Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just became the proud owner of my first handgun, for which I selected the XD-9 to accompany me. Although I used to be an avid rifle shooter, the handgun life will be new to me. I am here to learn from those who know, and probably also take advice from those who think they know.

A couple of first-time questions:

1. What is this "limpwrist" I keep reading about that affects the slide?

2. I'm wondering, even though it is a 9mm, is there a specific type of ammunition that would fair better in home defense? I heard of a round that hits with a lot of energy, then dissipates within the attacker... Was told of it during my handgun safety course, but forgot the name.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Hello and welcome from Northern California!

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Louisiana. A limp wrist is not gettin a good high grip on the pistol grip. This will let the gun move and the slide may not completly cycle.

It's also been called "cheating the slide".

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk!

I have an XD9 myself and Im sure you'll have fun shooting your new pistol.

Limp wrist is where the shooter's grip is not firm enough to hold the frame of the pistol steady while the bolt or slide of the pistol cycles. This condition often results in a failure to complete the operating cycle, properly termed a malfunction, but commonly (and incorrectly) termed a jam.

For you next question... I think you are referring to hollow point bullets. A hollow point is an expanding bullet that has a pit or hollowed out shape in its tip, generally intended to cause the bullet to expand upon entering a target in order to decrease penetration and disrupt more tissue as it travels through the target. It is also used for controlled penetration, where over-penetration could cause collateral damage (such as on an aircraft).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
There are some guns that are said to be succeptible to shooting "limp-wristed" but I have an XD9SC myself and I had all sorts of people shoot it with various ammo and it never failed. It now has about 2,000 rounds thru it and yet to have malfuctions of any sort. I think the XD won't be giving you much trouble in that aspect (or any other for that matter).

For HD you could go 2 ways:

- hollow points, for example HORNADY CRITICAL DEFENSE which expand rapidly and make the most of the caliber
- frangible rounds if you are more concerned about overpenetration in densely populated areas

There's pros and cons to either ... one thing you should definitely do for HD is have a set of electronic hearing protection at hand with the gun (plus one for everybody else in the place). It's gonna be very very loud indoors and the electronic protection will let you hear normally but clamp down on any loud sounds like gunshots.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
hi and welcome to the forum from Colorado

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico..enjoy your XD.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum...:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
There are some guns that are said to be succeptible to shooting "limp-wristed" but I have an XD9SC myself and I had all sorts of people shoot it with various ammo and it never failed. It now has about 2,000 rounds thru it and yet to have malfuctions of any sort. I think the XD won't be giving you much trouble in that aspect (or any other for that matter).

For HD you could go 2 ways:

- hollow points, for example HORNADY CRITICAL DEFENSE which expand rapidly and make the most of the caliber
- frangible rounds if you are more concerned about overpenetration in densely populated areas

There's pros and cons to either ... one thing you should definitely do for HD is have a set of electronic hearing protection at hand with the gun (plus one for everybody else in the place). It's gonna be very very loud indoors and the electronic protection will let you hear normally but clamp down on any loud sounds like gunshots.

I am not trying to bash but do you really have time during a HD event to put on hearing protection along with everyone in the home?. I think you will be so high on adrenaline that you more than likely will be immune or have tunnel hearing if you want to call it that.

·
Premium Member
22,510 Posts
hello there

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Welcome, looks like your questions have already been answered!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome from NW Michigan!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am not trying to bash but do you really have time during a HD event to put on hearing protection along with everyone in the home?. I think you will be so high on adrenaline that you more than likely will be immune or have tunnel hearing if you want to call it that.
You are correct, you may or may not have time. Hopefully you will have time because inside a house it doesn't take much to blast your hearing. Let's just say it doesn't hurt to have it ready even if you end up not using it as opposed to not having it and you could have used it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, everyone, for the welcoming and advice. I took my new member of the family to the range today and fired it for the first time. I placed 200 rounds through the target without any issues whatsoever. The sights were dead on. I couldn't be more happy with everything!

Friends of mine brought their firearms as well, and one of them, after firing my XD9, stated that he never fired something that felt as good and comfortable before. He is going to the gun shop tomorrow to buy one, along with possibly selling his Glock 9mm.

All in all, a great day!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts