Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the range today and discovered a rather discouraging problem. I keep on having a Failure to Load problem, where the slide would cock half back and not slide all the way forward on the new round. This happend about 8 times, with 150 rounds. It was especially prevalent on the 10th round of the magazine. I know this was probably the 100th time someone posted this, but this is the first time I have been on here in several months, and today was my second time fireing my new XD (By the way, when I bought it in Phoenix {Sportsmans} I had one of only three the chain had in the entire valley, and it wasnt the one I wanted, still pleased as hell with it). How do I fix this?

Thanks,

David in AZ

·
Registered
96 Posts
IMO any pistol that malfunctions that bad isnt doing its job and should be checked by Springfield or an Armorer.. in 150 rounds, 1 malfunction is too much for me, I would hate to have 8

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Just for more info:
How many round thru it?
Factory ammo or reloads (brand and bullet weight)?
Barrel length/model?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was using UMC 250 Jumbo Pack 180gr, I've only had 250 rounds through it. Meaning today was the 250th Round. The Disassemply lever has a hard time staying up to, and put a nice little scratch on my brand new finish. Other than that, what seems to me to be the problem is between certain rounds the feed somewhere between the magazine and the chamber causes the round gets caught slightly, and every shell is slightly dented after ejection. Is it a seating problem? Or possibly the spring not properly placing the round into position on time? I dont know, I hope some of you can help, and I'll certainly use Winchester 165gr Rounds and see how that works out. Please help

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Sometimes the springs in the magazines need to be broken in. Leave the mags full until you get to the range. Give it a try.....good luck

·
Registered
242 Posts
My first suspicion with a new pistol is that it needs to be very completely cleaned and then very completely lubed. That includes the magazines. My preference is silicone spray lube for magazines rather than oil.

Another possibility is a new shooter who limp wrists the gun a bit, although this seems to be related more to failures to eject than failures to feed.

You say it is the 10th round in a magazine. Do you mean it is when the magazine has already had 9 rounds shot out of it? If so, it could be magazine related and be a spring issue. Again, I would first suspect lube issues with a new magazine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fly-Sig said:
My first suspicion with a new pistol is that it needs to be very completely cleaned and then very completely lubed. That includes the magazines. My preference is silicone spray lube for magazines rather than oil.

Another possibility is a new shooter who limp wrists the gun a bit, although this seems to be related more to failures to eject than failures to feed.

You say it is the 10th round in a magazine. Do you mean it is when the magazine has already had 9 rounds shot out of it? If so, it could be magazine related and be a spring issue. Again, I would first suspect lube issues with a new magazine.
I agree this is most likely a magazine issue, i had some of that with one particular Hi-Cap, I just let it sit full for two weeks, presto no problems.
my .02

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need to polish your feed ramp. Go get some jewlers rouge, (is that how you spell it??) or some very fine fine fine sandpaper and polish the feed ramp up. I had the same exact problem with my XD40, and that fixed it right up.

Aaron

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got from the range about an hour ago, and had a similar problem. So far I've put about 350 rds through my XD40 SC and this was the only incident that happened. The slide did not move forward twice at first at about 325 rds then at around 340. I was using Independence 180gr. I'm hoping that this was a round issue and not my weapon. Other than those two incidents, this has never happened and the gun functioned properly. Any ideas on what could have gone wrong?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I think the inherent problem is the defective design of the 40 S&W round. It was made without much design work to quickly fill a police requirement for something with more punch then 9mm and less recoil then a .45 ACP. The short stubby round with a truncated cone bullet is just made to jam up against the chamber top, especially if the lip of the case catches on the edge of the chamber. I keep hearing of these problems and each case the gun is a .40 S&W caliber. It does not matter what gun, HK, Glock, SIG, S&W or CZ, the tying factor seems to be the round. My suggestion is try to use only dounds with rounded flat point, they seem to feed better. I know that does not do much in case of JHP usualy but that is the nature of the beast. I had his same problem in my XD-40, that is why I no longer use a XD-40. I am seriously thinikng of removing the caliber from my collection (only have one gun left that uses it) once and for all too. Trade that XD-40 POS in for a XD-9 and you will be much happier. I know I am. I now tend to only buy guns in the original designed caliber, that way I meet no new problems that occur when an existant design is altered to shoot something it was not designed to do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Takedown lever has a hard time staying up?

That does not sound at all normal to me. Mine stays up perfectly... and doesnt scratch anything on its way. :?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good post, Manygunner. I used to be a big fan of the .40, but that kind of went by the wayside after after I got this XD 9. Now for all the .40 people out there, this is no personal attack on your caliber of choice, I just happen to find the 9mm's I shoot to be more reliable (in general).

However, as per the original post, I really think you ought to send it back and get it checked out. If it is failing 8/150, that's what I would do. Also, maybe some different ammo. I had a Beretta 9000 in .40 that did the same thing with the more inexpensive ammo and it would only really shoot the good stuff.

In addition, the takedown lever thing alone would be cause for me to send it back. They have a lifetime warranty, might as well use it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
manygunner said:
I think the inherent problem is the defective design of the 40 S&W round. It was made without much design work to quickly fill a police requirement for something with more punch then 9mm and less recoil then a .45 ACP. The short stubby round with a truncated cone bullet is just made to jam up against the chamber top, especially if the lip of the case catches on the edge of the chamber. I keep hearing of these problems and each case the gun is a .40 S&W caliber. It does not matter what gun, HK, Glock, SIG, S&W or CZ, the tying factor seems to be the round. My suggestion is try to use only dounds with rounded flat point, they seem to feed better. I know that does not do much in case of JHP usualy but that is the nature of the beast. I had his same problem in my XD-40, that is why I no longer use a XD-40. I am seriously thinikng of removing the caliber from my collection (only have one gun left that uses it) once and for all too. Trade that XD-40 POS in for a XD-9 and you will be much happier. I know I am. I now tend to only buy guns in the original designed caliber, that way I meet no new problems that occur when an existant design is altered to shoot something it was not designed to do.
For what it's worth, when I bought my new XD-40 Service Bi Tone it would feed FMJ ammo usually without a hitch. I may have had an occasional FTF but when it came to JHP's forget it! The WWB 180 gr JHP's it wouldn't even chamber them. I tried other JHP ammo and I was getting 1 or 2 out of 10 FTF's. I sent the gun back to SA with a detailed letter explaining what the gun was doing. When I got it back in the work order they listed that the feed ramp and breech were polished, the chamber was re-radiused and I believe the slide may have been polished, anyhow the end result gave me an XD-40 that eats anything! Since then it has fed 100's of WWB FMJ's 180gr 165gr without a hitch. It has fed 100's of WWB 180gr JHP, 100's of UMC Green box JHP's and 50 Double Tap Gold Dot JHP without a hitch. When properly machined the XD-40 is an extremely reliable weapon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This sounds like the exact problem I had with my XD-357. I tried every trick in the book mentioned here and more. I guess it's on it's way to SA now, I don't know, I traded for my Glock 27 back. Just too much headache and too many complaints about the same problems I was having.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2700 rounds and ive shot almost everything but reloads and the umc junk. the only ftf was when a friend limp wristed a cci aluminum case cartridge. i think the case doesnt slide as easily as brass.

no take down lever probs, with or w/o the lasermax one. i think ya got a lemon. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't know about the .40 models... but one thing for certain, top thumb must be nowhere near to touch slide stop/release lever when firing.

My XD 45ACP Mod.2 SC made me acutely aware of such, especially when using its 13 round mag! :D

·
Read Only
1,065 Posts

.40 is not my favorite caliber, but it is the caliber of my work EDC. Shield Performance Center .40. Thousands of rounds through that gun, target and defense, never a hiccup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts