in the collection as well...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You guys do all that? I use sand to lube sometimes mud. What DOESNT rattle or clank on an AK. Mods?..... hmmm like Ishpeck says, lots o ammo :razz: And why do you want to refinish the wood? Its an AK ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Especially BrickBoy.

I have seen ammo go WAY up...Are there any low prices out there? What is a good round...I hear some are great and some a rude.

Let me know.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Not WaSRs, but you can do anything you want....

AiM-74

real Mpi-Aks-47 (mine)

wz.88 Tantal

SAR 1

Bulgarian AKS-74 w/ Saiga gas tube and AMD-63 hand guard (mine)

SAR 1 in Galil make up (mine)

Another AKS-74 with AMD-65 stuff and M1 flash hider (mine)

Bulgarian 'mut'...AKS-74 receiver, with 5.56 barrel and bolt....(mine)

and who says you can't put a bayonet on an AMD65?? yes, those are galil hand guards...9built it for a friend, screw build)

you can do a bunch of stuff...just depends on your ability, what you are willing to do, and worst case-$$$, nothing I do is permanent, its all 'bolt on' like the AR guys do...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do I need to or should I take off the furniture to re-finish it? If so, how do I do that? This is new to me. If possible I would like to take the furniture off and clean the grease off and then refinish the wood and then put it back together.

I think that is all I want to do with it right now and spend money on ammo...Does anyone have good advice on what brand and where to get good ammo?

BTW...it does have a tapco G2 trigger.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Do I need to or should I take off the furniture to re-finish it? If so, how do I do that? This is new to me. If possible I would like to take the furniture off and clean the grease off and then refinish the wood and then put it back together.

I think that is all I want to do with it right now and spend money on ammo...Does anyone have good advice on what brand and where to get good ammo?

BTW...it does have a tapco G2 trigger.
It should have the G2 kit in it....

good info here.. Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts