Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and would like the advice and/or opinion from the XD owners. Considering that DC residents are now allowed to exercise the second amendment, I 'd love to take advantage of that privelege. I'm considering buying an XD 40. I've looked at a couple of other (seemingly inferior) guns like the smith and wesson sigma 40ve and the smith and wesson m&p. From what I have researched the XD is a better value and better weapon. Is there a difference between the 4" service and compact version of the XD? I guess I have heard al lthe pros. What are the cons of this gun... if any at all? Thank you all!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not many cons except maybe not enough $$ to buy as much ammo as I'd like. Stay away from the Sigma. My XD9SC is the most accurate gun I've ever shot. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio...I went with the XD9 service...the biggest difference I saw between the two was the legnth of the grip being about an inch shorter on the compact...therefore a few less rounds...It depends on how big you are and how you are going to carry...I'm 6'2 250lbs and I can carry the service in an inexpensive Uncle Mike's Sidekick #15 all day comfortably IWB (In The Waistband)...Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Norfolk...the service has a 4in barrel and full sized grip while the compact is almost the same as the service, the exception being the grip length. Compact has a shorter grip for concealment. There is also a sub-compact and that is tiny, but most suited for concealment. I have an XD45 compact and it's my favorite gun!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I love my 40sc, it's been fantastic, and I carry it all the time in a Crossbreed supertuck. I also have a 4" 9. and I can't say anything bad about either. All my friends who have shot it love it, and a few now want one of their own.

Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
127,076 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome to the forum from out West!

The 45acp XDs come in a Compact that has the same barrel/slide size (4 inch barrel) as the Service but a shorter grip. The compact is a good choice for concealed carry, I carry a Compact Tactical. If you are not going to conceal carry, look at getting a Tactical model. Better sight radius, less recoil due to longer/heavier barrel, and better ballistics. The 40 and 9mm XDs come in sub compact sizes. These have 3 inch barrels and are great for concealed carry, but if you are not going to conceal carry, get a Tactical in any caliber.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I held both at the gun store and settle on XD Service. I didn't care for the compact as it didn't feel as nice in my hand. With the extended magazine, my pinky set right where the magazine sleeve and gun met and wasn't comfortable. So in my opinion it comes down to personal feel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts