Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I'm a new member here, though I've been lurking about and reading the messages as I collected information about various handguns.

I've been looking to purchase my first general purpose target/defense/CCW gun for a while, and after much research I think I've finally settled on an XD. I do, however, have a couple of questions for the folks who have been around for a while:

1) Regarding slide finish: Does the factory "Bi-tone" style offer any actual benefit, aside from its (in my opinion limited) cosmetic value?

2) Regarding calibre: I've shot .40, .45, and various 9mm, but I've never shot .357 SIG. Is there a significant recoil difference between .357 and .40 S&W? I've heard conflicting reports. As a side note, I'm not exactly "recoil sensitive," and I'll probably be getting the .40 (largely for ease of ammunition purchase)... mostly I'm just curious.

3) Regarding concealability (sp?): Is there a significant difference in concealability between the 4" Service and 3" Subcompact models? I've been leaning toward the 4"; I'm pretty much settled on a strong-side IWB carry, though I'll (obviously) be experimenting a bit.

Thanks, all, and I'll keep you updated on my eventual purchase (should be in 2-4 weeks... got to wait on another paycheck or two...)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Welcome to the addiction.

To answer Q#1 - the bi-tone finish from the factory was actually a stainless slide. It has a couple benefits. The biggest of which is resistance to corrosion (read rust). You may have more than a little bit of a hard time finding one new though. Gunmakers accross the board have pretty much given up on stainless slides.

Q#2 - If it were going to be my only gun, I'd buy it in 357 and then save for a 9mm conversion bbl for range use. 357 ballistics are hard to beat IMO, it is just expensive to shoot, especially if you don't reload. That being said, my carry gun and my competition gun(s) are 9mm. My carry gun isn't 357 simply because they don't make the p2000 in 357(oh how I wish they did). I've never been a big fan of 40 cal. but there are many who swear by it. To me the difference between 9 and 40 is not enough to justify me losing 3-4 rounds of mag capacity.

I can't speak to 3 other than it seems it's harder to conceal the 4" simply because of the shorter grip. The bbl length doesn't make much difference. If you are the adventurous type, you can cut down the 4" grip to accept the SC mags and get a couple mag sleeves when you want to go to the range and have a full size grip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Copy that.

According to their website, at least one of my local gunshops has 12 XD40s in SS in stock at the moment. However, I'm thinking I'll probably go with the black-on-black... I just don't like the look of the Stainless.

Regarding calibre... I get the feeling that I'm going to wind up with conversion barrels for all of the others eventually anyway... I like the .357 ballistics, but the ammo is bloody expensive. I've also got a buddy that shoots .40 almost exclusively (except when he's feeding 7.62 through his AK), and it'd simplify things when we went shooting if we only had to bring along one crate of ammo.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If your not a very big guy, I think you would be better off getting the SC rather than service. I know that if I had to choose between my service and SC, I'd take the SC. They have the sleeve for the SC to make it have a full size grip(this kinda takes away from the whole concealability factor).

Grip size makes a HUGE difference when concealability is concerned(IMHO). Or if your a beast of a man, maybe it won't print so much.

Or you could get a grip reduction done on your service. With the mag sleeve,
its just the same size as a regular XD's grip. with the SC mag in it, you have less printing for CC purposes. Theres a thread on that somewhere. You gotta have some gonads to take that undertaking yourself though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh. That's... something I hadn't really considered, but now I'm curious...

For info, I'm about 5'11, and on the stocky side. My gut feeling (no pun intended) is that concealability won't be a huge issue for me, but, obviously, it'll take a bit of playing around.

I'm leaning toward the Service model, as I'm hoping to go to a Reserve Police Officer Academy some time in the near future, and I'll be able to take it along as my sidearm. Two birds with one stone, as it were.

I have this feeling that I'm going to wind up with a whole family of XDs living in my closet (and dresser, and nightstand, and coffee table...)

·
Registered
71 Posts
If your primary goal is concealment and you want it sooner than later...go for the SC...then if your like me...after you buy your first....soon..you'll be thinking about your second...then go for the service.

or visa versa

good luck!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Welcome to the world of XDs and the forum!

8)

·
Registered
268 Posts
My choice would be an XD .40 service. 357 is a good round but way to costly to shoot. .40 ammo is cheap and it does a nice job putting holes in things. you will love your XD i sure love mine. all three of them

·
Registered
190 Posts
First of all, like the rest welcome.
there are a lot of very intelligent people here, and to put in my two bits,
I have a kimber ultra ten II (It is very accurate for a 3.75 barrel)
and I also have a SA 357xd tactical 4" barrel, granted the bullets are a couple bucks more per box, but i look at it this way. 9mm just doesn't do it for me (no offense to the 9mm fans) the 40 does make a bigger hole but it starts to drop to fast for my taste, the 45 doesn't carry enough to make me happy.
So i traded a S&W 40 for my xd, (and a ruger p95 for my kimber) and have never looked back. I shoot the same groups at both 15 and 25 yards (in about a 3 in groups) you can look on line and find the ballistics if your really into stuff like that. and to make it easier, i reload my self, 9mm bullets are cheap but one MUST use a truncated bullet for the 357sig case.

and to answer your third question, i carry my xd in a galco fletch high rise.
and, the very best advice i can offer is try and find a dealer that will let you rent guns and hopefully they have a full line of xd's. try them all, and find the caliber that suites you.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I don't know... The "bigger is better" crowd like Polardaddy have their points... but I would not discount the 9mm round off hand. If you don't mind spending a little money, you can find some mighty fine 9mm rounds that will provide the power that you desire. But.. even a cheap, well placed UMC 115gr MC will drop a bad guy.. and for $30.00 for a box of 250 you can practice a lot!

I am not against the 40.. I just don't own one. I want one... but I don't regret having bought the 9mm.. She is a joy to shoot, Is envied by all, after 5,000 + rounds has never failed me. Not once.

Good luck.

Raymond

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I didn't mean to spark the age-old caliber debate either. Just for reference though, I like .357 SIG as an offensive pistol caliber, but it's prohibitively expensive for me to shoot, which is why I'll likely start with .40 and later get a .357 conversion barrel.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts