Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm new to handguns, but just picked up a new XD40. I have yet to make it to the range and wanted to know if there is anything I should know or do before I go ...

$IMG_20110717_112128.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol and Welcome to the forum. Have you ever been shooting before with someone that has experience? If not, then I would take a few lessons with an instructor so that you get into good habits and avoid the bad ones.

Nothing you need to know really. I would usually field strip the gun and clean it, although I just bought an XD-45 that had almost no grease or gunk inside. Yours might be clean also, but I would check. Even if it's clean I would then lube it some.

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the new pistol and Welcome to the forum. Have you ever been shooting before with someone that has experience? If not, then I would take a few lessons with an instructor so that you get into good habits and avoid the bad ones.
Thanks, and I'm AD Army, so I have been shooting for years, just not too familiar with handguns. I've only ever fired the Beretta M9 before.

Nothing you need to know really. I would usually field strip the gun and clean it, although I just bought an XD-45 that had almost no grease or gunk inside. Yours might be clean also, but I would check. Even if it's clean I would then lube it some.
Yeah, a quick cleaning is on the list of stuff to do before heading to the range, which I hope I can find time for this week.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Colorado

Am sure you'll find the XD is a good firearm

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome..enjoy they are great guns. Not sure about the 40, but my 9 will shoot anything i put in it..as of today 1600+ not one malfunction.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I shot both my XDs right out of box since they were rather well lubed already, had no problems at all. Actually, 2,8K rounds later I have had no problems, period. None at all.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I think my XD9sc is now at 5000 rounds without issue; good guns IMO

·
Registered
480 Posts
The XD line are fine pistols.

Familiarize yourself through it's safety features which all can be found in the included manual;)

You'll have plenty of enjoyable problem free range trips with that pistol and it's not picky when it comes to ammo.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to XDTalk!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just went over 1400 rounds today with my XDm.

Shot all brands of ammo without issue but now just stick with WWB.

Congrats and have fun.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Hello and welcome to the fourm from Louisiana.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Just field strip and clean like you would after shooting. Just remember that you DON'T oil the striker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My XD40 is my baby and she is sexy as hell might I add. I have put a little over 6000 rounds through her and unlike most women she has no flaws. Just about 3000 of those rounds were reloads and the rest a grab bag of name brand rounds. Winchester Whit Box performs great and for protection rounds I use Hornady. Treat her with respect and she will never let you down!

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome from Texas, and to the Springfield family!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Welcome to the family. You'll enjoy your pistol. I've fired over 3000 rounds through my XD40 and it eats everything I feed it without a single malfunction. I own several other pistols but my XD is my favorite auto-loader.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts