Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few rifles but I am in the market for a handgun that will mainly be used for home protection and traveling in car, hotels, etc. Any thoughts/opinions as to which manufacturers/pistols are best? I am considering Kimber's Pro Carry, XDm .40 or 9mm, Ruger SR9, or Glock 19. Please advise. Any other considerations would be helpful. Thanks, first post by the way, please be kind.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Can't go wrong with the XDm or the Glock...shoot em all before you make a decision to purchase...just don't buy a gun blind on what someone tells you on a forum...you need to "test drive" it first to see what you like...

Hope that helps...

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I have a few rifles but I am in the market for a handgun that will mainly be used for home protection and traveling in car, hotels, etc. Any thoughts/opinions as to which manufacturers/pistols are best? I am considering Kimber's Pro Carry, XDm .40 or 9mm, Ruger SR9, or Glock 19. Please advise. Any other considerations would be helpful. Thanks, first post by the way, please be kind.
I'm guessing you'll get a lot of people here on XDTalk who think XDs are pretty good.

When I bought my first handgun in May, I looked at Glocks and XDs. When you stack up the features of the XD--safeties, field strip easily, fully supported chamber, chamber indicator, cocked indicator--it quite easily outstrips the Glocks, IMO.

And when you add in the 20,000-round torture test, HERE, if you're like me you'll realize you have the perfect SHTF gun, that can run under adverse conditions, that is easily cared for, that offers more bang for less buck than the Glock.

I can't speak to the other brands you mention, so comparisons there are impossible. All I can say is when I add a second handgun to my collection, it's going to be an XD. I don't see any reason to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, some people are bashing on the kimber's. I wouldn't have guessed. but anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will definitely "test drive" before I buy.

·
Premium Member
127,897 Posts
My home defense handgun is an XD45 Service with an M6 laser/light combo.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I looked at the Glock and the XD before buying the XD9 Service. The Kimber 1911 is kind of "out there" as a first gun and classed with the other guns. Try both the Glock and the XD, see which one fits your hand better. I thought that it'd be a huge difference and I know right away but I didn't. I just decided I liked the grip safety and the ability to get the gun in Bitone. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would say either the XD or the Kimber. I think those have the best history behind them. If it's your first handgun I would recommend the XD simply because you can use and abuse it and it'll keep shooting. But Kimbers are oh so sweet :D

·
Premium Member
127,897 Posts
By the way, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The SR9 doesn't look like a bad gun, but it's fairly new to the market and you won't find the aftermarket (holsters particularly) support you'd find for the Glock or XD...also, I haven't seen any endurance tests on it yet, while the Glocks and XDs have had them done.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I have a Ruger P95 (9mm) and absolutely LOVE this gun. It is a little big for concealed carry, but if you just want to keep it at home for a SD weapon I recommend it. Shoots awesome right out of the box and eats anything you feed it.

I have an XD9sc that I just picked up and hopefully will use it for winter carry. For warmer weather I carry a Ruger LCP which is a .380. If you want opinions on comparisons from the .380 up to the .45 please do a search. You will find pros and cons for all the calibers. The LCP is a great pocket gun and VERY easy to conceal. I can't comment on the SR9.

As it was said earlier, go the range, rent and shoot different guns & calibers. See what fits your hand and what you can shoot with confidence. A gun purchase isn't a quick decision if it's your first handgun.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I'd recommend XDs and Sigs...

For the money, XD would be the one to go to.

I love my LCP, but it wouldn't be a good choice for a first pistol..;)

And welcome to the forum TNMAN..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Your skill is more important than gun choice, beyond a base reliability and minimum power, for your intended defense purpose.

I've got both an XD9 Service and a Pro Carry II in .45. I'd say go with the XD if it feels better between the two. My rationale is it's simpler, and with the price differential, you'll be able to practice more and get proficient and confident. I think it will be easier to learn to shoot well with the XD.

My Pro Carry II is about 6 years old, so may not be a reflection of current production. It's always been highly reliable and accurate with FMJ and Remington Gold Sabers. It needed some ramp polish and throating to be consistent with lead semi-wadcutters.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
If you are unfamiliar with semi auto pistols, I would tend to not recommend the Kimber - 1911 style. Nothing wrong with it, just takes more practice and skill to use. I have and shoot a 1911 Colt Commander, a Glock 23, 27 & 38 plus a Springfield XD45. I agree with TexasXD40. Try and shot each pistol, then chose. It is a important decision. And above all, practice with which ever pistol you buy. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Definitely try to field strip each one. The XD has got to be the easiest to do. Glock's are not too bad, but Kimber's are a PITA. I will never own another Kimber just because of how hard it is to fields strip.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The XD is a terrific firearm. But I have to admit that my primary carry pistol is a Glock 23. I won't say any more because I'm heading for cover.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
...shoot em all before you make a decision to purchase...just don't buy a gun blind on what someone tells you on a forum...you need to "test drive" it first to see what you like...

+ 1 bazillion

I choose the XD because the way it fit my hand. I've had other people say they were truned away from the XD because of the way it fit their hand. It's all personal preference. From my experience, both the Glock and the XD are going to be extremely reliable. I too am in the market for a new carry firearm. The big 4 I'll be looking at would be the XD9sc, Glock 19, Sig 239, and Sig 232. I've had a 232, but I sold it and regretted it immediately.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts