Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit it, I panicked. I bought a XD M Elite in 9 mm because I was concerned about the availability of pistols with 20 round magazines in the near future. I never owned a polymer gun before, being more of a 1911 guy. But, damn! This thing is just too much fun! I haven't been this happy with a new gun purchase since I got my long sought after Belgium Browning Auto 5 shotgun.

Oh, since this is an introductory post, I guess I should add that I'm located in SE Michigan an hour or so north of Detroit. Returned to shooting a few years ago after too long of a layoff because, well, life happens. With very few exceptions, all of my current firearms have some sort of historical significance; the aforementioned 1911s, a Model 1897 Winchester, a three screw Ruger Blackhawk, a Lee Enfield Mk 4 No. 1 etc.

Still can't get over how much fun this XD M is!

·
21,874 Posts
Welcome from AZ

Reactions: Fairbanks007

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk... and the plastic revolution.
I jumped-in about 6 yrs ago. Had 0 use for "cheap" striker-fired plasti-guns... l had my 1911s, SiGs, Berettas, CZs, etc. After my (now) ex-wife stole all of my guns, l got rid of her and started rebuilding my modest stable.

First up was a leap into the Springfield Armory pool with a 4.5" XDM... I'd never even heard of an XDM before, but l kind of loved it.

Still have it, and even added another one.

Plasti-guns have come a long way in the last decade or so in regards to quality, trigger, reliability, etc. I've bought (and sold) a couple dozen of em from SA, Walther, HK, S&W, while still maintaining my affinity for all-metal, hammer-fired heaters.

And still 0 Glocks... but I'm weakening.

·
15,912 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk... and the plastic revolution.
I jumped-in about 6 yrs ago. Had 0 use for "cheap" striker-fired plasti-guns... l had my 1911s, SiGs, Berettas, CZs, etc. After my (now) ex-wife stole all of my guns, l got rid of her and started rebuilding my modest stable.

First up was a leap into the Springfield Armory pool with a 4.5" XDM... I'd never even heard of an XDM before, but l kind of loved it.

Still have it, and even added another one.

Plasti-guns have come a long way in the last decade or so in regards to quality, trigger, reliability, etc. I've bought (and sold) a couple dozen of em from SA, Walther, HK, S&W, while still maintaining my affinity for all-metal, hammer-fired heaters.

And still 0 Glocks... but I'm weakening.
DON'T DO IT! Not you JY...

Reactions: Jonnyuma

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
DON'T DO IT! Not you JY...
I was close... the Chinese saved me by releasing the Kraken of panic-buying onto America and making most guns unobtainium for the time being... or at least hopelessly inflated price-wise.

I got over it... mostly. There's a G19 for sale locally that has my attention. Maybe the Yellowstone volcano-thing will happen before l take the leap...

Reactions: Powerman

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
So, now is the time to buy extra/additional magazines, too.

Mags, ammo, a good holster, etc.

Ammo, where/when you can find it.

Seriously think about learning to reload if you don't already. Then start working on good loads (reliable and accurate) and buy components to use now and later.

One more piece of advice, when you start reloading, don't wait till you need something to buy it, buy it when you see a good deal. The components don't go bad. I've used powder and primers that were right at 25 years old. Using up shotgun powder (for pistols) now that my dad bought when it was $10 a lb. $32 for a 4 lb. can, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Howdy, from Texas.

The only all metal handguns I'll acquire anymore are revolvers.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Welcome, from a fellow Michigander about an hour north of you. Good luck finding food for the new gun. But when you do, enjoy the hell out of it. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only all metal handguns I'll acquire anymore are revolvers.
I won't go that far. The XD-M is accurate, reliable and fun to shoot, but I don't feel the same connection to it as I do to my 1911s or my Blackhawk. They feel like a piece of art in my hands and the XD-M feels like a tool, a well designed and efficient too, but still just a tool.

·
21,874 Posts
There is a downside but can be easily prevent with Tupperware guns.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What the heck happened there?! It looks like a dog used it as a chew toy.

Full disclosure: I've already managed to break the mag well on my XD-M while trying the different back straps. I didn't realize the mag well had to be removed first and it snapped when I tried to lift the back strap out. Kinda surprised how little force it took to break it. Learning curve...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seriously think about learning to reload if you don't already. Then start working on good loads (reliable and accurate) and buy components to use now and later.

One more piece of advice, when you start reloading, don't wait till you need something to buy it, buy it when you see a good deal. The components don't go bad. I've used powder and primers that were right at 25 years old. Using up shotgun powder (for pistols) now that my dad bought when it was $10 a lb. $32 for a 4 lb. can, etc.
I wish I'd heeded this advice about a year ago. Like I said, I was out of shooting for many years during which time I married a woman who was raised by English parents in Massachusetts and was staunchly anti-gun. It took me a while to get her to accept my return to shooting and the idea of having powder, primers etc. in the house was too big a leap for her to make at once.

Fast forward to late 2020 and she enjoys shooting (especially my .45 ACP Government) and is enough of a realist to understand that reloading is a no-brainer given the current insanity of ammo prices. Unfortunately, now that she's OK with it reloading components are scarce. I work right across the river from Windsor, Canada where primers are apparently readily available but I can't cross the border to get them and they won't ship internationally.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Might you recommend a forum on the topic of reloading?
Thanks.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
217 Posts
Hi,

I'll admit it, I panicked. I bought a XD M Elite in 9 mm because I was concerned about the availability of pistols with 20 round magazines in the near future. I never owned a polymer gun before, being more of a 1911 guy. But, damn! This thing is just too much fun! I haven't been this happy with a new gun purchase since I got my long sought after Belgium Browning Auto 5 shotgun.

Oh, since this is an introductory post, I guess I should add that I'm located in SE Michigan an hour or so north of Detroit. Returned to shooting a few years ago after too long of a layoff because, well, life happens. With very few exceptions, all of my current firearms have some sort of historical significance; the aforementioned 1911s, a Model 1897 Winchester, a three screw Ruger Blackhawk, a Lee Enfield Mk 4 No. 1 etc.

Still can't get over how much fun this XD M is!
I'm just an old noob but I share your excitement for my XD pistol. Here's a shy wave. 🙋‍♂️

These are tough pistols. I've already had to punch a squib bullet out of the barrel and knock off a stuck slide with a rubber mallet. Welcome to the XD universe. I'm having fun here, going on about all my noob adventures. I'm sure you'll like it here too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Tried to PM you Zach, but the message was apparently too long for the system.

The CZ Forum (The Original CZ Forum - Index) has lots of good discussions and experienced people willing to advise/help with reloading. One of the moderators posts (in the help threads) very good diagrams/pictures of what can cause problems, what kinds of details are needed to help diagnose problems/suggest fixes.

And AR15.com (Discussion Forum Community Information And Statistics - AR15.COM) can also have some pretty good discussions in the technical forums on reloading. Lots of BS in the general forum though, if you go there be prepared for bashing/BS vs. good usable info. Just stay in the technical forums and the moderators will shut down any attempts to give people a hard time for legitimate questions/problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tried to PM you Zach, but the message was apparently too long for the system.

The CZ Forum (The Original CZ Forum - Index) has lots of good discussions and experienced people willing to advise/help with reloading. One of the moderators posts (in the help threads) very good diagrams/pictures of what can cause problems, what kinds of details are needed to help diagnose problems/suggest fixes.
Thanks, I'll give it a look. I'm hesitant to try to get into reloading (now) as I'm guessing the components will go high-priced out of sight, the same as factory ammo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

And AR15.com (Discussion Forum Community Information And Statistics - AR15.COM) can also have some pretty good discussions in the technical forums on reloading. Lots of BS in the general forum though, if you go there be prepared for bashing/BS vs. good usable info. Just stay in the technical forums and the moderators will shut down any attempts to give people a hard time for legitimate questions/problems.
Thanks for sharing this resource. Much appreciated!

Thanks, I'll give it a look. I'm hesitant to try to get into reloading (now) as I'm guessing the components will go high-priced out of sight, the same as factory ammo.
I understand your reluctance. When 9mm was 18 cents and .45 ACP was 26 cents per round delivered it didn't seem like a good use of the limited time I have to engage in shooting to be spending it down in the basement with a single stage press cranking out one round at a time. Now that 9mm is over 60 cents per round (if you can find it) I've had to rethink my position. I'm regularly shooting 700 to 800 rounds per month of either 9mm or .45 ACP and my last name ain't Gates or Bezos. These crazy ammo prices don't look to be going away any time soon and I'm not interested in curtailing my shooting.

My buddy and I bought a single stage press to learn reloading basics on and plan to upgrade to a multistage when we're more experienced. A lot of places we looked were out of stock on the best reviewed presses but we eventually found what we were looking for. Our biggest issue now is not being able to locate small pistol primers.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I am looking at my ammo supply and I remember that I won't buy reloads and even if I did I can't use them at my training course as they are terribly gunshy of reloads. If I could prove to myself that I would not overcharge or undercharge a round, then maybe. If I only shoot 2 rounds a month for the next three years I will have a goodly reserve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts