Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm not new to guns by any means, but have never built my own assault rifle.

What all do you need to do to build one?

What is all the paperwork that is needed? Any licenses needed?
General assembly? Books to read?

Thanks for all the help!

Swany26

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks for all the help!

Swany26
First, don't call it an assault rifle. It's not ... unless you plan to assault someone. Second, there are close to a million (rough estimate) articles/threads on the Interweb with instructions on how to assemble an AR-15. Third, licensing and paperwork are generally no different from purchasing any other, similar weapon. The "lower" is the part that is deemed to be the actual firearm in the U.S.If you search this site ... this sub-forum ... you'll find tons of information about assembling AR's. Start there. Come back and ask specific questions. The members will be happy to help.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
most people like to build lowers, you dont need a whole lot of tooling and skill. Basically just need a decent punch set to knock in the roll pins. Theres lots of videos around to build lowers. Uppers are a different story, need a lot of up front tooling. I usually just get my uppers pre built the way I want, buy it, and not have to deal with building it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks for all the help!

Swany26
I'll list a few sources I like and then I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Not everyone agrees on this stuff, but I find much of it to be very helpful. M4carbine.net has some great stickies that you can read through that will at least help you begin to understand how you want to choose.

Here are some build links.

Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM

GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

The Range Bag

Many folks build the lower and buy a complete upper. Some folks really enjoy building the upper and others are probably better off buying the complete upper.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah, we can be pretty particular about terminology; don't call the thing that feeds it bullets a "clip". It's a "magazine". I'm having trouble getting that through to my son; he can be a dufus sometimes.

In fact, you can get full parts kits, except for the lower receiver, then get your lower, and there are all kinds of resources for assembly instructions. The lower receiver will require you to fill in the 4473 form just like any firearm, unless you get really ambitious and have a milling machine and want to make your own. Then there are seemingly infinite alternatives for most of the parts. You can customize the hell out of an AR. I'd start basic and learn about the cool stuff that's out there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get a punch set, an upper block to attach the barrel and flash hider and an AR/M16 armorers wrench. Then read......a lot.

I have the DPMS wrench and it has done great. There are many kinds though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts