Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased an XD 9 Serivce model today with intentions of taking a beginner hand gun course and eventually entering into competitions.

Ive heard snap caps are a great practice tool. How exactly are they used?

Just thought I'd stop in and say hi. This forum and the way the gun felt in my hands helped me make my decision.

thanks
rich

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well snap caps are a plastic piece that is the same shape as the regular bullets that feed in your gun except they obviously cannot actually fire. The portion that the striker hits in the snap cap is actually a spring loaded piece of brass. So you will see the indention that the striker puts in the brass but you dont risk damaging the striker, like on a fixed piece of brass. Anyway, welcome to the board and good luck with the new xd.

·
Registered
218 Posts
some people load snap caps into their mags mixed in with live rounds to train themselves not to compensate and anticipate recoil. if you're pulling your shots it might be a usefull tool....for a striker fired pistol like the XD you wont harm your weapon by dry firing it. some weapons arent supposed to be dry fired and people get snap caps in order to de-cock the weapon without doing damage.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Welcome aboard!

If you use snap caps in an XD to dry fire, save yourself some effort. The slide only needs to be retracted about 1/4 inch to reset the striker/trigger assembly. That way you won't have to keep reloading the magazine and doing a full hand cycle for each "shot".

·
Registered
52 Posts
another good use for the snap caps is teaching/practicing loading mags, racking, etc.... they worked well when I was teaching my wife the mechanics of the gun, could look at what was going on much more safely.

welcome to the board!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might want to consider spending the few extra bucks for the aluminum ones filled with lead. They feel more like a real round and don't get hung up as much as the light plastic ones do.

I use these from Traditions:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=ASMA9

Had to "break in" a few of them though... I think I had 2 out of twelve that I had to smoothe out. I bought 2 six packs from Bass Pro Shops...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies, really appreciate them.

In one week i get to take my beginner course at the local range. I'll let the forum know how i do than.

thanks
rich

my local range sells the snap caps for the same price listed on the website for the aluminum snap caps, Is my range high?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I just purchased an XD-9 Service. I reload all my own ammo and cast my own bullets. I shoot as much as I can...
practice makes perfect:))

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. . . enjoy!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I still love my XD9. Have almost 3K rounds through it. I shoot it once to twice a month in competitions. It is great.

Get out and shoot it. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I still love my XD9. Have almost 3K rounds through it. I shoot it once to twice a month in competitions. It is great.

Get out and shoot it. You won't be disappointed.
I have about 300 rds through mine. I put all 16 rds through a 3 '' hole at 15 yards. My favorite load is a 125 gr LRN (Lee mold) pushed by 4.1 gr W231. I'm honestly thing of trading-in my G19 Gen 3 and purchasing an XD-45.

I just ordered a PRP drop in trigger for the XD-9. However, once you get use to the stock SD trigger... you can get good combat groups.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Good luck. I am not a fan of snap caps, but they can be an effective training tool.

I have heard both ways on dry firing. Personally, I don't risk it and just don't do it. Live rounds are simply more fun - but I also have a private shooting range.

Congrats on the new gun.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you want to be a better pistol shooter... practice...practice...practice. That's the main reason I reload and cast my own bullets.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you want to be a better pistol shooter... practice...practice...practice. That's the main reason I reload and cast my own bullets.
I dry fire my xd9 all day long. Really helped break in the trigger and eliminate some of the squishieness. I actually prefer a little bit of take up on the reset since I shoot revolvers better than semi autos. Sometimes when I get paranoid because I'm dry firing alot I'll throw in an azoom snap cap. I also dry fired the deep out of it before my first range outing and it had me shooting much more accurately than I expected just because of the fact that I already knew what to expect with the trigger and reset.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
My XD trigger def did change after a couple thousand rounds. I like it stock.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Purchased an XD 9 Serivce model today with intentions of taking a beginner hand gun course and eventually entering into competitions.

Ive heard snap caps are a great practice tool. How exactly are they used?

Just thought I'd stop in and say hi. This forum and the way the gun felt in my hands helped me make my decision.

thanks
rich
Good thinking in taking some training.8) Shoot that gun as much as you can. I think I may be pushing 5K-6K through my XD45c without any issues. I've stopped counting! Although I think it may get some TLC this Christmas in the form of some upgrades.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I noticed a trigger improvement after a few range sessions. The best add-on was the drop-in PRP trigger!!! The more I shoot the XD-9... the better I become at removing the center of the paper target!!

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Welcome aboard!

If you use snap caps in an XD to dry fire, save yourself some effort. The slide only needs to be retracted about 1/4 inch to reset the striker/trigger assembly. That way you won't have to keep reloading the magazine and doing a full hand cycle for each "shot".
Don't teach him that, pull the slide back all the way and let it drop freely. Get in the habit of short stroking it and you will do it when it matters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts