Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Delta 1" x 30" belt sander and I have ordered 400 grit and 800 grit Aluminum oxide sanding belts. I already have 200 grit belts and a few others. My intentions are to sharpen the kitchen knives and eventually the families older corn knives, hatchets and axes. Any words of wisdom or rules of thumb such as the correct angle (degree) to sharpen the kitchen knives. Eventually I will get around to reading all of the threads on the Cold Steel forum. XDtalk really covers lots of interests.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

This is what I use. Perhaps you can glean from the video the angles, speed and such to use freehand on your setup, though, to each their own, I would not want to sharpen knives without these bevel guides.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Not sure a belt sander is the best way to sharpen knives. I would recommend a good oil stone or wet stone. The diamond stones work pretty well too. For axes and hatchets, about a 30 degree angle on the belt sander would be okay, or you can even use a flat file.

The kitchen knives are sharpened at a flatter angle, around 15-17 degrees. For hunting knives and utility knives, an angle of 20-22 degrees is better.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

This is what I use. Perhaps you can glean from the video the angles, speed and such to use freehand on your setup, though, to each their own, I would not want to sharpen knives without these bevel guides.
I use this as well. It is very quick but keeps the correct angles. OP I would look into either building or buying some kind of jig to hold your knives at the correct angles. My uncle sharpens his knives with a bench grinder running sharpening wheels rather than regular grinding stones. He can produce sharp knives but the bevels are not consistent. This is the key to producing consistently sharp knives without wearing the blades out quickly from the sharpening process

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I have been using a system called "warthog". Its a fixture mechanism that sharpens both blade sides with the stroke of the blade between the diamond straps. Actually works okay but abit pricey for what results I get. It does hold sharpening angles so there is consistency when re-sharpening.

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
You can even use the un-glazed lip of a coffee cup bottom to polish the cutting blade of a knife

A buddy of mine sent me a knife, spent hours sharpening it...I have never seen the cutting edge of a knife mirror finish before...it is the absolute sharpest knife I own, normal stone sharpening leaves microscopic teeth that break off dulling the blade, but polishing on a strop w/ some polishing compound after you develop the blade edge with a stone is where the sharpness comes thru

It's an ugly thing, but is my EDC (bump the quick open and a flick of the wrist and kerkhunk...it's open)

Here is what he posted about it
This is an ontario Utilitac2
I converted it from a full spacer to stand off’s, acid etched the blade, polished the liners, wave modded it, converted it to take a benchmade deep carry clip (don’t remember what all that took, I think all I had to do was use new screws but I may have had to drill/tap it). I also polished the mating surfaces and swapped out the stock washers for PB (the heavy blade along with the polish job and new washers makes this the smoothest budget knife I’d ever handled). I also gave one to my cousin for his bday last year who had EDC’s a benchmade 9100 for 5+ years and he said at first he was hesitant to replace his BM with a $23 knife but within a few weeks the auto Stryker was in his safe and he only carries the utac.

Personally I hate tanto’s so I also sharpened it following an arc instead of at the 2 converging angles @ 20DPS.

They’re designed by Joe Pardue, the same dude that does designs for BM (and other companies). There are like 6-8 different factory config’s, things like coffin vs round handles and blade shape/color choices. Don’t have a link but you can pick them up for $23 shipped from US sellers.
I found me an old leather belt my wife was throwing out...gotta get me some jewelers rouge and will start stropping my knives...make em literally "razor" sharp

There are TONS of howto's on youtube

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
You can even use the un-glazed lip of a coffee cup bottom to polish the cutting blade of a knife

A buddy of mine sent me a knife, spent hours sharpening it...I have never seen the cutting edge of a knife mirror finish before...it is the absolute sharpest knife I own, normal stone sharpening leaves microscopic teeth that break off dulling the blade, but polishing on a strop w/ some polishing compound after you develop the blade edge with a stone is where the sharpness comes thru

It's an ugly thing, but is my EDC (bump the quick open and a flick of the wrist and kerkhunk...it's open)

Here is what he posted about it

I found me an old leather belt my wife was throwing out...gotta get me some jewelers rouge and will start stropping my knives...make em literally "razor" sharp

There are TONS of howto's on youtube
I would love to learn how to use a belt. thanks for the idea. I never thought about it till now

sent from the german sheperd next to me

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use this as well. It is very quick but keeps the correct angles. OP I would look into either building or buying some kind of jig to hold your knives at the correct angles. My uncle sharpens his knives with a bench grinder running sharpening wheels rather than regular grinding stones. He can produce sharp knives but the bevels are not consistent. This is the key to producing consistently sharp knives without wearing the blades out quickly from the sharpening process
That's my plan. Build (cut) wooden jigs at approx' 17, 21 and 30 degree angles. The Work Shop knife sharpener is impressive and would be nice to take to the OBX in N.C. for the filet and bait knives.

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
Just came across these in case anyone interested

A really fast/cheap way to get whatever grit "stone" you want...plus it's replaceable!
DIY Knife sharpening kit

Then build a knife sharpening angle jig for the above stones (they will all be the same lenght)
Make a Sharpening System with A Sharpening Stone and Sharpen Knives

To pick the best angle for your needs on what type of cutting you will be doing, whether it be for utility or kitchen or filet
Tips for Selecting the Right Bevel Angle

Me and my kids have been stropping our knives, got an old leather belt and some of the green polishing compound from harbor freight...our blades can slice a sheet of paper with just swiping the blade against it! Mirror finish on the cutting edge makes em razor sharp!

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I used the WorkSharp for the first time over the holidays. WOW! I was carving a piece of paper afterwards. It is well worth the money and takes less time than using a stone. With the different guides, it makes it super easy to do.

One thing I noted was the grit with the WorkSharp and the grits you mentioned. I never used the 80 grit it comes with, I did use the 220 grit to kind of form my edge after being in really bad shape. Then I used the 6,000 grit to hone the blade and really do the sharpening. You might want to see if you can get some belts similar to this for the real sharpening. FYI- I went through more of the 6,000 grit belts than the others, so I would order 2x as many of these as the others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts