Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just wanted to say hello, and to thank the input of the members on the varied subjects here. The primary reason for the thanks is for helping me prevent the loss of my first and (so far!) only XD pistol. Details follow:

I was in the market for a polymer-framed pistol, and had not wanted to be stuck with a Glock, because it didn't aim as naturally for me as the pistols I'm most accustomed to - 1911s and HPs. I had to mentally remind myself to torque my wrists downwards when aligning Glock sights, and I didn't want to do a special thing for only one piece in the armory. So, when the XD variants became available to me, I thought about the choice for a while, then elected to purchase a Tactical .40.

It was so good to handle a pistol that felt so fitted to my hand and aimed so instinctively well for me! I was thrilled to take ownership, but my heart sank when firing it, because its recoil sensation was so hard and torquey that I couldn't shoot up to my usual level with it, nor could I center groups with anything other than slow, rested fire. This was with WWB 180 and 165gr, and UMC 180gr. Not good for a pistol that I intended for possible defensive use! It wanted to rip out of my hands, no matter the grip pressure, even with rubber Decal Grips stuck on. I was so heartbroken that I placed the piece on consignment with a dealer. I REALLY didn't want to! :cry:

Then I surfed onto this board, and over several reading sessions eventually got to the threads involving recoil spring weight, and changing to heavier ones originally intended for the 1911. WOW! Next day, I recovered my XD40 from consignment (cost me $41), swapped-in the 22lb 1911 recoil spring I'd bought, and rushed into the range.

SUCCESS!! Recoil and follow-through are now easy to work with, and groups have centered-up on the aiming points. :D I now look forward to maximizing my performace with the XD, and once again, I owe the members for having taken the time to work with the pistol and for posting their findings here for me to stumble into. And I also look forward to acquiring other variants of the XD as needs or desires dictate. As this occurs, I will rely very much upon the wealth of knowledge here. I can only offer my gratitude, and my hopes that this initial post of mine hasn't been too lengthy.

Thanks very much, folks!

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you gained from the forum and have recovered your XD.
Happy shooting!!

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Welcome to the site brother. A wealth of info here.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Welcome.

We have all types here.

There is a Fat Cyclops.
A guy that wears a Shirt on his Head and Open Carries while picking up trash.
There is Delija.......the resident Liberal.
There is Masterofg3............he has a 10mm festish.
There is a Son of Norway.
A Captain and his Boss.

And many other characters!

WELCOME!

·
Registered
197 Posts
:wink: Welcome...you're gonna like it around here...I do! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the warm welcome, and in my previous reading sessions I did notice that there are many "characters" here, as well as a wealth of info on many firearm topics, SA XD and otherwise. I do not generally have lots of time for reading and posting, but from time to time I hope to make contributions here, as well as secure some XD gear through Ajames and Old School (BTW, Ajames, I like Spitfires....) :wink:

FWIW, my XD40 Tac hasn't had any rust problem to date. When I handle it, and post-firing (after cleaning), I wipe it down and patch the bore with Break-Free Collector. I also store it in the factory case, within the factory plastic baggie. Been working OK so far.

Recently scored a nice buy - I was ready to buy a couple of 12rd mags thru here, but during a tour of a local dealer, caught sight of a couple of familiar-looking mags on a shelf behind one of their counters. They turned out to be used 12-rounders produced (I believe) during the years of the AWB, as they were both marked for LE use only. They looked to be in good shape, and the tariff was $12.95 each, so I bought them. Haven't test-fired yet, but plan to do that soon. Meantime, I'll clean them out and fill them to see how easily they work, and if their springs are stiff will leave them filled for a short while, as a CS rep at SA recommended to me. Nothing wrong with having lots of mags, so I still intend to purchase more from Ajames or Old School.

Now, to contemplate which XD variant to acquire next. Maybe an OD-frame 9mm Tac, a .40 Service, or a 9mm SC for when I get my FL non-resident CCW.......

Ah, such problems. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts