Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Shot my first IDPA match today! Had a great time and plan to become very active in these shoots. I have an XDM 5.25 9mm. Was looking for recommendations to add some "goodies". I put a hogue slip on last night before the shoot and it served me well. Was thinking of a mag-well, trigger, holster ect...

Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
send it to Rich at Canyon Creek, or Scott at Springer Precision, or Daniel at Powder River Precision
tell them you want the kitchen sink, but still legal for IDPA (have you played USPSA yet?)

If you're trying to keep spending low, trigger from PRP is the most important, and cost-effective upgrade, imo

·
Registered
543 Posts
Rich at Canyon Creek did the trigger on my XD 40 Tactical. Very happy with his work. Put a PRP ultimate match trigger in my XDm 9 5.25 and that's good too.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Depends on what div you shoot. If SSP, you can ad grip tape, have a trigger job, change sights, but you can NOT change the trigger or any of the other controls. If ESP, then change what you like; grip shape, trigger, mag well extension, extended controls, pretty much what ever you want.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Like Fredj said, it depends on the division you plan to shoot. You have more flexibility in ESP.

If you plan to shoot SSP, the trigger kits from Powder River Precision are not legal because they change the trigger itself. For SSP, you can have one of the companies do a trigger job, or go with the Springer Precision trigger kit. My ESP pistols use the PRP kits that I installed myself. They are easy to install and work great. I have a couple pistols with the Springer Precision trigger job. Both kits are great and you will be happy. But I really like the PRP Extreme kits.

Be careful about magazine extensions on the XDMs. The current rules outlaw all of the available extended releases that I have found. That includes the 0.1 extensions that were legal previously.

·
Registered
179 Posts
get a PRP drop in trigger and a SS guide rod, extended mag release if you need it, and drive on from there. Just be sure to do a "freezer test" on the trigger install.
JD

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The PRP drop in trigger is only legal in ESP and not SSP. The extended mag release is currently not legal in IDPA at all.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The PRP drop in trigger is only legal in ESP and not SSP. The extended mag release is currently not legal in IDPA at all.

Actually, in ESP, extended mag release is legal with the restriction that it not protrude more than 0.20" from the frame (sec 8.2.2.2.1). I don't like them on any gun, seen far too many mags hit the dirt unintentionally, especially shooting weak hand.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Yes, but the way that the xdm is built, even the .1 extended release from PRP or Springer is illegal. There is hope they Fix this in the next update.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yes, but the way that the xdm is built, even the .1 extended release from PRP or Springer is illegal. There is hope they Fix this in the next update.

Sounds like an interpretation issue. If the mag release is not oversized, whatever that is, & extends less than 0.20", then it should be legal. When ever you allow an md to interpret the rules, there will be issues.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Not really an MD interpretation issue. Check the latest classifications. If it extends more than .2 then it is illegal. But even the PRP .1 extension results in the magazine release being extended over .2. There was a lot of discussion on the IDPA Facebook page and the forums. I went back to stock until resolved.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Not really an MD interpretation issue. Check the latest classifications. If it extends more than .2 then it is illegal. But even the PRP .1 extension results in the magazine release being extended over .2. There was a lot of discussion on the IDPA Facebook page and the forums. I went back to stock until resolved.

So you are saying the XDM stock mag release extends more than 0.20", then it is indeed not legal, even though it comes from the factory that way. SInce I can't get hold of an XDM out here, haven't seen one up close.

·
Registered
179 Posts
in reality, the wife an I have 2 XDM 5.25's with extended mag releases. I had to take both to my local gunsmith, (he has a machine shop) and have him trim oh I don't know, maybe .025 or so off each to be sure we didn't get DQ'ed by an equipment Nazi for the ".2" from the frame rule". Bottom line is that after buying the 2 for $30.00 ea. and spending $20.00 ea for the machine work, we now have mag releases that are only MARGINALLY better than the one the gun came with, for $50.00 ea.
I've been over this adnausem on the IDPA forum and I still don't understand why we can have interchangable backstraps to help fit the gun to the operators hand, but we're not allowed to fit the mag release to the operators thumb.
On top of that, where the measurement is taken from results in a different "real projection" depending on the contour/design of the manufacturer of the firearm.
Off my soapbox again. For now.
JD

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The problem in any sport with rules is some gummby will always try to bend them. The idea in Idpa was to keep it as close to real world fighting tools, not gamer guns & gear. That is the land of uspsa, & many choose that because they don't like the Idpa rules. Maybe springfikd was looking more at the upsa crowd vs Idpa. So you fix it or shoot a diff gun/class.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The 2013 rule book changes allow the XDm to compete in SSP now.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but when I used to shoot IDPA the XDm was classed ESP from the factory. Has that changed?
Same for the xd tac, now SSP if it is stock, no PRP trigger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm looking to get into IDPA SSP with my XD9 Service. I've spend the past several days trying to confirm the rules but have not been able to find anything definitive. Can I or can I not use a PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit? Or how about a Springer kit?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The Springer kit is legal, but unfortunately the PRP kit is not SSP legal because it changed the trigger.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts