Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently become dedicated to a prepper/survivalist lifestyle. The more I learn and do the more I realize it truly is a LIFESTYLE. Not just a hobby or something to do in ones spare time. It is something I think about all the time, and I find that it affects all applications of most everything I do.
The more I am learning the more I realize how little I truly know and how ill prepared I am ( as a person going through life with no thought to how to survive without the grocery store and water foccet ect..) . Just starting to get into this lifestyle is a little intimidating. I want to network with local people who can share some insight and possibly do some training with. But being new to all this I don't know where to start. I would like to get in touch with quality people, not quantity.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And any helpful tips, info sources, good reading material, will also be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I truly believe when or if the worst ever does happen then none of us will really be prepared. It will be beyond our imaginations. People that think they will be safe in the woods will find thousands of people had the same belief. There will be nowhere to run for safety and more than likely no gas to drive there. It will be dog eat dog scenario no matter where you are. Whatever you have someone else will try taking it from you.
After seeing first hand major evacuation of Houston I will just stay put. I feel I will have a better chance at home than on the road out of gas. People become no better than animals when left with nothing.
Best to not let anyone know you are a prepper.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
Prepping is at its core being self sufficient.

If you cant produce your own food, you are dependent upon those that can produce it. If you cant defend yourself, you are dependent on those that can defend you. If you don't have your own source of drinkable water, you are dependent on those that fill the pipes. You need enough food water and security to see you through a short term shortage, or to last you long enough to adapt to a new world.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Survivalist Forum Survival Gear SHTF and TEOTWAWKI Articles

Don't get overwhelmed, and don't just go buy 100 lbs worth of rice and beans. Also, don't think you need to max out the credit card (financial prepping is very important!) on guns and ammo. Simply start with the basics and build from there.

Start to build a 72 hours kit for the house to sustain you (water and food). Then keep building for longer terms worth of food that you actually enjoy and rotate it as you use it.

Make a bugout bag. It doesn't need to be sexy, just something to get out of the house faster and easier than running around like crazy if say a hurricane is coming.

Don't panic, and bring a towel.

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
Don't overlook medications, vitamins, and first aid supplies.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i started to get in over my head and found out it was never ending. ive slowed down lately. it can be over whelming. it IS a lifestyle, that takes a lot of time money and effort. and if your wife/GF isnt on board, it can be even tougher.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in coastal N.C.. We have been hit by bad hurricanes here multiple times and after Floyd the entire area was flooded and cut off. There were no land routes open to my town for 2 weeks. Luckily I live near 2 Major marine corp stations so we were not truly cut off. That being said, and after seeing the almost instant break down of societies structure after katrina I think prepping and learning to become self reliant is very prudent. N.C. is right in the firing line for many atlantic hurricanes and we all saw with katrina that police/goverment cant and wont help you for some time after a major disastor.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Prepare, but live your life. Take your family on vacations, go for drives on the weekend, spend your money on something non prep related that you enjoy.

We still live in very good times and if you don't enjoy it now you'll regret it later.

·
Registered
751 Posts
nitro pak
adventure medical
honeyville Farms
Dark Angle medical
Oregon Trail Foods

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Decide if you are a loner or a joiner.
If you think the answer to a disaster is organization/government, volunteer at your local Red Cross. You will get a fantastic education on how charities, agencies and governments work (or do not work) to help people out.

If you are a loner, there are prepper forums, books, and all kinds of vendors waiting to take your money on that essential $300 zombie machete and more. Go slow, get educated. But enjoy life too. You only get one chance at living.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
Prepare, but live your life. Take your family on vacations, go for drives on the weekend, spend your money on something non prep related that you enjoy.

We still live in very good times and if you don't enjoy it now you'll regret it later.
no reason you can't merge prepping and vacations. just getting ready for a camping trip to the mountains is more prepping than 99% of the population does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts