Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this in this months issue of the blue press
Uspsa is introducing a provisional division called single stack.
Competitors must use a single stack 1911 with holster and mag pouches located behind the hips.
Single stack division rules are based on the single stack classic.
Minimum caliber 9mm Major power is 10mm
major power limited capacity is 8 rounds minor is 10 rounds.
Short list of eligible guns and the idea is to keep street type guns no optics or comps.No attachment points for external optics or lights
No barrel weight and coned or flanged barrels under 4.2"
Mag pouches are to be concealment type suitable for daily use.
No race type holsters.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There is a good artical about the new Division in the lates issue of Front Sight, the bi-monthly magazine you get as a USPSA member. I would probably do it if I had a 1911. Hmmmm... Maybe I will have to buy a 1911. :D

mcb

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know if you are big enough you could carry a 500 s&w but real world .
I would believe most people carry 4" or less.Personally my xd-sub is all I wear and you are absolutely correct .Opinions are like [email protected]#holes every one is different.
So I would be thinking micro compact 45 ,xd-sub ,The little block,ect.
If you carry a 5" iron 1911 you are a better man then me Maybe even add some air-lite s&w or titanium taurus and compete with what you carry and real world type targets.Maybe even something that shoots paint balls at you or rubber bullets

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
R/T Performance said:
Old School said:
I am having Rich build me a Canyon Creek Custom 1911 for just this Division.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose. I think the idea is buy 400-700 1911 and be competitive with it
That's just what I am going to do. It is a SA Mil-Spec with some new parts and a nicer trigger.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
JD McDorce said:
It will be interesting to see if they modify the prohibition for Pistols produced with attachment points for external lights or optics.
JD, I'll give you it straight from the horse's mouth (Gary Stevens, A5 director).

The intention of not allowing light rail guns at this time is to keep Springfield (or any other manufacturer) from bring out a full-length long heavy dust cover gun, cutting one or two slots in it and calling it a light rail.

This division is aimed at getting people to cross over from IDPA CDP/ESP and the Single Stack classic...walk off the IDPA stage, walk into the box, "Load and make ready", if you guys catch our drift.

The provision about race type pouches would be more of taking out things such as having the magazines sticking straight out such as ones that angle the magazine out at a 45 degree slant from one's body. I don't know if the Safariland 771/773s would be covered by that or not.

Email Gary about the mag pouches, [email protected], because I'm not sure.

Here's a link to the actual rulebook since the Dillon article isn't complete on the specifications and criteria for gear. http://www.uspsa.org/rules/1911_Single_Stack.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I welcome the new division and will most likely shoot it. Don't like the 10rd mags for the minor PF though. And I think that will be a downfall of it. Giving 2-3 extra rounds for make-up shots when shooting bunny fart loads in a 1911 will never make sense to me :roll: . It will only serve to start another equipment race for who can make the best 1911 in 9 minimeter.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
One thing I don't like what does having a rail on your 1911 make you so much better than a non railed 1911. Rails are whats in fashion and is a useful tool. Why disqualify a 1911 just for being a newer version with a rail. If you add stuff to the rail that's one thing but don't disqualify the rail.

I will have to bring out my Llama, and get all kinds of dirty looks:)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The minor power factor issue is a non-issue. 99.9% of shooter will shoot at major power factor. It is a rule since there are many out there with a .38 super single stack, that cannot make major safely. .40 or larger is needed for major.

Also if you are using 10 rounders for minor, you still need to make the 'box' rule. Many Single stacks with a 10 round mag sticking out will not meet the box requirements. 9mm type mags will...most .40 10 rounders will not. there is just too much sticking out of the gun.

As far as mag pouches.....mags and holsters must be 'reasonably concealable'. So pretty much and leather and kydex products are going to work. the rule is meant to be liberal, they don't want to get into the "IDPA" mindset where everything is defined to the inch and millimeter, 50% etc. coverage, etc, etc etc..

I've been to a couple of single stack matches. No one shot minor, a few people were put into minor after the chrono stage, but you are not competitive with a minor scoring.

I think the division will be good for USPSA, there will be more factory involvement, better sales of 1911's, and will allow shooters with equipment they've had laying around get back into the shooting sports.

Mullan

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
BTW,

If anyone from the board is in New Mexico, traveling through etc. You can shoot my USPSA club match for free. look up Mesilla Valley Pistoleros on the USPSA site. 1st saturday of every month.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
James:

ampleworks said:
The intention of not allowing light rail guns at this time is to keep Springfield (or any other manufacturer) from bringing out a full-length, long heavy dust cover gun, cutting one or two slots in it and calling it a light rail.
Take example of some STI guns, most of them have a long heavy dust cover, they cut a few slots in it and call it an accessory rail.

I've seen major 38 super put thru a 1911, though it wasn't just an off-the-shelf gun...it was like shooting a shooting a 45-70 derringer. Most are going to be shooting 40 or 45 most likely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts