Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone this is my first venture into the long gun category after purchasing my first 2 handguns in the past 2 months. You can kinda of say I've been bitten by the "bug" and I purchased my first rifle, a Ruger 10/22.

My question is to all the small rifle owners, what type of bag do you use to carry around your Ruger 10/22 or similar sized rifles to the range. I am looking for something that isn't way too big. I already have to carry a bag full of ammo/gear and 2 pistols. I still have a bit of room in my range bag to carry the magazines and ammo for the 10/22 so I dont need more more storage. Any suggestions and/or pictures of what you use would be great. It would give me a good idea of what to start looking for at the store.

Marc

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
Just a basic, inexpensive, soft-side nylon rifle case in an appropriate length from your choice of retailers. Unless you're an "operator" or frequently find yourself transporting weapons across national borders I say go cheap. The less you spend on cases that you won't use much, the more you can spend on the toys themselves.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Check out the rifle cases on MidwayUSA, they usually have a pretty good collection. They go on and off sale every few months, so don't pay full price, wait until a sale comes around.
Or just go to the local gun store and check some out. Like Dan said, no need to spend a ton of money on one.

Congrats on the purchase! 10/22 is a super fun rifle, and cheap to feed. If you get bored, you can customize it to your heart's content too.

·
Registered
895 Posts
def check out midway they have a good selection. i also have a ruger 10/22 with tapco stock, however i keep it in a basic hard clam shell style case. midways also has tons of parts for the ruger 10/22.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These go on sale from time to time for about $20 MidwayUSA Tactical Rifle Gun Case with 6 Pocket
Thanks guys!! I agree with not spending a bunch. My current range bag is a Midway Compact Range Bag and I love it. For those that have midway rifle bags, any problem with fit if your rifle has a scope? It's hard for me to measure because I don't have the scope or rifle yet (California 10 day wait).

·
Registered
892 Posts
Midway makes great stuff, I bought their big range bag and I am very happy with. Congrats on the 10/22, it is a great gun. I bought mine about 6 year ago and replaced everything on it except for the receiver. And pretty much all the replacement parts came from Midway. I think I have about $800 stuck into it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Something to think about Marc... Once you have ONE rifle, you will proably want TWO in a couple of months ;). My case was purchased at Cabela's for $35 and will hold 2 scoped rifles. I currently use it for my shotgun and Hi-Point... PLUS you can lock it with up to 3 padlocks (each end + middle). May cost a little more but gives you to room to expand :p

Measures 51"L x 15"W(middle) / 12"W (ends) x 5"H (approx)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I got my soft case from Rugers website.... as you can see, I have a larger aftermarket stock and a scope, no problems with it fitting (I think mines the 48 inch one) but there isnt much room left over top to bottom, length is fine and I can even fit my tri-mag right behind the butt and store it there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Midway makes great stuff, I bought their big range bag and I am very happy with. Congrats on the 10/22, it is a great gun. I bought mine about 6 year ago and replaced everything on it except for the receiver. And pretty much all the replacement parts came from Midway. I think I have about $800 stuck into it.
I agree with you on the the Midway stuff. I've been reading about all the things you can do to the 10/22. Sometimes I have to catch myself from wanting to click "buy" on upgrades. I think right now I'll focus on buying magazines and ammo. I plan on making this a long term project....hopefully LOL

BTW any pics of the 10/22?

Something to think about Marc... Once you have ONE rifle, you will proably want TWO in a couple of months ;). My case was purchased at Cabela's for $35 and will hold 2 scoped rifles. I currently use it for my shotgun and Hi-Point... PLUS you can lock it with up to 3 padlocks (each end + middle). May cost a little more but gives you to room to expand :p
Measures 51"L x 15"W(middle) / 12"W (ends) x 5"H (approx)
You're probably right, I purchased my first pistol 3 months ago (XD45). On the day that my 30 wait between guns was up (good ol' California), I purchased another (XD 9). Then a tad over a month later I just purchased the 10/22. I'll have to take a look at hard cases too, guess that I am afraid of is total weight.

I got my soft case from Rugers website.... as you can see, I have a larger aftermarket stock and a scope, no problems with it fitting (I think mines the 48 inch one) but there isnt much room left over top to bottom, length is fine and I can even fit my tri-mag right behind the butt and store it there.

Awesome looking 10/22. Thanks for giving me an idea on the length. Hard to visual without the rifle in hand. I want to make sure I have a case for it when it comes. How do you like the Tri-mag? I thought about picking one of those up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts