Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I purchased a XDM .40 a few weeks back and finally made it out to the range. Historically I have been a 1911 guy and love them in fact my carry gun is a Wilson KZ45 compact. I purchased the XDM the first time I picked it up, just fit my hand perfectly. It is a fantastic gun and I have high hopes for it. Now I consider my self a decent shot because I can shoot 1" groups at 10 yards with with my wilson. I was hoping for similar results today with my XDM. However today at the range was very humbling. I could not hit a 6" paper plate at 10 yards to save my life. Shoot 150 rounds down range of WWB and only landed 15-20 on the paper plates.

Is there some trick to sight alignment on the XDM??? I will be going back in the next couple of days to try it again. But since I am already feeling so humble if anyone has any advice for me I all ears.

Thanks
Andy

PS
I have been reading this forum for the last week and there is a lot of great information on this site. This is definitely one of the better forums out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
work on that trigger control you are probably used to a single action trigger compared to the trigger on a xdm. Just dry fire it alot.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wilson is the best of the best. The XDm trigger you will have to get practice w/ . my XDm started hitting good groups in the bullsye after 150-200 rounds.
DONT SHOOT THE WILSON FOR SOME TIME...Keep practice w/ the XDM.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Every gun shoots different especially if you are going from a hammer system gun to a striker system. With a hammer operated gun the trigger bar basically pulls straight out of the notch in the hammer. A striker operated gun work by the sear rotating out from under the striker. In order to do the the sear actually pulls the striker back a little before releasing. You might try pre-loading the striker which basically means you hold the trigger just before the break point. After the striker's initial engagement you will feel it seem to get a little stiffer just before releasing. Try holding the trigger at that point and steady you sights before pulling the rest of the way through. This will not be as crisp as a 1911 but it will reduce your tendency to jerk once you engage the striker. Of course you can't do this if you are shooting rapidly but before long you won't even notice it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Lots of great infor here. Will see what happens next time I make it to the range, the good thing is that It cant get any worse

Andy

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thanks, Lots of great infor here. Will see what happens next time I make it to the range, the good thing is that It cant get any worse

Andy
You don't play golf, do you? You can always get worse....:p

·
Registered
265 Posts
this is funny, i can kind of relate.

I went to my cabin after recently purchasing a kimber 1911, i started with my XDm and did decent, nothing spectacular, but i was plenty combat accurate. I pick up my 1911 and start shooting, it has maybe a 3.5-4lb trigger and very different from the XD obviously, well i was shooting that better and after my box was gone, i went back to the .40 to use the rest of them..

I was throwing shots all over the place!!! i couldnt believe it, its crazy what you sub-conciously tell your finger, i had to rest it on the decks railing to get back near to what it was when i started.. they can be tricky, thats for sure.

as long as i dont start with my 1911, i can do ok with my XD's :) I had a friend who is an experienced shooter shoot the XDm and so he proved it was very accurate, i just need more practice $$

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The XDM will never compete with the 1911 in the trigger or precise accuracy arenas. The reason for the XDM is to get a lot of rounds into a combat accurate kill zone as fast as possible. If you shoot for enjoyment and carry for just in case reasons, you are probably better served with the 1911. If you train a lot and have a better than average chance of needing to defend yourself, the XDM is probably a better choice.

ranburr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well honestly I fall into the "If you shoot for enjoyment and carry for just in case reasons" catagory. Humm now I am second guessing my decision to try a DA style pistol. I would probably just sell it if it did not fit me hand so nicely. I guess I will give it a few more hundred rounds before I make another rash decision.

I performed a little experiment last night

for fun I took a laser pointer and wire tied it to both the slides of my
1911 and XDM. the result was dramatic when pulling the trigger on the XDM the laser is basically steady but on the XDM everytime I pull the trigger the laser shift to the left. My trigger finger is dramitically pulling the gun to the left.

Nothing worth doing is ever easy I guess.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I left the 1911 gang and defected to the XD's.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread-
Send that gun to Springer Precision and have a good trigger job done.

It will feel much closer to the 1911 trigger you're used to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
just went to the gun store to buy the XDM 9MM and they did not have it in the store yet I put some money down and they are going to order it for me I will have it in a few weeks. They did tell me something I did'nt know if you buy a XDM or XD between 10/15/2008 and 01/15/2008 springfield will send you 2 free magazines and a double magazine pouch all you need is the Gear Up Program Redemption Form and a copy of your original dated sales receipt.:p:p:p:p:p:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts