Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering an xdm9; are there any dry firing issues? anyone have any target pics or range reports yet? if i get this gun, i'll be eliminating a CPO sig 226. opinions please.

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hello again. i'll introduce myself as chemclay and say i'm really impressed with the xdm, and would really appreciate xdm vs sig 226 opinions. anyone have and shoot both?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You would probably get a better "hello" response in the "new member" thread...

·
Registered
463 Posts
considering an xdm9; are there any dry firing issues? anyone have any target pics or range reports yet? if i get this gun, i'll be eliminating a CPO sig 226. opinions please.

thanks

The Springfield XDm safety manual for both .40 & 9mm states on page 7 the following:

"Before attempting to shoot, practice operations by
dry firing without a magazine and with the chamber
empty."

I would take that as it is OK to at least dry fire a Springfield XDm limited amount of times and you do have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

thanks
There are no issues with dry firing the XD(M) though snap caps are never a bad idea. I am assuming by CPO 226 you mean a previously owned 226 so the difference in price between a new XD(M) and a used 226 is probably minor. Generally CPO guns are LEO trades ins which may have holster wear but little actual use. Of course not all LEO pay as much attention to gun care as others and guns in better condition cost more money.

The biggest differences are:

Sig 226 Metal Frame, changeable grips XD(M) Polymer Frame molded grips

SIG 226 DA/SA 2 different trigger pull weights 10lbs./4.5lbs XD(M) USA trigger system 1 trigger pull weight 5lbs.-7lbs.

SIG 226 Manual Safety Hammer operated XD(M) Trigger and grip safeties requires no release of safety before firing. Striker operated with cocked indicator and loaded round indicator.

Both shoot very well, both are very reliable. Both disassemble easily.

SIG 226 Capacity 9mm 15 + 1, 40S&W 12 +1 XD(M) Capacity 9mm 19 +1, 40S&W 16 +1

My opinion is I don't like buying used guns I can't inspect first and fire if possible. Personal experience the XDs are easier to maintain and when needed quicker to bring into play. If you notice my signature I only have one SIG left and several XDs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
SIG 226 Manual Safety Hammer operated XD(M) Trigger and grip safeties requires no release of safety before firing. Striker operated with cocked indicator and loaded round indicator.
This seems to imply a manual safety needs to be released on the Sig. It really only functions as a decocker (as I'm sure you know, given that you have a P220). The gun can be fired in DA or SA without interacting with any safeties on a Sig.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
This seems to imply a manual safety needs to be released on the Sig. It really only functions as a decocker (as I'm sure you know, given that you have a P220). The gun can be fired in DA or SA without interacting with any safeties on a Sig.
I knew that...:roll: Either I'm getting old (which I am) and I don't type what my mind is thinking or what I type isn't what shows on the page. I suspect it's the first. Anyway I'm trying to discribe how the XD safety sytems work. Thanks I'll edit the post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts