Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad has a nice old sears .22(a marlin model 80) that ive been firing lately. im diggin it.

i already have a 10/22 and a single six .22 but i would like a bolt action rifle 22, if possible and reasonably priced, maybe a tube fed. im not finding much other than antiques for tube fed though. got any tips? is tube fed a pain in the butt? whats the pro's/cons?

·
Registered
124 Posts
take a look at the marlin 981. it is a tube feed bolt gun. i have one that is about 10 years old. it is cheap, accurate, and will shoot pretty much any 22 ammo.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not sure about in FL, but here in WA any pawn shop will have a Marlin model 60. I have one and love it, payed $80 for it. They are exceptional firearms, even when completely filthy it cycles perfectly.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I was looking at a used Henry lever action tube fed .22lr. I noticed the tube was bent at one point. The gun was not taken care of and maybe even dropped thus bending the tube. So that is a downside on any tube fed .22lr gun.

I've had my Marlin 60 for about 20 years and I've never bent the tube, but I take care of it.

Chapie+

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
One other issue with tube fed 22's is that if you leave them loaded for a long period the nose of the rounds will get flat, which can cause feed issues. Keep them unloaded and they work just fine.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My dad has a Model 60. SO much fun to shoot. Accurate, and super reliable, em3whitworth is dead on.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i found some nice looking savage rifles but im currently leaning towards a marlin 981t.

anything bad with the savage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts