Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..just signed up for forum, thought i'd say hi.. great forum

currenty do not own a handgun, my previous experience has been with rifles and a cheap azz .380 that i had as a teen, when i was foolish.. but the last few weeks have been doing alot of research on which to buy..primary use will be for home/personal protection.

originally had glock .45caliber in mind, as well as s&w sw99, and berretta 9000s. once i got my hands one a 9000s, knew right away that was too small, pinky hanging off bottom and lil pop down extention from clip didnt help my comfort. so focused on .45 glock and sw99, glock obviously has a great reputation and light weight was obvious when i held it, but the sole problem i saw was the lack of a true safety, so took that one out of consideration (afraid i'd be clumsy one day and hurt myself or someone else).. left me with just sw99, but gun store i was at didnt have one on hand, but guy at counter suggested a XD40, something i missed in my research. after coming home and researching this handgun, i have to say, its soon to be a done deal.. selling points are grip activated safety, in pressure situations you dont want to worry about fumbling around to find safety release. also has great balance, i fired a glock today and seemed a little top heavy the more i fired off rounds and emptied magazine.

so all that being said , you might have guessed ..xd40 is the way im going.. probably go get make purchase on an xd40 this weekend, if i can find a store open day after xmas. if not, might wait for the gunshow near me the following weekend.

BTW, im in houston, tx, does anyone know cheap place to take the CHL class?

danny

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one-eyed-fatman said:
Don't know what part of town your from but you can check this place out.

http://www.cdshoot.com/concealedhandgunclasses/
thanks for the info, im actually clear on other side of town at 45south inside look (southeast area), but i dont mind the drive, esp since after lookin at that site seems like they are just what im looking for (beginners training available).

and to everyone, i apologize in advance, if i post something that seems like stupid question, but fact is im a retarded when it comes to semi-auto handguns.. have a bruised/swollen thumb right now as proof!!

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
There's a place in Friendswood you can go. I think they call themself's PSC. The owners seem to be kinda stuck up but it's 70.00 instead of the 100.00 people in Houston charge.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Go directly to the XD. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Find a good safety course. Your thumb will thank you for it! :wink:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You will definitely be happy with an XD. It is, bar none, the finest polymer handgun I've ever fired, and on top of that, one of the best performing and fun handguns that I've fired in general.

Do be sure to ask questions and hang out here too. These are some really great and knowledgeable guys.

Lets see some pics and a range report when you get it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
IMPALAon20s said:
BTW, im in houston, tx, does anyone know cheap place to take the CHL class?

danny
I took mine at American Shooting Centers. it was $150, 11hr course. the instructors are great and very very qualified. it was a wonderful experience.

welcome to the forums, dont forget to post in the Texas rollcall :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
IMPALAon20s said:
and to everyone, i apologize in advance, if i post something that seems like stupid question, but fact is im a retarded when it comes to semi-auto handguns.. have a bruised/swollen thumb right now as proof!!
You'll forget and do it again. I have scars on my left thumb from two separate instances with a KelTec. Once wasn't enough to teach me, not sure if two will be either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
....just throwin' in my $.02

For your first gun, I would go with the XD in 9mm. Your main goal is going to be to put many many rounds through it to get used to the gun, going to save yourself lotsa money in ammo with 9mm. Also, the recoil is substantially less, you'll be able to play longer at the range. I know the gun seems like a big purchase, but realize in 6months or less you'll have spent more on ammo than you did originally on the gun.

have fun!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Or buy the 40 and an extra barrel in 9mm for 150 bucks and have both guns. You can convert a 40 to a 9, but not a 9 to a 40.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nikon777 said:
ohhhhhh and the new guy gets stuck up for his avatar!
ha, wondered how long that would take..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rappy77 said:
Or buy the 40 and an extra barrel in 9mm for 150 bucks and have both guns. You can convert a 40 to a 9, but not a 9 to a 40.
probably go with your suggestion. but does anything else need to be changed besides barrel? magazine?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dammit..everybodys sold out of xd40's in town, and i was ready to buy today. rethinking xd9 now.. any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
IMPALAon20s said:
dammit..everybodys sold out of xd40's in town, and i was ready to buy today. rethinking xd9 now.. any thoughts??
my thoughts: be patient and get the gun that you want instead of settling for something you won't be quite as happy with.

check out www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com as well; that's where i managed to track my subby down.

good luck,

mr0w1

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Second on gunbroker.com--you'll have no trouble finding one at a good price there. Love my XD-40, looking forward to getting the conversion barrel (when my wallet recovers from Christmas shopping *whimper*). Excellent choice, and welcome.

·
Registered
112 Posts
To the forum a lot of helpful people on here and the Gun Course is a very good idea may save you a lot of grief if you ever have to use it to defend yourself. There are a couple of Grumpy Old Farts on here like me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts