Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, new to the forum, and what a great forum it is. need some help. getting a xd-tac but can't decide on a 9 or a 40. help! also read alot about changing the spring to a #22 what does a new xd come with from the factory.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome!
I have an XD tact.in 9 mm. . It feels better to me. But its really what feels good to you. See if your local gun range rents the two and try them out.
As for the spring ,samething. Its all up to you. I use a 16 lb. spring. To me the 22 lb. is a bit to stiff for my use. I believe the factory spring is 18 lbs.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Welcome indeed! Tactical is a good choice...I have a service model myself and wouldn't trade it...mostly because it fits nicely in my little fingerprint safe and a tactical model wouldn't... Anyway, to the caliber...

Many here with .40's have also bought 9mm conversion barrels, and they work quite well. Barsto and EFK Firedragon are the options. I have the firedragon, and it works well enough for the range...wouldn't trust my life to it like I would the stock .40, mainly because of extraction issues.

You can also get a .357SIG barrel for the .40's...I believe just a stock SA .357 barrel will drop right into your slide. Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm biased toward the .40, but wouldn't advise against the 9mm. Good enough defensive loads in 9mm are being produced today, so either will get the job done in a "situation." The .40 guns are just a little more versatile.

Good luck in your choice--you can't really go wrong either way.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Join the Tac-9 family. Don't worry about rods and springs, use the money for 9mm ammo and be happy always! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
netrooper said:
hi guys, new to the forum, and what a great forum it is. need some help. getting a xd-tac but can't decide on a 9 or a 40. help! also read alot about changing the spring to a #22 what does a new xd come with from the factory.
Springfiled told me to use a standard 5" 1911 spring rated for 19 Lbs. That is what they use as stock springs. Choice of other spring ratings is up to you but be forewarned it could lead to timing problems and other issues.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
9 or 40, you are making a good decision w/ the tactical. I currently own 2 xd9 tac's and recently sold my first XD (also a xd9 tac) to my dad who was more than a little surprised at how well he shot it never having played w/ autos before. It is a very stable platform and if you are interested in competition at all, I would say 9. Reason for this is strictly finances. If you do nothing but shoot a local league, you will go through a case of ammo in 2-3 months. That price break on 9 vs 40 will be key to getting you out to the range to actually shoot the gun more too. Also, if you have friends/family you think you would like to get into shooting, the slightly tamer recoil from the 9 will be easier to use to introduce them to your new love, and if you decide later, you want the 40, you can always do like I did and sell your first 9mm to a good friend/family member and buy that purty new tactical in teh cal. of your choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts